Mondial Coupe Market surge | FerrariChat

Mondial Coupe Market surge

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Scaledetails, Jan 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Well, I think it is about time the Mondial coupe market has awaken! Those days of finding $20K coupes are over, it looks like $30K and up is where prices are starting. With 2 T coupes currently asking around $70K, I think it validates the price increase all around.
    It's about time the Mondial gets the respect it deserves, it was always so much car for the money. Add the Ferrari badging, and you've got a superstar. I predict all coupes to be around $50K within 3 years. They are not so far behind their little brother 308's. ;)

2. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    #2 Allen S., Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not that I'm planning on putting my tCoupe on the Market anytime soon, recently I had seen the interest and value going up on my car and that is why I decided to go ahead with a major service last November. Now I have a well sorted out F-tCoupe and amazed with the drive quality. After 17 years of ownership every drive is an awesome Ferrari experience.
    My 2cents.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I agree. The "308 Dino" effect is starting to kick in. $5oK-55K for a decent QV or 3.2 in the very near future.

RPM in VT is selling an 8 in pretty good condition. They're asking $38k. For an 8!!!

But more obvious is what the total junker cars are going for. Lots of the badly beaten cars you see for sale selling for around 18-2oK. These are cars that will need at least that much in repair costs to get back to just decent drivable condition.

It's ok with me. I already bought one! ;) But seriously, there's no reason for such a huge price discrepancy between the GTB/GTS cars and the Mondial. Maybe a little more for the 2 seater/sporty premium, but not a $5ok -8ok price difference.

4. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Beautiful! Well done. I honestly think that those "43" will be 6 figures within 5 years.

+1
    I also think supply and demand is kicking in. There are far fewer Mondial coupes than the 308/328 series, so the market will no doubt show that in the near future. As a 13 time Mondial coupe owner, I am all for it. ;)

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Mixed blessings indeed. Eventually the only enjoyment the Coupe enthusiasts will have is due to the $ when they sell.

Ask any 308/328 GTB owner about the recent upswing; some cars have become too valuable to drive and enjoy.

6. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Spring is in the air...

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    That's so clean, I can eat my dinner off of it!

8. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No such thing as a car too valuable to drive, Wade! Life is short. Smoke 'em while you got 'em. ;)

9. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    I agree. Knowing that you are driving an appreciating car just adds to the experience in my opinion.

Much different than driving my depreciating DD.

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Which is precisely the reason why I never look for a low-mileage "concours" examples. Well loved and cared for cars, yes. But leave the garage queens for those in "the business". ;)

11. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Well, that was part of the reason I transitioned from a 308 to a Mondial. It was an easier decision when I was able to find an excellent and well loved example. 🙂

12. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1. I also collect watches and have the same philosophy there. I'd rather have a well used version I can comfortably wear than a safe queen.

13. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #13 MvT, Jan 28, 2016
    What is valuable.. I think it is really in peoples heads not to drive... An F friend who has a Vetro is joining every year to a trip to Italy. He bought it at the time for a good price and if he scratches it the profit is still above his own prediction (these are his own words btw). The downside is the insurance.

Take the Mondial of Sir Admiral. Just drive and enjoy :) I would do too if I were ever to buy a 250 GT spider. Even better I will leave the patina in it!

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #14 Wade, Jan 28, 2016
    Well, if you're lucky (or unlucky) there may be Déjà Vu for you. ;)

Such an awesome car that is.

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Not only insurance, but I can imagine that the rise in value would effect parts, maintenance and service as well.

Speaking of patina, a little cleaning up shouldn't hurt. I mean, come on. ;)

Same car on the lawn at this year's Cavallino Classic:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/144458472-post123.html

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    You are right! ;) I will clean it and do a total enginer revision merely to make it relyable :) Nice to see it is wearing Monaco plates :D

Luckily we have persons like stekkefun4 to part out a Mondial :) Besides that I recently bought the upper mid console for a really fair price of 160 USD on Ebay. When I add the price listing of eurospares the total would have been over 2000 USD.

I get a real itchy feeling when entrance fees are doubled...

17. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    In 2032 do I sell my 8 for $150,000 to pay for one year of college for my baby girl?

;)

That's gonna be a sad day

18. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    No, this is the car for me. Any price advance will benefit whoever gets it when I'm gone.👻

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    you are a class act my friend!

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    IMo the mondial is one of the last true enthisaists ferraris. Its low values have meant the people who own them value them for what they are as opposed to most of the otehrs which now seem valued for their $$$ and what they represent.

21. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Same here with my 348.

Except maybe if a black t Coup of similar condition presents itself as a trade. :)

So true, and very well said.

22. sipes216

sipes216 Karting

May 9, 2015
    here's something fun to imagine.
    just figure in a few decades when I inherit my father's 85 qv. value will likely be ridiculous. :)

I could still never sell it even after high 6 figure. the car is too wonderful.

23. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    On the topic of what we leave to you kids.

In the end, we reached a decision, perhaps fueled by a little bourbon, that we will leave everything, even the F-CAR, to Mom's dachshunds.

Sid

24. sipes216

sipes216 Karting

May 9, 2015
    i don't doubt that she's crazy enough to do that...

25. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yeah, where's that "I'm spending our kids inheritance!" bumper sticker when you need it?