Mondial vs CA emissions? | FerrariChat

Mondial vs CA emissions?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by davemqv, Oct 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 davemqv, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Are there any members here who have had to put their Mondial's up against the California smog emissions test? Do you pass?

I've noticed a lot of auctions for 308's (including Mondials) say that sale must be to dealer or out of state due to emissions in CA. Por ejemplo-
    http://auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=CA15&ID=r0073&Order=price&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=

Is this just a legal issue with the auction houses? Can't they be made to pass smog in CA? There must be a ton (relatively speaking) of 308's driving around CA, I assume legally.

If anyone here has experience with CA emissioins testing or has had to fix their car to pass smog in CA, I'd be curious to know what needed to be done and what the costs were, mostly because we may be moving back to CA at some point, and I'd like to bring the Mondial with me! Is it simply a matter of replacing the catalytic converter?

2. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Thats a Mondial 8 in the ad.

Not sure if it had CA emissions approval sticker originally...despite what ad says is a CA car...it was Al Davis not the most up and up dude

So here is what I can tell you, there are no CA legal cats......"offroad use only" wink wink nod nod
    buy before coming to CA at your NY address
    or keep it registered in NY

the carb Ferrari's seem to have issues sometimes

my 3.2 with cat has no issue passing smog

3. mistral95

mistral95 Rookie

Jun 19, 2015
    Paris France
    Simple!
    Bosch K-JET is German: Just activate the "test mode" in the Bosch ECU and it will pass the smog test!

4. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Don,
    Did you mean "no legal CA cars" vs "cats"?

I did buy already. :) Those auction ads just got me curious. That one is an 8 but I also saw a QV GTS in another ad with the same disclaimer. But I'm still interested in hearing what work/changes people have done to get their cars to get them to pass if they've failed CA smog at one point.

What year are your carb cars? Everything 1975 & before is exempt, right? In NY smog exemption just goes back 25 years from current date, so currently 1990! And even then if you can't get a newer car to pass you can get a waiver if you prove you've put $450 into the car to try and get it to pass after failing the first time.

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I'm just guessing but the earlier cars had smog pumps I believe. If all the equipment isn't in place it must be put back. If a dealer is selling a car, in CA when I lived there the seller was responsible for the car passing smog, I'm guessing unless they state in the ad. Car is probably missing parts or is a gross polluter. The dealer doesn't want to pay to make this car legal in CA. I had a shop in CA run my car as it sat and it narrowly failed. They said it wouldn't be a problem getting mine to pass. Mine was originally a CA car. I doubt Ferrari made two versions for the US, CA and everyone else as some manufacturers did at that time.

6. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    If I recall correctly the cars don't have to fully pass a test if they are beyond a certain age or are from out of state, but they MUST have all of the original smog equipment and an effort must be made for it to be functioning properly. Finding an operable smog pump at this age might be a bit challenging.

Out of state cars are also charged to come into California. I bought a car from a friend moving there since he had taken off all the emission controls and made too many irreversible modifications. His girlfriend just paid and took her (fairly modern and non-modified but not California) car.

I also think that the Mondials were 50-state cars, which became fairly common in the Fuel Injected world. I think the sellers just don't want any responsibility.

7. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Isn't there a storey out there about a People's Rebublik of Kalifornia DMV guy threatening to confiscate and crush a Dino because it couldn't pass smog, or something like that?

Are you certain about the age exemption there?
    Alden

8. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    The Republic of Texas, that is.

We don't smog test older vehicles. In fact, with a certain type of registration (Antique) you don't even have to go through yearly safety inspections.

If our Texas gobrnment every threatened to crush a Dino (or any vintage Ferrari), there would be armed rioters in the streets.

Oh, and we don't have a state income tax either!

Sid

9. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sid- Haha. Don't mess with Texas! NY doesn't smog test cars 25 years or older, which seems pretty civilized.

Dirk and Peter-
    I've heard of the "import tax" into CA. Just a cost of doing business, I guess. As far as my Mondial goes, the catalytic converter was blown out (water-jetted) by a previous owner after it started degrading. Based on that I assume I'd need to replace the catalytic converter, although the original is still in place (just empty). Sounds like it would be ok, just with some extra expense and maybe a few frustrating experiences at the DMV, my favourite!

