Brake Proportioning Valve | FerrariChat

Brake Proportioning Valve

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Jan 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I am convince the front brakes on my car lock up much to early and the rear brakes are not doing as much as they could. This has been an issue on a couple of my cars that I addressed in two different ways. First, I installed a new master cylinder in my 1965 Corvair and took the opportunity to install a valve. It made a HUGE improvement. I made small additional adjustments based on hard braking in turns to ensure there would not be premature rear lock up. It is the best braking car I have ever owned.

Second, I observed similar shortcomings in my 1988 Lincoln MK VII. In that case I ordered higher friction rear pads to match similarly custom front pads. The combination was known as 'autocross' pads. The rotors are the best ventilated and drilled available and are cryo-dipped. This combination is very very good. The strangest issue on the Lincoln is it has anti-lock brakes, but the rears never seemed to get involved. I believe it could actually accommodate higher friction rear pads, but the current set up is good enough.

Now to the Ferrari. I suspect it HAS a brake proportioning valve, but not sure where it is, and when I have inquired about it in other forums was told not to mess with it. And thus I am hoping to find someone who has messed with it.

2. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Rapalyea, this seems to be an on going problem with your car. I personally have never noticed any issues with Kato or Cavello on the limit. May I suggest you do a basic stop test from say 60-0mph on the level road surface and time it, I will do likewise and post my results. I will also do wet and dry tests and then let you know what tyres I have. Hopefully then you can make an informed decision as to if you have an issue.
    Regards Bell Bloke

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I think they call it a pressure regulator (Part# 118103 for U.S. cars). Seem there are different variations between continents. Perhaps it is clogged up. I would first take it off to see if that is the car rather then turning the buttons.

4. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I don't know if the 3.2 has a different brake setup than the 3.4, but my brakes are amazing. Stops the car like it ran into a wall. I can get a touch of front lockup even with ABS, but not often. My rear tires are slightly larger proportionately than stock (larger front and rear).

So as suggested, check the entire system. The mismatched pads are a tried and true partial solution, but the system should be closer to balanced.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Right Chaps and Chapettes , Results of Brake Tests.
    Weather here in the UK is appalling with lots of heavy rain and standing water. However the results of repeated brake testing on Kato 3.0 Mondial from 60-0mph are as follows.
    60-0mph on various tarmac surfaces in wet.

2.30sec
    2.25sec
    2.35sec
    2.71sec
    2.00sec
    2.21sec
    2.31sec
    2.22sec
    And
    2.27sec

At no time did I lock any of the wheels, the most I had was a slight warning of impending front lock which I was able to easily counter.
    All the best Bell

6. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I will see if I can find my stop watch. But I have one nearly insurmountable problem. I live in the mountains which presents two problems. First, there are no level roads. And even if there were I would need a a spirit level to mark it off from optical illusions. Mountains do that. I have, however, one local bridge, concrete, and certainly level. I have practiced quick stops on the bridge and can stop before passing over it from one side to the other.

I can do two things. I can pace off the bridge to find its length, and also try to put a stop watch to it. It can only be done at rare intervals because there needs to be no traffic in either direction. Eventually this could be fun. There is also the problem of accurately measuring actual speed. The Mondial is off by about 10%. Someplace around here I have a gps which I have never used in the Mondial. I know when I am going 90 mph because that is what the gear data give for 7,700 rpms in third gear. Its how I interpolated my 90 mph 1/8 mile speed.

In that contest I took my MAXX, for which I have actual 1/8 mile track data at 10.1 seconds @ 71 mph. Then I ran that car up my interpolative hill. I have GPSed that car and it is exactly 10% fast. So. Runnning the MAXX (starting on that very same bridge) I run it up the gradual slope to the orange sign and checked the speedo. The the 220 hp vvt MAXX showed just over 70 mph indicated. Theoretically the MAXX might only have been doing about 65 mph on my clandestine run. But I awarded it 70 mph out of sympathy.

However, by extension, that would mean the Ferrari would`have exceeded the MAXX in an actual timed 1/8 run by as much as 25 mph. Not just the 20 I have previously posted. Ninety five mph in the 1/8 mile seems a bit much, even for my very very snappy Prugna Metalica.

I am beginning to give myself a headache. But I might be able to do some timing on that bridge. Perhaps it will not be a 'Bridge Too Far'. I am not certain it even is much over 100 ft wide. A car that can stop in 100 ft is doing pretty well.

