My T Died - Advice? | FerrariChat

My T Died - Advice?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jimzdancewicz, Nov 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Hello All. The t died in my drive way while i was putting it into the garage?. Left it idol as I got out to open my door, then got back in and went to put it in gear and it stalled and is subsequently stone dead?

Backstory:
    I had trouble starting it Sat AM due to the cold. I put the battery tender on it for 30 minutes and it cranked enough to start and then ran great all day. Literally drove it all day to cars and coffee in West Chester Pa. then ran errands all day and it ran perfect.

Today (Sunday) another cold morning, but I had the tender on it all night and it started first try.
    Drove it for more errands and then the above happened.

Turn the Key and nothing, no dash lights, no door buzzer, nothing. HOWEVER, the following still work. Radio, Headlights, Hazzards, Anntenna, Power door locks, automatic seat belts.

I checked the fuses by the ECU's but all looks good. Seems like a relay due to the suddenness.
    Anyone have any ideas?

2. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Sounds like Battery a cell is dying so may barely work and operate some lights but no Amps to turn engine

cold weather brings out these issues

local autozone/napa can check it for you

what is the expiration on the battery?

3. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    I think dfranzen is correct - the battery is dying.

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Start with simple stuff first. Battery likely gone. Often can ave enough juice to run some lights etc but when pressed harder to crank the engine nothing. The fact that it could hold a charge the day prior can just be luck or the battery could be ok and it's not getting charged while the car is running, bad alternator, voltage regulator. When you charge the battery it has enough life for X amount of time but if its not getting maintained while driving its just done at some point. Test battery and alt, if both ok then you'll have to move on the sensors and relays, fuses

5. s38junkie

s38junkie Karting

Jun 18, 2011
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike K
    I agree, very likely a battery. I had the same thing happen on my Alfa - drove 2 hours straight, shut the car off for 5 minutes and it was dead. Not even a crank from the starter. Replaced the battery and all has been well for the 6 months.

6. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Thanks all. Battery replaced in June. Can't imagine it's that. I made progress swapi g out the key switch relay. However it cranks once or twice then dies. I take relay out tap on it a few times. Try it again and it dies. Thinking it's the relay

7. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Well, if relay,you can bridge the contacts to check it out. Should be plenty of relays to swap around (make sure it has the identical number) But if not enough juice, the fuel pump isn't going to work. Two bad relays? Not likley

I have a battery tender and a jumper pack. Can you either put a jumper pack on the car or get a jump the old fashioned way? If a jump, I like to turn on some electrics to minimize the spike. Parking/running lights are good for that.

If it won't start, then battery is not (your only) issue.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Swapped it out with a few others and it's still dead. I tried the same relay after waiting a few minutes and it intermittently cranks. Hmmm.

9. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Pretty much tells you it is NOT the relay.

I did have something similar one time. One of my trunk mounted ignition modules went bad, car would not run, even though the other module was good. Not sure why, but when diagnosed, we could run both banks by tapping into the good module and "jumping" the bad one. Once the bad module was replaced, the car ran perfectly.

Pretty unusual and unlikely, but throwing it out there. From what little we know, it still sounds like lack of power to run the fuel pump.

Regards,
    Jerry

10. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    lets start with the basics:
    1) the starter motor turns
    no
    - seriously check the date on the battery
    - is the battery charged? a tender will not charge a low battery
    - bypass the starter relay with a wire
    -is there voltage at the starter
    yes
    check the fuel pump relays
    spay cleaner in all relay contact in fuse block

please report back

11. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Even though the battery was recently replaced does not mean things are ok with it. Did you try to jump start it? Maybe the alternator is not charging the battery? Again did you try to jump start it?

12. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Thanks for all the advice. Trying to clarify the issue. I think I have to rule out the battery as it started this morning and several times before this happened.

Also, the thing that is odd is how it died from idol. It was running smooth, then just stopped and was dead. By dead i mean that when you turn the key nothing happens, no dash lights, and it won't start. The other things work (radio, head lights, etc.

