Options for eliminating the cats on a t? | FerrariChat

Options for eliminating the cats on a t?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by s38junkie, Nov 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. s38junkie

s38junkie Karting

Jun 18, 2011
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike K
    So this is a horrible introduction.... I just bought my t Coupe last weekend (red on creme). It's in for its major service and while the engine was out I was thinking of eliminating the cats. I see Fabspeed makes straight pipes for the 348 - will these work on the Mondial? Are there other options out there? Would I be making a mistake by doing this?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #2 Alden, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    Ferrari Mondial T 3 2L 89 93 51mm 200 Cell High Flow Cats Test Pipe Pipes | eBay

I did not remove mine, I found out that the previous owner had gutted it. (I only have one on my 3.2) A single test pipe for my car was only $200 though.

I don't have an opinion or the expertise to discuss this mod, I know I don't have to worry about my cat overheating anymore.

Some say you should remove the cats and replace them with straight pipes because you will be better flow thru the pipes than thru a gutted cat. Not sure if it is worth the cost difference.

If you remove your cats and replace them with test pipes you will lose some points in a judged show, but you can always put the stock cats back on if you want. You may also not pass emissions in some areas without the cats. They do turn some of the nasty stuff in your exhaust to less nasty stuff.
    Alden

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I can tell you from experience that catless exhaust systems stink... literally.

4. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Agreed on the stink factor. When my car was in for service, I found that the cats had been gutted. My car did not pass emmissions and really smelled like exhaust fumes. I had the cats recored....passed emmissions and the smell (and fume headaches) are gone.

5. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

THe exhaust fumes are noxious, harmful, poisonous, and very unpleasant gases.

Because of the cat, the engines are able to go without other power robbing anti-pollution devices.
    The car is tuned to produce more power, thus more pollutants.

Would you want to breath these corrosive pollutants into your lungs?
    Even in small amounts, but repeatedly, while your car is idling in the garage or on your driveway?

Don't do it; you are harming yourself more than the environment.

6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Oh, and BTW... ZFFFD32A0K0081575 ?

Congrats on your t Coupe purchase and welcome the World (Mondial).

7. s38junkie

s38junkie Karting

Jun 18, 2011
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike K
    #7 s38junkie, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, that's the one Wade and thank you! I think everyone on this thread has convinced me to leave the car stock.... for now :) I will revisit exhaust options in the future once I put some more miles on the car and form my own opinion. But the cats will stay now for sure.

More pictures and a proper introduction coming once I get the car back from its major service. Here's a few I snapped on Friday with the motor out...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Sweet! And that's the way to do it. In other words, buy a car that's ready for service and establish your own baseline. And afterwards, great times ahead!

Can I suggest filling out some basic info on your profile (general location, Mondial version and etc.)? This helps others if/when assistance is needed in the future. As you may already know, there are similarities amongst the Mondial range, and considerable differences as well.

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    :D

I don't mind smelly ladies!

----------------------

I guess the old Dodge SS charger is not loved anymore? Sometimes we have discussions over here about the smell factor and we all agree it is not that bad even to a point where you almost don't smell it. Indeed some cars are smelly, but that is more because they consume more oil then they should and are running too rich. Most cars before 1992 are catless here.

I say go Euro spec :) = catless

10. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    IIRC, one of the reasons owners remove the cats, in addition to wanting the car to be "Euro spec" and gain a few HP, is that the thermocouples and ECU unit for the cats are prone to failure, and expensive/difficult to find when you need them.

All 1960's-70's Muscle cars and early Euro spec F cars have aromatic exhaust.

"Smells like victory." ;-)
    Alden

11. s38junkie

s38junkie Karting

Jun 18, 2011
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike K
    Great suggestion. Done.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I believe removing the cats nets you +4hp and +5lbs of torque. A little bit more...unfortunately here is ultra strict California - not even an option for me! I barely passed smog last time! I've thought of the idea of removing and putting back on when smog tests come - but it was too much trouble for me! I'm hoping California implements some sort of rolling smog policy - it really should apply to new cars, specialty cars and exotics should be exempt. '

Just my $0.02 - as far as the smell, that's all up to personal tolerance levels - and the environment - I think in 50 years time - internal combustion cars will be a novelty as we move to all electric, so it doesn't bother me long term.

13. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If these are truly high flow cats, then it is the best of both worlds. I don't know what is stock, most cars come with 400 cell cats. 200 cell would be a noticeable upgrade, and noise level would still be tolerable. At under $1k for 2 cats, I would certainly investigate this. If just test pipes, then pass. I do agree not to go with the "no cat" option.

Regards,
    Jerry

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Then can I suggest the proper spelling for your country, Nederlands? :D

Over here, maybe it's the corn (ethanol). Years ago, after putting headers on my TR8, I added two universal hi-flow cats to get rid of the acrid smell. Sounded awesome too since they replaced the center mufflers (still had the OEM resonator tips).

15. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I removed my Cats on the T during major over the summer. I don't have to worry about emissions in AZ since the car is registered as a collector car. A little bump in performance, but I have not seen any issue with smell or downside at all. I do believe the engine compartment is a bit cooler, which is another benefit.

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Mike (Jealous here in strict Cali) when removing the cats - do you have any issues with the O2 sensors or warning lights etc?

Cheers

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Paul

No O2 problem or TCU problem on a T with the cats removed. Life just goes on.

18. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    hahaha, then you know there is a worse smell other then a pre '92 car. Scooters.. get a Two-stroke engine Vespa infront of you (and there are a lot) you will have an instand headache (Sorry Bart!) :) luckily we are on the edge of banning Two-stroke engine scooters/mopeds from the inner cities. But then what's next? :eek:

19. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Banning scooters from the cities! That is one of my favorite images of Europe: crowds of folks scurrying around through the streets on scooters, Vespas!

But I guess and image doesn't smell so..............
    Alden

20. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    That would bring Bangkok to a stand still !! :):)

Cheers,

ank

21. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    For inner cities, whatever happened to...?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcGmJ4lz8oo[/ame]

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The "Euro" spec is "without cats" on the 3,0 and 3,2 Mondials only. I have read that for the "T", only the first 40 or so cars produced on the "Euro" specs were without cats (Although I have never been able to cross-check this information). All Euro "T"s after this first batch do have cats indeed, as the emissions laws were coming in effet in Europe starting in 1990, depending on the country.
    (except for Switzerland, which had already emissions laws in 1987 - although being geographically in Europe, it is not in the E.U)

Rgds