I need another beer.

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I am not sure what I was babling..! :)
    Perhaps it is clogged up. I would first take it off and clean it to see if that is the issue rather then turning the buttons

Impressive! How is your passenger feeling, assuming someone needs to operate the stopwatch :) The appalling weather seems now crossing over in our back garden! haha. Promise me when you guys get here that you will leave this weather at home!

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    ABS has solved all our problems. And quite frankly, I do a lot of fast stopping with the 3.2 but it only gives me problems at the very final limit and then only if I overshoot my practice run, and only at lower speeds such as 30 mph when they become tricky at the limit. So it is nothing really bad. But I have tuned my other cars to be just right. Especially that Corvair!

9. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I just used my Mondial speedo, so we are probably both out by 10% ;-)
    Also for timing you just need a stopwatch. When you hit the brakes you click it and as the car stops you click it....simples!
    I'm guessing that in the dry I would probably knock 0.7sec off the time....place your bets now please.
    It would be interesting to see what Road and Car test results said about stopping times back in the 1980s
    All the best Bell

10. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey MvT, I was brake testing all on my lonesome using one handed stopwatchmanship! Yes we promise to leave the weather at home. We are looking forward to meeting you, Emily wants to see your dad's garage.
    Dry weather brake test will be scheduled... er.....well next time it's dry. :)

11. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Me too, lol! :)

Roll on Rap!
    Alden

12. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
  13. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi! Two things,

1) I am very leery of do doing maximum anything without both hands on the wheel. But thats just me.

2) I have three devices for timing; two watches and one stop watch. One watch and the stop watch have dead batteries. The one watch that is working I have not thus far figured out how to activate the stop watch function.

Anyway, I have easy access to that flat, short concrete bridge near my house. I am going to take stock of it today, and might even pace it off (there is a dirt parking lot next to the trout stream over which the bridge passes.)

And here is an interesting factoid. One G adds or subtracts 22 mph per second.

Standard Gravity to Miles Per Hour Per Second | Kyle's Converter

14. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Oh wow so I'm pulling a shade over 1g in the wet! That's bloody amazing! Oh by the way, it's dry today......place your bets.

15. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Depends on if you were actually doing 60 mph;)

But I've started perusing my local concrete bridge! Earlier this morning got the MAXX out for some errands and pulled into the fishing pull-over by the bridge. I paced it four times and got 140 ft each time. Its old but smooth concrete. So I did my first two tests.

Conditions: 33F foggy no wind. Car. 2007 MAXX with police interceptor rotors and ceramic pads, 225/50 ZR 17 tires Contintintal ExtremeContact Summer DW. First pass set cruise control on 66 mph to compensate for probable 10% fast. Results. HORRIBLE. One hundred fifty feet for each stop! Just a few feet beyond the bridge on each occasion. The car and the brakes felt perfect. Full anti-lock, no dive, completely straight and no swerving. Rock steady.

Returning from my errands, slightly warmer, less overcast I set cruise at 55 mph to compensated 10% fast. Stopped pretty much in the middle of the bridge. Certainly no more then 100 feet. But did not get out to pace it off. If nothing else at least I have a place to make comparisons over time and various conditions.

16. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #16 Bell Bloke, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    Ha ha, so you don't have any working measuring devises and you don't want to brake with one hand on the steering wheel on an empty road......hmm......Well I think I'd chance it to find out if your brakes are funtioning properly becuse by the sound of it they're not and your car may actually be dangerous.
    Adding a bias valve to increase braking to the rear is a bad idea as incorrect setup will cause your car to possibly spin when braking mid corner. Trust me, I used to race and I've seen it happen a lot.
    Masking a problem isn't fixing it, you need to get to the bottom of it.
    Regards Bell.
    PS. You should be able to brake with 'no hands' If the brakes are good you will track perfectly straight.

17. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    May not really be much of a problem. Took the Mondial over the bridge today. As you recall that bridge is about 140 ft concrete and the MAXX stopped at about 150 ft twice from indicate 66mph. The Mondial did it at least 10 ft shorter and was not an especially well done stop on my part. Both cars have the same tires but the Mondials are much more used tread.

I plan to use this bridge for routine training! Can't wait to get the Corvair on it!