Could a starter issue, be causing the relay to stop the starting sequence?

13. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

The following is NOT an instruction. Don't do it.

In the old days, we could start a car with the car thief method...
    use a screwdriver to momentarily short out the starter, or the starter solenoid.

I would not suggest anybody to try it; you need someone who knows the car to do it properly and safely.

The idea is, this method can be used for troubleshooting -- ie. isolate the problem to the starter, or the solenoid, or the electrical source.

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Have you checked that both your battery cables are clean and tight. With the recent swap out its something worth a check. Also if you can get it running and youre inthere, check to see that the alt is in fact providing juice to the battery when running. Battery cut off switch ?

15. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I had a problem with a battery after 4 months, could not believe it was the problem and spent lots of time trying to diagnose. It WAS the battery, and I can't remember what the parts guy said but the failure rate is way higher than you would expect, they swap quite new ones for replacement routinely, that's why battery warranties are probably the only warranty that has value to a consumer. Check the water levels in the cells, if low, might be an overcharging condition that killed the battery. If not low, then could still be a failure of a cell. Need to try a fresh battery before anything else.

16. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Easier way to bypass the starter. Simply push start the car. You need 2 or 3 guys to push, get it rolling at least about 5 mph and pop the clutch in 2nd gear with the key "on". Another advantage of a 3 pedal manual. Or you can get another car behind and push it along, but at a minimum I would put some type of cover over the rear bumper. The latter method is not recommended as you need to be extra careful.

If it does not start, it is not the starter............

Even though you have "ruled out the battery" have you tried either a jumper pack or a jump start? That would rule out the battery.

BTW, is this a Valeo car? If so, it there something telling the computer the car is not in neutral and therefore will not let the car turn over?

Regards,
    Jerry

17. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Was I the only one who thought the thread title said "Mr. T died - Advice".

I hope you get her running again. :^)

18. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would use a multimeter to measure voltage of battery, then if she starts measure it with alternator running. Its something electrical, ground loose, check post cable and turnoff knob as well??? also could be starter or ignition switch going bad. does not sound like spark or fuel or air problem at this stage in the diagnosis.

best

19. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Thanks Gang. going to start trouble shooting with multimeter and see where i get. Jerry, this is a Valeo, however it's not the neutral start issue. I had that and had it sorted.

Main issue is there is no power when you turn the key, no dash lights and therefore won't start.

More to follow. Keep the advice coming!

20. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    As Mike mentioned, the ground is a common point of failure. Either the one for the battery and/or the one from the engine to the frame. Plus the cutoff switch like The Meister suggested.

I had the exact same problem on another car, turn the key and nothing. Turns out, some corrosion had built up under the battery ground to body. And it was completely undetectable visually.

21. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1 My Mercedes died one morning last March after a long cold winter. Turned out to be the battery. Replaced it myself with some battery I got from Autozone. Worked for a week then died again. Took it in to my mechanic, Problem was still the battery. The one I'd bought was basically a piece of junk and not adequate for the car. They dropped in a new one, and the car has been fine ever since.

22. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Could it be a bad ignition switch?

23. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Jim

OK you have narrowed it the to the starting system.

1) Question No dash lights Are you referring to the abs and other instrument lights that normally come on with the key?

2) Try some easy electric checks
    key off:
    parking lights Y/N
    courtesy light Y/N
    If No check battery connections/battery

key on:
    head lights Y/N
    window Y/N
    brake lights Y/N

If No check battery connections/battery
    If yes then check for voltage into the starter relay in the fusebox

24. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    It's Fixed! After the trouble shooting went beyond my skill, i sent her up to see Tony at Scuderia Performante. Tony quickly diagnosed it as the fuse box and promptly repaired it.
    Didn't need to complete rebuild thank god! I'm back on the road to enjoy the last of the warm fall days. Happy Thanksgiving everyone and thanks for all the advice.

25. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Awesome Jim!

could you find out exactly what it was in the fuse box and post for future reading?