Group holiday with a Mondial | FerrariChat

Group holiday with a Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MvT, Dec 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #1 MvT, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mondial group holiday drive.

Jonathan & Paul triggered me to post my thoughts that I have for while when placing my parked Mondial at the Ferrari factory. We are so lucky that Italy is drivable for us here in Europe and I cannot describe the sensation that goes through your mind driving your Ferrari on Italian ground! It's just crazy the attention you get from the sidewalks and sometimes the privileges that come for free driving around on holy ground.

Most have seen my trips to Italy together with other fchat members who were all driving other types of Ferraris and the fun we have, places we visit, see super cars from the past and present and people we meet.

wouldn't it be fun to share this experience with folks on the other side of the pond!?

So I had this thought of gather up some of the people here in Benelux, UK and other border countries to form a group to drive for a week to Italy. Ok so then we have a group and a driver, but no copilots yet ;) and here is they idea to have people from the other side of the pond comes with us :D For me it is not a problem that the person can drive as well. This is something we do also when I go out with local Fchatters.

We drive in convoy to Italy passing 2 or 3 countries in 2 days. Along the way we see some super car related sightseeing. Spend 3 days in Italy Modena, Maranello and if it is possible visit the Ferrari factory. Drive back again doing the same thing.

In our group we make use of portophones when dryving in convoy together with some rules to make it safe and that we can stick together as a group.

To give some details:
    A journey like this is about 5000 kilometer (3500 miles)
    when in Europe a trip like this is approx. 1100 euro (This includes hotel, B&B, petrol, food and drinks)
    The amount mentioned is Per Person when share the cost of Petrol with the co-pilots. The Mondial will drink about 700 euro on petrol on such trip.

Wouldn't this be a great thing to do to share such an experience?

So now the question in Europe is in for this? :)
    And.. who likes to join us from the other side of the pond? We would be dependent on how many European Mondial owners are in for such a trip unless you want to ship your own Mondial to Europe :p

So.. anyone? :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    I have been wondering for some time, why we don't organize something like a Mondipalooza here in Europe. This would make for a great way to have a gathering and a destination for us Mondi owners in Europe.

I did do a visit to Italy and Maranello in 2014 but before my Mondi was really sorted out. I would love to make another trip, now one with confidence in my car, and with a group of others. I totally agree about the wonderful welcome we would receive. In my 3000 plus kilometers up and down Italy, I saw only one other Fcar outside of Maranello. Everywhere I went, it was a big grin and thumbs up.

For those of us coming from other than the north of Europe (I live in SW France) perhaps a meetup at the National Car Museum, Shlumpf collection, in Mulhouse would mean a one day drive for all of us. It is truly one of the world's great car museums.

From there the drive goes down through Switzerland and the Alps that would lend itself to pass through Berne, Lucarno, Logano, Lake Como to Monza (perhaps a visit to the track). Then Milan, Piacenza, Parma and to Modena/Maronello. With enough of us there, pehaps we could get a factory tour. I was unable to swing that last time. I would think the Enzo Museum in Modena would also be perfect for a visit. I enjoyed it very much last year.

There are various routes back north through Tourin, the Frejus Tunnel and roads north through France and with me splitting off toward Lyon.

I would be open to having a co-pilot or finding one of my own if necessary. I would also be happy to help with any organizational duties. Timing would be one issue as May/June are pretty booked for me and the summer might be a bit warm. September/October is a great time to be in Northern Italy and the alps would certainly be passable.

So count me in and excited by the idea.

3. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

What a fantastic idea...

There are lots of great drives to explore:

The Pacific Coast Highway
    The Great Ocean Road
    Sea-to-Sky Highway
    Overseas Highway
    Death Valley (mmm... on my second thought, maybe not the best for Mondials)
    Davos to Stelvio
    Lysebotn Road
    Deals Gap, aka "Tail of The Dragon"
    Transfagarasan Highway
    Col de Turini
    Amalfi Coast

Any other suggestions?

4. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    There are lots of great roads in western Arkansas: Hwy. 7, Hwy. 27 come to mind.

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #5 MvT, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Haha Jonathan! yes Europe :):) They idea is for you guys to come over to this side of the atlantic and have a look what is behind the Atlantic Wall in your most favorite ride, the Mondial :D

Gerald I think that should not be a problem to gather up somewhere in France or maybe meet Reims! Leaving NL in the bottom going left or right does not matter that much. The Schlumpf is certainly an option with the largest Bugatti collection.

I think the meeting point for most depends a bit which city is best for people to land I guess.

I agree not to go in the summer as it will be stinking hot in Italy. In May the Mille Miglia is running (is interesting as well) however September would be good too.

6. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Tijn,
    I agree that the meet up point should be what works best for the most. I was just looking at the general route from Holland and the coast where our brit friends might land and the general direction to Maranello which is more east and central in Italy. It matters not the actual route to me, it is the idea that interests. And it would be fun to host some of our US Fchat colleagues along the way.

While dates would have to work out for what's best for the most, I have 3 car events in early may and early June that would make it difficult for me unless it would be sort of middle may. September is after tourist season and gives folks time to plan flights for our friends on other continents and availability for those of us in Europe. I hope we can do this!

7. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    My car must be ready for the road by then -- This sounds really interesting , and would be an excellent opportunity for the Mondial community to get together . I would be more than willing to offer a passenger seat to one of our US brothers (or sisters , but dont tell the wife)

I also think September would be a good time as its outside the normal holiday period..

A few thoughts from this side of the channel ===
    The Brits could meet at Ashford for the channel tunnel , and then travel to Reims . Its about a 3 hour drive , and looking at the European map , Reims could be a very good meeting point for Mondis coming from Holland and Belgium . Others could meet on route to Italy ...

