What do you think of this Mondial? | FerrariChat

What do you think of this Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by roma62, Jan 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roma62

roma62 Rookie

Jul 28, 2015
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Vince Fantozzi
    Fellow Ferrari owners, I currently own a 456MGT, a 360, and a 430. I don't know much about Mondials but have always admired them since I was a kid. What do you who are 'in the know' think about the T for sale at Black Horse in FL? I would appreciate any advice before I fly down to see it and schedule a PPI. Thanks for any help.

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Nice T. Canadian vehicle that recently came to FLA.

Belts require engine removal, that is one reason I bought my '88.

Some like the flares and larger cheese grater on the earlier cars too.

This doesn't make sense from the AutoCheck report since it is showing 30K now:

09/17/2009 QC 44,473 Motor Vehicle Dept. ODOMETER READING FROM CANADIAN PROVINCE CANADIAN RENEWAL

I am not too far from Naples.

Alden

3. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    For what it's worth I don't think I have seen a Mondial t, even a 1 of 43 coupe, sell for more than 50k. Ferrari of New England also had a 89 t coupe for sale (t coupes only came to the states in 1989) at roughly the same price. It is my understanding that that particular t was very well sorted and possibly even a concourse winner. It sold for 35k, I believe, in March of 2015 by a fellow fchatter (though imho that was underpriced by 15-20k). Recently another fchatter noticed a t coupe listing in Craig's List Boston, it is my belief that it is the same car. Given that it is significantly closer to you I would look there first. Good luck on your search!!

Temple

ps If you ever want to sell your 456 offer it to me first!!

4. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Forgot to add:

They say the sunroof works, that means they tried it, don't make the same mistake, lol!

Also, I think the cars look better as a cabriolet too.
    Alden

5. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Sorry, it's 5am here in Portland, OR and I haven't gone to bed yet so I'm not sure if I was clear/making sense (work). The Mondial t coupe that Ferrari of New England had for sale was the one bought from a fellow f-chatter here for 35k in March of 2015. The last I heard it was no longer on their web-site. Another fellow f chatter noticed/saw the Boston Craig's List listing which I looked into. Given the rarity of t coupes I am assuming it is the same car, but we all know the danger of assumption. Keep in mind that cabs are available in much, MUCH greater numbers here in the US than t coupes which only came to the states in one year (1989), and in very limited numbers (43).

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #7 Wade, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    wow...a 1 in 43 coupe with 30K miles well sorted for 35K? Sold back in March 2015?

Steal....no wonder it was snapped up so quick.

9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  10. roma62

roma62 Rookie

Jul 28, 2015
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Vince Fantozzi
    The one in Watertown and at Black Horse in FL are both $69K. Is that reasonable? Sounds high but maybe not if '1 of 43'?

11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #12 Wade, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Yes Paul I'm pretty sure of the information. A quick forum search and you can see the post as he listed it first here on the Mondial board. It was snapped up pretty quick, I think the op said within 2-3 days. Would be interesting to know what that well-sorted yellow cab t that was listed in the classifieds went for. Again the owner was a contributor to this forum. I believe he was asking in the high 60s as well. It sold quite recently (within the past couple of weeks).

13. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    And Ferrari of New England had theirs listed for several months as well. I wonder if it is the same car as Watertown Toyota. Based upon the rarity of the model (1 of 43) I feel like they must be (the same). I believe the last owner was out of California so if the car-fax data supports this then that is the same car that was listed here for 35k and bought by Ferrari of New England. The "missing link" would be how Toyota of Watertown got it.

14. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    The Mondial is unlike any of the cars you currently own, it is a grand tourer built for comfort drives with extra "elbow" room similar to your 456 but not near the power.

As it is a T coupe stateside it is rarer and can demand a higher price however there were more than 43 coupes made overall. It really depends what you want. If you are looking for appreciation who knows, if you are looking to have fun driving and sell later for breakeven the Mondial is the car to enjoy driving and not be afraid to lose value.

