An Interesting Tire Report | FerrariChat

An Interesting Tire Report

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Feb 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Pirelli all season PZero Neros v. Contintental ExtremeContact Summer DW

The car now has about 57,000 miles on it since delivered with about 44,000 miles on it about three years ago. (Rob. I apologize but along with my spare key I have temporarily misplaced all the paper work!) Anyway, I wore out the inside front edges of the new Pirellis in either five or six thousand miles. I forget.

The Pirellis were stiff side wall aggressive beasts finding every last pebble on the road. They were very sporting, however. I had discussions regarding "Ferrari Under steer" and notice I had none. Rotation PAST neutral was available. Then I switch to the Continentals because they have a kind of tread pattern conducive to TRACKING.

And that is how it turned out! The Continentals are a near perfect GT tire. Tracking is the best I have ever had. The ride is luxuriant by comparison and do not have dreaded "over cooked pasta" feel I got from some Turanzas 15 years ago. [Just simply discarded them for something else. I forget what.] And now I have, what has been describe, in my own understanding, as 'Ferrari Under steer'.

I would rather be permitted some over rotation but I have grown soft in my old age and advanced state of decline. I run the Continentals at 40psi all around and they suit me just fine. They are wearing quite differently then the Pirellis, however. Front and rear are evenly worn, unlike the Pirellis that wore out the inside fronts to such an extent I had the alignment checked!

The Continentals are wearing out evenly across both rear tires, and MUCH faster then the also evenly worn fronts! In fact, I should probably be planning a repurchase the entire set this Summer. And I do not mind telling you: DO NOT EVER drive a Mondial in the snow! Especially with worn out rear Summer tires!

We had winter two weeks ago on Wednesday with one inch of snow. I grew up in the snow belt and lived 13 god forsaken years in Chicago. And it is my habit to test my cars in Winter conditions. Braking was as expected. Steering was as expected. Slight throttle blip was not at all what was expected. That was the single most terrifying amusement park wild mouse ride of my entire adult life. And that includes rolling a Caddy CTS upside down and backwards over a 15 foot cliff. [No injuries but I needed a whole new paint job. At least that is what a grumbled about to myself at the time as small ash trees slid by.]

The Mondial did not spin. But it slewed four times in about a 45 degree arch in either direction straight ahead. And plenty of ash and maple trees on both sides of that straight and flat road. By the hair of my chinny chin chin! On the plus side, however, the rear weight bias enabled me to simply drive up my little mountain to get home.

Then I opened the six pack......

PS: Reprint of the Snow Day.

2. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks very much for your insights!