How to disassemble the mirror? | FerrariChat

How to disassemble the mirror?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MvT, Oct 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #1 MvT, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guys, I will need to respray mirrors and I would like to take out the inner black plastic element, which is also the outer trim. I have been playing with it, but I see no chance to easily remove it other then with force and that is not what I like to do. Is this a one time click when they joined the two pieces?

Below just an example mirror to point out that I am talking about the black trim/inner element.

Would be great if someone knows how this has been put together :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MondialNeil

MondialNeil Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    They are BMW E24 6 series mirrors all bar the different mounting bracket which are interchangeable. I got 6 seiries mirrors to replace my broken ones, l just swapped over the Ferrari mounting brackets.

There should be a small hole on the bottom of the mirror, put a thin screwdriver in the hole and it should locate into a locking ring for the glass, turn the locking ring with the screwdriver to release the glass, once the glass is out it should be obvious how the black part comes out, from what I rememember it maybe locating tabs, haven't rebuilt one for a while.

3. MondialNeil

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    If there is no hole, tilt the mirror glass pushing on the top of the glass so it goes all the way back. Now go to the bottom of the glass which should be sticking right out, put your thin screwdriver now between the glass and the black plastic case to turn the locking ring to release the glass.

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Oh wow! That's great! I found the hole earlier, but I only saw a rubber sleeve when as far as you can look behind the mirror. There is a vid on how to remove the glass on a E24 and it seems these mirrors have heating elements!? Let's see if we can do it your way. Cheers Neil!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEmQvs1tubo[/ame]

5. MondialNeil

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Yes the E24 mirrors do have heating elements in the glass fed by 2 wires on the E24. I have used these E24 heated glass mirrors on my Mondi I just haven't connected up the heating element from the glass.

I hope all this helps you.

6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #6 MvT, Oct 9, 2015
    I do not particular like the Ferrari ones... The disassemble has been done, but you will need to sacrifice the rubber sleeve and some drilling is needed.

The glass was easy though, but then there is no other way to use a little drill to get to the back mechanism which clamps the outer trim. I'll make a video tomorrow to show you guys.

Time to sand and look for another sleeve :)

7. jackal_ns

jackal_ns Rookie

Jan 20, 2015
    Welcome yesterday replaced the entire wiring harness in the tunnel for a new left mirror works correctly but still do not know how to switch on the right rear-view mirrors with bundles of sticks out one white connector and do not know what should be connected to it :(

8. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Neil, according to my favorite used BMW parts man there are two different configurations for the mirrors on the BMW E24. "There are 2 parts that may fit 1988 BMW 635csi 2DR E24 based on vehicle production date, VIN range, engine and/or transmission type, etc......."

Do we need to know which configuration we need? The two BMW part numbers are left hand 51161874927U or 51161925713U and right hand 51161904444U or 51161925750U. You have any part numbers on yours or other info? Thanks

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #9 MvT, Oct 10, 2015
  10. MondialNeil

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Porphy

The only 2 types I know of for the E24 are Chrome and SCHWARZ.

11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #11 MvT, Oct 11, 2015
    Just need to see how the paint will dry over time as I normally do polishing after 4 weeks, just polished it and I am a satisfied Ferrari mirror owner :)

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    the light bulb seems closest to a thumbs up :D

13. kinnie

kinnie Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    Belgium - Aarschot
    Full Name:
    Kinnie Van Gelder
  14. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Thanks for the info. It would be of interest to know which part number refers to which part chrome or black. I guess one could paint the chrome model? I will try to find out.

15. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Ok, so I have learned from a BMW fanatic that they came only in chrome and black is painted like any other color that you might come across.

There are even different part numbers for US and Europe. not sure about the difference.. None so I have been mentioned.

Euro
    51161874929 = Left mirror Chrome
    51161874928 = Right mirror Chrome

U.S.
    51161874927U/51161925713U = Left mirror Chrome
    51161904444U/51161925750U = Right mirror Chrome

Note as mentioned before by MondialNeil: The mount is diffent then the Ferrari one. Probably pressed into the aluminum housing. Heating it up with a torch after disassembly it will most likely fall out so you can swap the mounts.

Thx guys! now the rest of the Mondi :p