Battery Tender | FerrariChat

Battery Tender

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by drbruno, Oct 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Suggestions for a battery tender for my 1989 Mondial t cab? Do you connect them directly to the battery? I currently have one, but it does not fit the cigarette lighter receptacle.

2. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I like the Battery Minder, but Battery Tender is also good. Put a set of ring terminals on the battery, and then just plug in when you want to connect.

Regards,
    Jerry

3. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    search CTEK in the classifieds they are about $60

they are the same as F OEM

harbor freight has cheapies for 9.99

mine is from Sears and actually is double sided taped to the battery just plug my cord into the bay

4. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Is it constantly attached to the battery terminals and you simply plug it in to an outlet?

5. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    So I'm guessing no one plugs into the lighter receptacle?

6. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yes. There is a pretty standard connector with a cover on the connector with the ring terminals. When not in use, cover the connector.

To connect, I open the hood, plug in the connector and then plug in the BT to the extension cord. I purposely leave my hood unlatched so I don't forget to unhook before I pull out (just ask my significiant other about doing that!!! :( )

I do not use the cig lighter console, not sure anyone does ( I think it is key powered).

Regards,
    Jerry

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    For Mondials 3.2 the cig lighter is not key powered. For the T I don't know, but you can do an easy check. See if your phone is charging when you plug it in :)

Ps. if you charge directly on the battery, take of the power using the power off switch that is next to the battery. You would not be the first to fry the Mondial's ECU. The battery has been tucked away deep and the chance in touching any of the metal around it is high. ;) Also use the switch when taking out the battery.

8. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #8 Alden, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 3.2 came with a factory installed plug near the battery for the emergency light. It is wired directly to the battery, I plug my charger in there.

I did have to run new wire from the plug to the battery, the original wiring was bad.

The plug looks like a lighter plug, but is not, it is a little different, found on BMW motorcycles too.

Plug can be found here:
    DC 12V 24V 1 5A Motor Car Power Adapter Cigarette Lighter Plug for BMW Motorbike | eBay

Pics of my female plug location next to the right headlight below.
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Oh wow! I don't have that one! But then I also do not have the one in the engine bay near the oil cooler :)

10. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    +1 for the CTEK tenders mentioned above that are for sale in the classified forum. I couldn't be happier with mine.

11. nygts

nygts Rookie

Sep 26, 2011
    CTEK, same as what others mentioned above. works great.

12. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Any particular CTEK model that you recommend?

13. Karsya Eins

Karsya Eins Karting

Jun 17, 2014
    Albany, NY
    Full Name:
    Demostene Romanucci
  14. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
  15. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    BATTERYMINDER 1500 12V 1.5A MAINTENANCE CHARGER / DESULFATOR from Aircraft Spruce Canada

I have liked this one from Aircraft Spruce (it's in Canada, lots of other items for car maintenance, sound deadening, etc. although directed at the small aircraft owner)...Very compact, whole units plugs into the wall, and I hard wired the disconnect wiring permanently on the battery, very simple to do. Also desuphanates which extends the battery life.

16. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Lots of good ones noted here; use whichever one you want. The one I use costs only $25.

BatteryMINDer Plus Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator — 1.3 Amp, 12 Volt, Model# 12117 | Battery Maintainers| Northern Tool + Equipment

Not sure why you would want to pay more just because the battery being charged is on a Ferrari... :)

Regards,
    Jerry

17. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    This is what I've used for years. Where "Battery Tender" has failed in the past to recycle after normal voltage drain, this $30.00 or so, Schumacher tender has yet to be fooled.

Schumacher SEM-1562A-CA 1.5 Amp Speed Charge Battery Maintainer

Cheers,

Hank

18. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The Battery Minder 1500 replaces the older 12117 version noted at Northern Tool, and has different microprocessor control, will apparently start to desulfonate at a lower voltage threshold than the older model. But I agree, the old discontinued model works just fine, if you can get old stock at a good price than that makes sense.

Also, the Aircraft Spruce price is Canadian dollars, which is unfortunately at present is at a 30% discount to the USD, and the ship cost is higher too, so the to the door price difference is not much in the end. We also pay 13% total sales tax on everything. So if you think maintaining a Ferrari is pricey in the States...

Mondial's are scarce in Canada. I would take a guess that there are maybe 10 to 20 cars actually on the road? There seem to be a few more T's than other variants, I have seen a beautiful blue one once.

The few QV's that surface seem to be very well maintained. 3.2's rarely come up. Only seen one hardtop T years ago, a white one, it was quite striking, otherwise all cabs. All just anecdotal observation of course, from a Toronto vantage point.

19. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

For some reasons unknown,
    it seems most of the Canadian Mondial went to Quebec.

20. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
  21. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
  22. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    My 87 Mondial came with a Schumacher tender mounted in front and connected to the battery. I plug the electrical cord into a timer and run for two, two hour periods a day. Have used it for two years without any problems. The one time I did not use it and let the car sit for almost three weeks the car did not start. Always used from then on.