Will follow this thread closely .

8. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Hi guys,

This seems very fun to do.
    Depending on which period it's planned, I'm in.

I hope I can make this trip. I was invited to come to Volpago del Montello in april next year to meet my rally heroes Munari, Tonti, Ballestrieri, Lancia engineer Masala and ex rally driver and Ferrari team boss Audetto. It's an organisation of the Italian Lancia Fulvia chapter. Unfortunately, I need to pass on that one, so I hope I can this trip with you guys!

Bart
    Belgium

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Cool guys so we are already with 4 Mondials! Hmm.. 3 red and 1 grey. Somehow I have the feeling that it will be a lot of red on the highway :D

No one from the United States/Canada would like to join or is everyone asking permission from the wives? We are a flight away and your taxi will be ready! Sorry if you have not much options in color though. :)

10. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I would love to fly over and be a passenger/navigator/mechanic for the ride.

Let me know when you guys firm it up so I can book a flight early for the best price.
    Alden

11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Ok great Alden! It will be September 2016 I guess and it's no problem to drive as well for some miles in my Mondi at least. The use of porto phone makes it also very fun for who is not driving!

Let's give this idea some cooking and we'll make a wonderful trip!

12. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Guys,
    If my 8 gets ready in time, I would love to add one to the grey army.
    Best
    Jurgen

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Looks like it was a wonderful drive!!!

14. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    haha Paul! have you been back from the future? :):) We still need to start this trip ;) Care to join? Still plenty of seats available.

15. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Oh yes! that would be great Jurgen!

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    That would bring me so much joy!! Unfortunately my drive with you will only be in my dreams as you are across the pond.

I wish you and your mates the very best drive!!!

17. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    We live in the era of planes ;) thx Paul it will be fun!

18. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #18 MvT, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Bump!

Just kicking this one to the surface again :) Offline some initial plans are flying through the virtual pipelines in the form of PMs.

The plan is to go in september and so far we have the following people interested.

Mondials:
    (FR) Journiacois
    (UK) Leighton360
    (BE) Bartzagato
    (BE) Enzo360 (If finished)
    (NL) MvT

Co-Pilot:
    (US) Alden

Anyone else from the U.S./Canadian side interested? We talked over some details and we take the fuel costs for ourselves since you would need to catch a plane to get here.

The idea is then to gatherup in France (Dijon seems to be the best) and from there drive to Mulhouse to see the biggest collection of Bugattis (and more) spend the night nearby. The next day drive through Switserland and visit a privat collection called Turning wheels collection:
    http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris...on-/index.html

While cruising to Italy we enjoy the Swiss scenery and land in our basecamp:
    Agriturismo GardaHill: an oasis of green in the surroundings of Garda's Lake

From there we can go anywhere we like in a radias of 150km (100miles)
    - Factory visit (tickets are included for Ferrari museum)
    - Enzo museum (Modena)
    - Ferrari museum (Maranello) Perhaps rent a 456 if people want (120 euro)
    - Alfa Romeo museum (Milan) Combine with track Monza.
    - Roundtrip Garda Lake
    Etc etc.

On the return the idea is to drive the San Bernardino Pass in Switserland and fill it in with musuem and hotel/B&B along the way.
    San Bernardino Pass

This is the rough idea and subject to change depending on availability and the weather of course.

19. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Can you guys give me some approximate dates so I can check air fares?

I guess flying to Paris then train to Dijon meet up is the way to go?

Unless someone wants to pick me up at the airport!
    Alden

20. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Alden,
    The big problem with flying into Paris CDG is the terrible Paris traffic and parking problem at the airport getting to you.

I'd suggest you fly into either Amsterdam (direct flights) or Bordeaux (that would mean a change of planes). I cant speak for MvT but he lives in Amsterdam. I'm just 90 minutes from the B'deaux airport. You could overnight with me here to get over a bit of the jet lag and then we would head out. Its a beautiful 540k drive from here in SW France, cross country through the central mountains to Dijon. It's 350k from CDG in Paris and you have to negotiate going around Paris to head down SE to Dijon.

Gerald

21. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hey,

I'd like to join you guys too, but the date should be a bit more specific. Not sure which Mondial yet, blue QV or red T ...

22. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Paris has terrible traffic at particular moments indeed. I go once in 3months, staying in the centre, going by car and the only time when there was no traffice jam entering Paris was at midnight.

Amsterdam would be better regarding traffic (actually almost no traffic jams). I could pick you up then we drive to Bart (I guess) as he lives on the route. I'm not sure if PV-Dirk wants to join (Sent a PM as he was interested in the past), but 3 people on the way to Bart should be good anyway. Heck it is a four seater for a reason :D

PS check if you can enter Switserland.. It is not an EU country and not sure if you need a seperate visa. For us as Europeans it is not an issue as we are Shengen and are entering Shengen territory.

For the date(s) we have not settle that yet. I am just naming something.
    1st or 2nd week of September ok for everyone?

23. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Personally, the 2nd week would be ideal, the start of the schoolyear rush should be over by then

24. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    hahaha so you have a luxury issue! :D
    Fun to have you on board!

25. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Hi Guys

Brussels airport is also a possibility to arrive.
    I pick you up in my daily, so no parking issues.
    Staying at my place also no problem.

Next stop/ pick up should be Stekkefun as he is living 45min from my place in the good direction.

2nd week of september is ideal (for me at least), but i'm flexible.

Normally seen 2nd weekend of september is reserved for the Fulvia. Every year we do a French cross country drive with wine&dine. It's called the WOTY: weekend of the year.
    But this year the Mondi is the favorit child to go on holiday.

Better pace up my wrenching.....