Question.. What cam pulleys do most QV's have on? | FerrariChat

Question.. What cam pulleys do most QV's have on?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Roward7, Oct 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #1 Roward7, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi All,
    Interested to know what cam pulleys everybody's QV's have running...
    Mine has the plastic kind, but the rims have broken off and I have been told they do fail so looking to change them over to full metal pulleys, any thoughts or experience with ether version?
    Do full metal ones wear the cam belts more?
    Cheers
    Rob.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Hi Rob, yes the plastic ones do fail when getting older. I have seen two Mondials with plastic cam pulleys and if I bought either of the two I would have changed these pulleys for metal ones without a thought. Newer Mondials come with metal ones anyway. Ferrari did quite quickly changed to metal ones.

SuperFormance has a set of 4 made out of aluminum. They are not cheap, but having your valves dancing in the engine bay will be a pricy repair too. Or get used metal ones.

3. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Tijn,
    Which part are you referring to? I can't find it on the Superformance website.

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
  5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
  6. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi Tijn, have you used the pulleys from Superformance?? was told that they have worn not so well for someone else (Soft Alloy), so interested if others have had a better experience.
    R.

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
  8. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Does anyone know if the later drivers and pulleys (assuming made from metal?) from the 3.2 will fit the QV? As opposed to replacing with OEM plastic or aftermarket aluminum?

Ferrari Mondial 3.2 QV (1987) - Timing System - Controls: Page 008 | Order Online Eurospares
    Ferrari Mondial 3.2 QV (1987) - Timing System - Controls: Page 008 | Order Online Eurospares

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #9 MvT, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Dave, they will not fit as the 3.2 has a slidely different fit from what I have seen and some more teeth I believe. Also the 3.2 you will need to lock the pulleys to do the belts and on a QV and earlier you can lock the cam itself on the outside. The 3.2 simply does not have that space.

1st is QV clamp (behind the pulleys) pic is from Birdman's 308
    2nd is 3.2 clamp (between the pulleys) my 3.2 :)

10. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The hub centering ring on the pulleys is different between the 2V and some QV's to the 3.2. on the early stuff it's 1mm larger in Dia. The QV's have both depending on the change over yr. early Qv's tend to share the same ID Dia as the 2V and the later QV's are the same as the 3.2. What that means is that it is possible to fit the later 3.2 metal pulleys to the early 2V by reaming open the hub centering ring dia. However Ferrari did make steel pulleys for all variations, the trick is finding them. I've got some of the later 4V steel ones, sent the last early 2V set off to Germany the other week.