Love for the Mondial - PLEASE! | FerrariChat

Love for the Mondial - PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jimzdancewicz, Nov 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Sorry if this is an old subject, but just came across this post for the opening of the "Museo Ferrari" in June of 2013.

Montezemolo inaugurates the new Museo Ferrari

In this segment they highlight the special exhibit “From Cinecittà to Hollywood" That highlights the significant Ferrari's in movies. Here is an passage:

(Showcasing the 275 GTB4 which was owned by Steve McQueen, the Mondial T Cabrio driven by Al Pacino in “The Scent of a Woman’” and the spectacular one-off from an American collector, inspired by the 330 LM and used by Federico Fellini in “Spirits of the Dead.”)

So, how can the Mondial t share the spot light with the 275GBT4 & the 330LM as a significant on-screen representation of the brand and yet still be considered among critics as one of the "Lesser" Ferrari models?

I read many articles that call them the "Bargain Ferrari" or "Not a real Ferrari" Yet, we "The Faithful" love them.

We need a "Love for the Mondial" Campaign and we need it now!

(Or, we just keep it our little secret and leave "non-believers" in the dark whilst we enjoy these fabulous cars)

2. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Let the nay-sayers on the other side of the river, drinking their own believe.

Let us enjoy our precious little gem, which has affordable parts and isn't overvalueded by the 'market'.

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Jim,

We love them -------- and that's all that matters. The more we try to convince the "non-believers", the more we appear as "needing" acceptance and approval.

I've been convinced by whatever device, and that works for me. The rest can own and drive whatever they wish. I'll just wish them a safe and happy drive :):)

Cheers,

Hank

4. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    I do a lot of car shows with other way more pricey F cars, yet most of the time my Mondial gets all the attention! Its the car to Luv. And there must be a good reason it had a 13 year production run.

5. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Howie, we must share a bottle of red, one day.

Cheers,

Hank

6. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Hi Hank, thanks for the offer but I do not drink or smoke. What else you got?

7. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    I think, the problem is, that the Mondial is NOT the typical Ferrari for "Non-Ferraristi". The "people on the other side of the river" only know the "famous" Ferraris, the GTOs , The GTBs , the GTSs.
    Years ago, I didn't like the Mondial, because I "was not ready" for a Mondial. I loved my famous 250 GTE , 308GT4, 308GTB and GTS, but a Mondial ? never ! It was "too special", not "Ferrari enough".
    Now the Mondial is my fifth Ferrari within 12 years and it is VERY SPECIAL - positive !
    It has everything a classic Ferrari needs to be classic and also everything you need to drive today with. It is the perfect symbiosis of a classic with a modern Ferrari.
    It has the reputation to be a "cheap Starter", a bargain, the possible first Ferrari for a beginner, but that is totally wrong, because you need a lot of experience with other Ferraris to love him and to really know him. It is the totally wrong car to be someones first Ferrari.
    IMO the Mondial will ever stay as something extravagant and that's really good.

8. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I took mine out for an ice cream run last night.

The two comments I got from folks at the ice cream shop were identical:

"That is the coolest car I have seen in a long time."

People love the Mondial in person. It's the internet trolls who read "Mondial," Google it, because they don't know what it is, and then start piling on with negative comments, partly due to jealousy that they don't own a Ferrari.

As has been said, folks love the car more than the newer ones at car shows too!

I love mine, when you read my obit, see my widow about buying it, until then I plan to drive the snot out of it!
    Alden

9. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    at car shows people seem to enjoy my Mondial, even when parked next to a P1

people love talking about the car, and I always accommodate requests, from young and old, to sit in the car and have their friends take pics

sid

10. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    #10 jimzdancewicz, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Perhaps the best reason to own a Mondial t is this! I have had the most amazing dives and trips with my 3 sons in this car. You can't do that in any other exotic. If i had to sell it tomorrow, I'd be a happy man with the memories it's given me and my family!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    We call that miles of smiles.

12. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I took my t coupe out for a blast today.

The car amazes me every time I drive it, which is sparingly as of recent years. It is better than much of the stuff out there today. And it's fast!

Had the sunroof open on a 65-degree day in NY. Who's better than a guy in an F-car with a sunroof!!!

:)

13. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Wow Jim, I would never guess that those three totally cool looking kids, could be yours.:):) Of course, I kid. Talk about genetics at work!!

Cheers & be well,

Hank

14. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Took mine to the dentist today. Sorry no pictures. His wife is the secretary and saw my shirt. I told her to look out the window. Darn near knocked me over to get out and look at it. It's like that every where. If you don't like crowds and questions drive a chevy. Otherwise drive a Ferrari.

15. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    #15 Stackhouse, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Friend and designer Camilo Pardo stopped by the house a few months back and couldn't stop talking about the Mondial in addition to his praises for the car he noted something interesting...

He said, "you know the Mondial is the ONLY V8 mid engine four seat cab ever produced."

I never thought of how unique the layout of the Mondial really is and how significant that is in the history of the automotive design.

The Mondial bashers only bashed because there were other options in their price range that were more attractive. Now those options are out of reach making the Mondial the proverbial Black Swan, soon to be catapulted into the stratosphere!

Simply put, a total production run of 6,124 cars world wide, and an absolute joy to drive, plus the 2+2 factor and elegant design. The Cab especially , I liken it to sliding into a leather lined Italian brief case! I don't know how many cows sacraficed their lives to line the interior of this car but there is not a day that goes by when I slide into the drivers seat and sincerely thank them for their sacrifice ;)

Enjoy them, the Mondial is a rare and unique car that will follow the Dinos into the stratosphere!

One day you will look back at this post and I will say... "I TOLD YOU SO!"

;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #16 2281GT, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Sorry, but he's wrong !

The 308GT4 was the first in 1973, the Mondial is "only" the successor.

regardless of that fact, the mondial is a real beauty and a very special F-Car

17. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Only 8 cylinder, mid-engined, four seat convertible, actually. The 308gt4 shares the honor as a coupe. He was correct that the no dial has a unique place though.

I don't know that we'll see Dino-like appreciation. Generally, four sweaters don't garner the same attention as the two-seat brethren, but I'm certain we'll see the Mondial continue to gain value.

Drive and enjoy!

18. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    oops, dont know why I put "Coupe" , had coupe on my mind when I typed that.

Thanks for the correction.

:)

19. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Both are real winners.

20. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I got the itch the other day and inquired about a 348. It was an absolutely beautiful car in need of repair. Priced very fairly. I got googley eyed. After some consideration I contacted the owner and thanked him for his time. I looked at his car, then at mine, then his and then mine. I had the angel on my left shoulder reminding me of all the work and money and love that I had invested in this car. Then I had the devil saying "screw it buy the 348!". The angel won. I have to remind myself that Ferrari ownership for me is living within your means. I am so happy and thankful for what I have I am going to leave well enough alone.

21. ddenboer

ddenboer Karting

Sep 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    David denBoer
    My son and I were driving down 280 in San Jose with the top down and had a car race up beside us to take pictures. It's a fun car and a head turner.