How often should you adjust your valves? | FerrariChat

How often should you adjust your valves?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ronfrohock, Feb 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    My car is going in for a proper major soon, it's coming up on its sixth year......
    One of the things on the list is valve adjustment. I wonder about the necesessity of this as I have driven only about 8k miles since the last valve adjustment.
    What does the brain trust think?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Every 15k miles just like the book says.

3. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I have become ambivalent on this issue myself. Over the last few years this topic has come up and there are cases where the wrong specs were installed- but did not hurt anything. Its not even clear to me how the specs are checked! In one instance it seemed to me the valve lifter spacers were selected based upon a pre-determined list, not an actual measurement.

Those discussions took place a long time ago and I do not have links. Perhaps a few of our techs can elaborate on the matter? And sometimes these things can get silly. For instance, change your belts every three years or 15,000 miles. I read for sale add where the car had very few miles but had something like SIX belt changes.

IMHO, it is possible every last one of those replacement belts could have been manufactured in the very same year. Are cam belts like wines? Personally, if I am aging my cam belts I would rather do it under tension, installed in a parked car idled five minutes every six months. Or maybe just once a year.

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock

Brian,
    If you don't mind, can you provide some additional information here?
    I'd really like to know more about this especially from a seasoned and trusted professional.

It's been six years since my last major and not that many miles. My valves were adjusted during the last major and my cam cover gasket is leaking a small amount. There are 20K miles on the car.

While my goal is to maintain the car properly, I need to be sure that I am not throwing money away.

How about it, can you share your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

- Ron Froho k

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not sure what information you are looking for.
    I wouldn't be concerned about the valve adjustment. The oil leak becomes an issue of tolerance vs cost on your part. The six year thing would make me want to put a set of belts on it though.

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I look at it this way... Valve(s)/adjustment do not have a time expiration (lifespan) like a bearing (grease/rubber), hose (rubber) or a belt (rubber). Its a wear issue so go with actual useage/miles. Sorry, I know a lot of / & ()'s in a short reply :)

7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Its a good question. From a casual scan of older posts, it appears that when many check, the clearances are fine, within what appears a wide range of tolerance of what is acceptable. It also does seem like a pretty finicky job with a fair amount of labour cost. I am sure a check every 15,000 is a good idea, but the real question, how long can they be left alone if you know the car is not abused or revved to redline all the time? I am going to put a wild uniformed guess out there that one could get 50,000 km before a check would be constructive? Unless we have a reasonable (say 20 cars) owners sample size and inventory of shimming needed after various amounts of km's, it's all probably just anecdotal views that will be provided, and no one generally wants to advise deferring maintenance as the consequences can be big. A burned valve, from valve seat recession or incomplete closure at the right times would be the consequence of out of spec valve clearance. I would usually rely on a factory service recommendation, but the Ferrari low production and well heeled customer capacities to over service probably resulted in very conservative factory recommendations. I think on the whole, regular serious inspections, and being attuned to anything odd in feel and sound, and dealing preemptively with known areas of weakness makes more sense with these now quite old cars, more so than some rigid time or mileage based criteria. If you do indeed do the clearance do start a thread and identify what the clearances are at the mileage from last check or adjustment. Maybe we can get some better, real world data on this over time.

8. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Valves and everything them come into contact with are metal or other "hard" parts. Sitting forever - as long as they are lubricated - doesn't impair their lifespan. As others have said, mileage, which causes wear and therefore "unadjusts" them, is the issue.
    Belts being rubber can decline just from exposure to air, as can tires, hoses, etc. Having said that, there are at least 3 dozen threads on changing cam belts w/ little mileage, and there is only one consensus; if they break while the engine is running, you will wish you had changed the darn things. Many, many people with more experience than mine (tripled) think changing low mileage belts every 3 or 5 years is BS propagated to make Ferrari service and parts centers more lucrative. Me? I have no idea other than to speculate why rubber belts in Ferraris last less long than rubber belts in most other cars.
    Note that changing cam bearings before they seize is another topic.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Belt service is every five years (3 if you go by what Ferrari says). If your pulling the covers to set timing check them every time you do a belt change.

10. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Most times it seems like time is more of a rule than mileage I say every 10 years. Call me crazy but I just had mine done and though the adjustments were minor the car seems to run exceptionally and better than before. In Ferraris you can notice minor engine tweeks.

11. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    DDD, I agree about noticing minor engine tweaks.

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I think the main question Ron is asking is how much are we willing to pay for "minor engine tweaks."

If adjusting the valves every 5 years costs an extra $X,000, is it worth the cost, considering that the car may have only been driven a few thousand miles?

Someone please fill in the "X" above.

Alden

13. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I am sure your car runs better, however the "butt dyno" improvements we notice are sometimes inversely related to the lightness of one's wallet. :)
    Alden

14. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Throwing money away, as others have said engines don't wear when not being run.
    Only rubber perishes over time so needs relacing eventually ie Belts will need doing every few years even if the engine isnt run. Rubber seals and hoses go hard and crack with extreme age.....bit like people ;-)

15. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    If you have to do the valve seals it does not cost much more to adjust the valves.

16. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Which then begs the question, when would one expect to have to do the
    valve seals...

17. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    can be simple as monitoring the amount of oil burn ( smoke ) at start up and deceleration in gear leave tell tale signs of oil smoke, as does an oily inside of tail pipe... while not generally fatal, excessive smoking is embarrassing except when fumigating for mosquito control

18. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    With a leak, valve covers should be done. With those cam covers off it is easy. Almost no time to check valve clearances. If it's good you know. If not, easy to swap a shim. I say go for it. It's not just the leaks you have. It's the ones that might occur over the next six years. I think a full proper service will make your car more pleasurable. peace of mind.

19. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    It's so much more reassuring to do the belts with the valve covers off.
    When they're off, check clearances.

So, every belt change sounds as a good interval for checking valves.

20. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    My hangup is my car runs perfectly and has not one drip of anything leaking from anywhere. So while I absolutely believe in preventive and scheduled maintenance, I always like to revisit what is essential to do based on others real life practices. Mind you, I am only at 60,000 kms (30,000km under my stewardship), but as the mileage and age is getting more advanced I am thinking more around things that will maintain what has been bullet proof reliability for past 10 years.

21. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    +1