There is a posting somewhere here where a museum T went around 100K , not that they all will get there but it can happen. By the way the Mondial T is proudly displayed in the Ferrari museum , and you know how picky the suits at Ferrari are. You can base the market on the equivalent 2 seater 348. The market is not what it was a year ago and has definitely risen.

The main thing is to put some "seat" time in a Mondial to determine if it suits you. You have a fine stable of F cars and the Mondial would certainly be a good choice for a driver/collector.

15. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    Quick question, have you by any chance ever driven one?
    If not, please try before acquiring one, maybe through this board section a test drive can be found. I am saying this, as your "oldest" is a 90's car, the Mondial takes you another decade back. IMHO it is different enough in feel and concept to make you either like it or not, but it is surely a different experience,

cheers

braq

16. roma62

roma62 Rookie

Jul 28, 2015
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Vince Fantozzi
    Thanks for all of the advice. I will definitely drive it before scheduling the inspection. Now which one? Black Horse's or Toyota of Watertown's?? Decisions!!!

17. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    FONE probably wholesaled it to Toyota of Watertown dealers usually do that if they have cars sitting unsold for a long period I noticed the two 308's they had are gone too but haven't seen them pop up anywhere. There was another T coupe from Mass. that was sold here recently also was a private sale and I believe a one owner don't know what it went for, IIRC it was advertised in the 40's I looked through the archives to find the posting but was unsuccessful.

18. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Just an FYI one of the principals at Blackhorse used to run an exotic dealership in Mass. and I was interested in a 348 that he had and was in the same position you are in I had never driven one and wanted to drive it and see if it was a good fit for me. After contacting him and making an appointment and driving 3 hours to see the car he refused to let me drive it. My advice to you would be make sure you get a yes or no answer on whether you can test drive it before you make plans to drive down there and be very specific that you want to drive it. This was the only salesman that has ever refused to let me test drive a car.

19. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Roma, I would look at Watertown's first. I say this because based on your profile you are in the NE and the Watertown car is that much closer to you. If you can run a car-fax on it and can determine that the car was originally a California car then you/we will know that it was that very well-sorted t coupe that sold here for 35k. If my memory serves me correctly it was also a concourse winner. Thus not only will you be looking at a very well-sorted and "unmolested" car but also one that you would know what Ferrari of New Engkand/Watertown paid for it. To me that is an invaluable advantage to have if/when you make an offer for her. Best of luck. And if you ever consider letting go of your 456 GT look me up!! Lol

20. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Rob I know the exact t coupe you are speaking of. In fact I saw the car in person and even drove her. Red on crema (white), essentially a one owner car with approx 25k miles on her. However she was in need of a major. You are correct, he was asking in the low 40s for her. I'm pretty sure he got asking price or very close to it. A fellow f-chatter got her. Definitely a nice, unmolested car!

21. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Rob a nice, unmolested car for sure, but not a prugna Queen!!

22. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    why not a cabrio T?

23. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Personally I like the lines of the coupes much better, but that's me. I've seen others on this forum express the same for cabs. Really it just comes down to one's personal taste. Regarding prices the thing to keep in mind is that coupes are much, MUCH rarer here in the US than cabs. The numbers, cabs vs coupes, have been posted previously on this forum. Strange to say but it's the exact opposite in the EU where coupes are prevalent and cabs more highly sought after because of their "scarcity" relative to the number of coupes. Roma if you are reading this take note: due to the relative abundance of cabs there is/will be a lot more to chose from. As there usually is a "relationship" between availability and price coupes should, but not always, demand a higher price. Certainly there should be more "interest" in it. The t coupe, whether at Watertown Toyota or Blackhorse, is a perfect example of what I am speaking of! T coupes only cane into US for one year- 1989. And only 43 at that!! T cabs came into the states until 1992 I believe (maybe 1993). In total several hundred made it here.

24. roma62

roma62 Rookie

Jul 28, 2015
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Vince Fantozzi
    Thanks for all of the invaluable advice!