3.2 Cab Antenna Electrics Q: | FerrariChat

3.2 Cab Antenna Electrics Q:

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Faber, Oct 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    #1 Faber, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi All - Great driving weather in Tx btw...So I replaced the limp blk antenna w/ an auto - reviewed some electrical threads but no idea where to hook up pwr etc - took some pics - right wheel well w/ antenna - rest are left well - speaker wire likely coming from 2 rear spkrs PO added into soft top "wells" - these don't work and I'll likely remove them but I've no idea where the wiring comes into the trunk - likely removed (?) - Also noted an unconnected wire coming off the drivers side operating light in rear (3d pic) - Had console out once and saw some disconnected wires in there - looked at trunk pads and there does not seem to be any wiring coming out of middle of trunk - 4th pic is drivers lights rear and 5th pic is speaker cable "tube" routing to front - any insights/recommendations and correct wiring pictures in that area would be appreciated - would like the antenna switch to function. Thanks,

Btw - Anyone know of source for that grey rubber in the rear trunk wells? Drivers side missing some -

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #2 Alden, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I assume a 3.2 had a power antenna originally, and that it operated via a switch... or did it automatically go up when the radio was turned on?

4. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    The power antenna is operated by a momentary contact switch on the console where the window, glove box and fuel door switches are located. By momentary contact I mean the antenna is not automatic, you have to push the "up" side of the switch and hold the switch to get full extension and release it when the antenna is fully up, reverse to put it down all the way.
    Alden

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    From my experience seals, gaskets and rubber parts are not that expensive when you get it from the Ferrari Dealer. It will cost you a bit more though, but you will safe out shipping costs and it is a direct fit. And... it is always fun to go to the Dealer. Recently sat in the new 488, awesome :) They are always very relaxed at least here.

6. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    There is a console switch to put it up/down.

However, it also goes up and down when the radio powers on/off. My car has a brown wire running into the console from the radio connector that controls the antenna up/down.
    I think this is something aftermarket, that a PO put in. Normally, the power antenna wire from a radio/stereo is blue/white.

This weekend, I replaced both the original radio (Alpine) and the existing power antenna. The Alpine will be going out for refurbishment. Replaced it with a cheap unit I bought at FRY's. It will only be in there for a short while, until the original Alpine is good again. I do like how easy it is to replace a radio/stereo in these cars. Everything is easy to get to, without having to crawl upsidedown under the dash.

The existing power antenna was sort-of-working, but reception was very bad. Bought a cheap Metra power antenna unit ($60) at Autozone. It slipped right in, with very little effort.

Sid

7. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks very much all - I'm gonna do more reading and likely remove console - previous antenna (12" blk bendable thing) is definitely aftermarket connected only via the large 1/4"? connector - no other wires coming into trunk excepting the 1) after market speaker wires, 2) wires to lights and 3) wire to trunk sensor. Appears O removed original wiring from antenna switch. Thanks very much again.

8. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Hi Tom

To get at the rear of the radio, and all the wiring, all I had to remove was the carpet covered portion in front of the console. 4 screws held it on (1 on the drivers side, and 3 on the passenger side). Once removed, all the radio wiring was easily at hand. And the original radio was easy to push out towards the front.

My car is older than yours, and appears to have been modified at some point, but here is what I found, in terms of wires:

1 Red Switched Power
    1 Yellow Constant Wire
    1 Brown Antenna Control wire (normally blue/white in modern cars).
    1 Black Ground wire - interestingly -this ran to a nut/post behind the passenger kick panel.
    if you remove this, be careful as the bottom screws go into sliding
    nuts that are easy to drop/loose inside the floor of the car.

1 Grey (RH pos) Speaker Wire
    1 Black (RH neg) Speaker Wire
    1 Green (LF pos) Speaker Wire
    1 Black (LF neg) Speaker Wire

And the large antenna cable.

That's it. Not a lot of wires compared to a modern car.

In my trunk area, I had 3 wires coming in through a hole near the top of the passenger side (in the wheel well area). 1 Red, 1 Blue and the Antenna cable. I'm only guessing at this part, as I didn't trace the wires all the way. The red is switched power, the Blue is the antenna control. I think the blue must connect to the brown, somewhere under the console.

I bought a cheap autozone ($60) power antenna (Metra PW22 I think). It fit perfectly in place of the original MX-4 (some chinese brand) power antenna.

Sid

9. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks very much Sid - this clarifies a lot - Now to block out some time...(-*

10. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    #10 Faber, Oct 6, 2015
    Discovered these unconnected wires - might these have something to do w/ the antenna? And what's that metal connector(?) on the right? Thanks,

11. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Looks like the fibre optic bundle

The Mondial was leading edge high tech at the time.

12. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    #12 Faber, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    LOL...and here I thought it was for a disconnected ejection seat.

13. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    LOL... you did not buy an Aston Martin.

14. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Indeed optic fiber and it gets illuminated by the metal casing. I assume you had no light on console center (markings next to buttons of the window etc) not that they illiminate much :) but I cannot live without during night drives.

15. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Ahh...Thanks - so the ends of these attach to what?

16. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    And....any ideas as to what the colored wires on the left connect to? (Appreciate your expertise & patience).

17. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Do you have working Fan, Heater, and cigaret lighter?

18. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    That's to have power on the rear cigarette lighter. The 3 optic wires are for the rear cigarette lighter too. They illuminate the 2 green stripes around the lighter.

Have a look at my YT vid and scroll to 03:00min
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuW_vQjinbs

19. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks all for your expertise! Will review links & vids above - Lighter does not work - Fan and heater (as I recall) do function - Thanks again -

20. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    FCnew, I apologize for doubting you - live n learn.

21. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Great videos MvT and thanks FCnew for the informative links - I only have an ashtray in the back so I suspect the wiring & fiber I'm viewing above wasn't employed. Will explore further - Thanks!

22. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Do you have videos showing the removal of the switch part of the console?

I've tried searching on youtube, and can't find anything.

Thanks

Sid

23. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    #24 Faber, Oct 6, 2015
  24. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Hi Sid, they were not public and the urls lived only within the Mondial section and my website. Here they are and at the same time I made them public.

All the best
    Tijn

Ferrari Mondial Front Silent block Replacement - Part 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Q1nlDMUBc

Ferrari Mondial Front Silent block Replacement - Part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maoRdsA5Dz0

Ferrari Mondial Front Silent block Replacement - Part 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX5cHdzmvm4

Ferrari Mondial Front Silent block Replacement - Part 4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuW_vQjinbs