Wanted: Mondial 3.2 coupe | FerrariChat

Wanted: Mondial 3.2 coupe

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by M. Brandon Motorcars, Feb 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I'm looking for a really great 3.2 Mondial Coupe. Rosso Corsa/Beige preferred, but not required. No modifications that can't be easily reversed. I'm willing to pay up for a great car with service history, original paint, no stories. Cash buyer, easy transaction.

Yes, I'm a dealer, but this would not be for resale (at least not right away). I recently acquired a Mondial QV coupe, and I've fallen in love with the Mondial, especially the coupes. I don't want an 8, and I really don't want a T either; I just like the look of the 3.2.

Thanks in advance!

2. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    #2 sidtx, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

I'm with you - love the coupes. I have an 85 QV Coupe and absolutely love it.

Finding a 3.2 Coupe might be a bit of a challenge. According to numbers that FCHAT member Wade has provided - there were only 87 total 3.2 Coupes imported into North America. As a point of reference - there were 69 QV Coupes, and 43 T-Coupes imported into NA. Making the Coupe rather rare (another reason to love them).

Here's Wade's graph.

Good luck with the search!

Sid
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Thanks Sid! Yes, I realize that the 3.2 coupe (and all Mondial coupes) are rare, which is why I'm asking the owners on here if anyone is interested in selling. :)

However, I don't have to have a US-spec car. Euro is fine with me, which does make the pool deeper.

4. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Best choice out of the lineup in my opinion anyways!

5. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Doesn't stephane have another coupe for sale? Right color, beautiful new interior leather. Not sure if it is a 3.2, but it is listed here in the for sale section.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Thanks Jerry, but Stephane's car is a QV, with what looks like a 2V engine (at least from the intake plenum). Not what I'm looking for.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks Sid - great chart!!!

8. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    It's a Euro QV. Giveaways are the lack of a diaper under the rear bumper, and the 2V intake plenum. For some reason, Euro QVs seem to always have the 2V intake plenum. Every single one that I have seen has the 2V plenum.

You might PM Stephane - he has owned a bunch of Mondials, and probably has his finger on the pulse of the Mondial market. He, probably more than anyone, could help you locate a 3.2 Coupe.

Don't give up the search. It took me over a year to find my Coupe, and it was very well worth the wait!! The car is fantastic, and a pure joy to drive.

Sid

9. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Hmmm. I have an 84 Euro QV coupe currently, and it has the QV plenum. I have no reason to think that this has been changed from original, and I have seen other Euro QV cars with the QV plenum.

Interesting data point. Thanks Sid!

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    It's mixed. One Euro QV has the 2v plenum and the other a QV. Not sure why this is, but I think it just what they had on the shelf or that they first used up the 2v ones before they started with the QV plenum. Anyway it is mixed here.

US is a cab continent and Europe a coupe one :)

There is not much for sale on this side and the ones that are for sale.. they ask too much for the condition these cars are in.

Ferrari Mondial Angebote bei mobile.de

11. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Bump. Still looking!

12. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    Good luck. I'll never part with mine.

13. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
  14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I love the coupes in red. Does anyone know what the little blue lights are on the bottom of speedo and tach?

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agrred beautiful car, just my speculation either alarm or radar detector aftermarket installation

16. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    The seller (in a previous ad) stated that a K40 radar detector was installed. I'm assuming that's what those lights are for.

17. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Yes wasn't that same car advertised here on fchat awhile back?

18. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Did 3.2s come with some type of plastic lid/cover over the center console switch area?

Seems like a good idea - I almost had a disaster the other day. Pulling out of the garage at 6:15am (on my way to Dallas C&C), I had a travel mug full of hot tea, setting on the warning light area of the console. As I backed out, it tipped back. Fortunately, it's a travel mug with a sealed lid, and no fluids came out onto the switches. I wonder if a cover was added for this reason?

Sid

19. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #19 Wade, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    No on the lid question.

And Fate is the Hunter on your near-miss. ;)

20. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #20 Rapalyea, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You can have my 1986 Prugna Metalica coupe for $50,000. It is in no way a show car but everyone gushes over it. It needs $1,000 in dent and paint touch-up repair but has entirely new clutch system, new front rotors, NEW starter with WR1 intermediate solenoid and all new CV joints.

It runs like a scalded dog and I make no apologies for doing so. This is a driver! If this very high price does not drive you away I will happily tell you everything that is right and wrong with it. What is mostly right is the color and the strangely powerful engine.

21. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    David, I love your car! I've followed your adventures with it on FChat, well, basically since you bought it. Beautiful color, and I know you've had a blast with your car.

22. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Your are a man of taste and distinction! I have now had my way with my Ferrari for the purpose of finding out what a Ferrari might be all about and, financially speaking, it is fully depreciated to the purpose I bought it.

Accordingly I drive it like I once drove my Z-28! That means, well, I DRIVE it! Not that I babied it in the mean time. But now I do not think twice about 4,000 - 6,500 rpm hot runs as a routine thing to do. The car has about 57,000 miles on it and has never been better.

I suppose, given its age, something could go 'South' again. But I do not fear this as I did at first. Its all gravy from now on!

23. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    The owner who had it before me won platinum at at least one FCA event with your car David so you can see it was formely a show car!

24. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    wow....

And the car has not deteriorated much since I got it. The interior is about the same but the exterior has accumulated two parking lot dimples, one in each door. Some of the front louvers have small chips out of the front edges and the wheels need repainting and black trim needs a refresh such as around the front window.

Mechanically it is much improved but that is irrelevant for a show car. The entire clutch system has been replaced as have the front rotors, all CV joints as well as a NEW starter and intermediate solenoid. In addition the wipers are much better but the passenger side window lift is still on life support. And of course I will soon be on my third set of tires!

25. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Bump again. I'm still looking.