10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I haven't heard that, and it sounds a bit like a tall tale. I was just reading the CADMV website last night regarding exemptions. As of today, any car up to 1975 is exempt. So that story would only hold water if were a later Dino, like a 308GT4. Even then it sounds unlikely that was the official policy. Half the lawns in Bakersfield are probably covered in rusting cars that won't pass smog but I haven't heard of anyone crushing them.

I'm in favour of saving the environment, but I'm also in favour of being reasonable. New York is actually quite reasonable in this regard. 25 years old or older and it's exempt. But with newer cars you can still keep them on the road if they fail smog, providing that you prove you've put at least $450 into repairs to fix the problem after it fails the first time. For 99% of cars that would likely fix the issue, and any cars that couldn't be fixed are probably old exotics, which must constitute such a small percentage of cars on the road as to be negligible. Never mind the fact that they're also unlikely to be daily drivers.

The CA laws seem to be skewed toward punishing old collector cars, intentionally or not. How many non-exotic/collector cars from the late 70's - 80's are even still on the road? The number must be very small.

OUR OLD FERRARIS ARE NOTHING COMPARED TO THOSE NEW VW'S!!!

11. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

This would make a good signature!!!

Sid

P.S - in the interests of full disclosure - I have to report that I have 2 European Diesels.
    2015 BMW X3d
    1985 Mercedes W123 300D Turbo

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    But, I read it on the internet, so it must be true! lol!
    Alden

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I just smogged my t over the weekend - passed in California

Has nouvalari sport exhaust

14. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Or you can move to one of these places.

Tried to copy a link. Do a search for counties in Ca that don't require smog. When I was younger Lake county didn't have smog checks. My Dad kept his old car registered there. That was before the 1975 rule. It was supposed to be a rolling rule and was turned over when 1975 was the newest non smog car. So now it's frozen at 1975.

15. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    No legal aftermarket "cats" in CA for our cars, and try to find a oem cat hahaha

CA smog is not rolling the dates, law applies statewide you can visit CA DMV website

the seller is responsible for smog

to register out of state car requires VIN check by LEO and smog cert

there are differences with F cars you have to have OEM CA emmisions sticker....this crap prevented me from buying Wades 3.2

16. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wait so unless the car was originally sold in CA there's no way to register it in CA now? Or am I misunderstanding?

17. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Don, Are the rebuilt original cats acceptable?

18. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Dave

let me be clear

look on your OEM emissions sticker right rear engine compartment next to intake filter box, it should state:

"complies to US EPA AND California emissions"

if no CA on sticker it keep it registered in another state or be prepared to spend alot of time and money dealing with CA referee with most likely no result

the sticker has nothing to do with being sold in CA originally, just that the emissions are CA compliant from the OEM

19. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    yes and please tell me who does this

20. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    #20 dfranzen, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    CA compliant emissions sticker applies to motorcycles also dont ask how I know......

this is the land of fruit and nuts hell the Governor on his own today enacted a law that companies have to be at 50% renewable energy by 2030 and they are passing a bill to outlaw federal oil leases on the left coast

Dave you should not have any trouble with CA emissions with your stock Mondial

ive bought a few out of state vehicles and know to look for the CA compliant emission sticker so there is no trouble

21. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #22 davemqv, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Don. Sorry for my confusion. My interpretation seemed like a stretch but I grew up in Santa Cruz and fully understand how strict and weird CA can be with this stuff, so who knows?

Really odd that no aftermarket cats are available. There seem to be these two for the 308/328/348 but maybe they don't fit the Mondial?...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. blownfuse

blownfuse Karting

Jul 16, 2012
    Campbell, California
    I took delivery of my Mondi 3.2 in Phoenix, thinking it'd be easier to smog there than here in CA.

Had to install new cats 'cause the previous owner gutted the old ones, so I gave it to the dealer, said "I'll take it back when you get it through smog".

2x smogs, even after new cats, plugs and a tune-up, no dice. I gave up, got a temp. moving permit, drove the car to CA, and it passed with no problems.

Whoda thought, Phoenix is stricter on emissions than CA?!?

23. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    "custom " fit means you gotta cut pipe to make it fit

look at the length dimension it goes past the oem flanges just sayin

24. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I was speaking with a mechanic today about putting the car back to OEM specs for CA smog. His advice was, "It's a pain in the ass to find the parts and too expensive. If you move to CA just register it in Montana."

Starting to sound like good advice!