Carpet colour change. Is it possible?? | FerrariChat

Carpet colour change. Is it possible??

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by petrolheadjeff, Mar 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Has anyone ever heard or better still done a colour change of the carpets in a car before?

Can it be done? If so are there any product suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I was watching the show Dallas Car Sharks the other day and they had a guy spray-dye pretty much the entire interior of a car. Sprayed the carpets as well.

While I wouldn't do this on a car that I value, the technology/products may be better than I can image.

I'll let the pros decide.

3. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    As i figured. Not many pros around. I'll keep looking. There are some youtube clips of this but I'm not convinced of the quality of dye in a can
    Jeff

4. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    In the mid 70's I had a 1969 Shelby GT-500. Factory black seats with seats consisting of a combination of black vinyl, and the part you sat on/rested your back against was the mesh "comfort weave" material. This part was getting a bit frayed, so I took it to a auto upholstery shop. The mesh material had been discontinued, in black, by Ford Motor Co. (this was some years before any reproduction seat kits were on the market). The only color available was white. They had a man come to the shop, and re-dye (spray), the white material, I was very concerned about it rubbing off. NOT to worry, 11 years later, when I sold the car, the material still looked nice, and never a bit of the black coloring came off. There are not doubt some people in your area that full time, go around to the car dealership's, respraying door panels, dashes, carpets. Inquire with some of your better dealerships, they should be able to supply some names, of such. These folks doing this type of reparaying, it's their full time business, and can do some very good work. As one of the poster's mentioned, DON'T use something out of a spray can from the auto parts store! I used that same person over the years several times, Ron would mix the color to match my interior pieces, and in his van was a portable air compressor, with a very small paint gun, just like a auto body shop, on carpet, this gives great coverage, and deep penetration of the coloring, being applied under good spray pressure.

5. felkind

felkind Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Nashua, NH
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I do a bit of upholstery reconditioning on my cars and used some of the upholstery dye (black) to touch up the carpet of my mondi. Worked very well. However, I haven't tried a color change. I use professional quality dyes and apply with an airbrush.

6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I've swapped out carpet on several cars over the years. I now have a full carpet kit for my mondial. That's the clean way to do it.

7. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Someone in this FChat section changed his tan carpets to black about 1 1/2 years ago. He posted photos, and it looked fantastic.

8. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

Would love to see link as I really want to change my beige carpets to black...

9. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
  10. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but the photos I recall were much richer than the ones linked above. The colors weren't blue tinted, and the pics showed the car with the seats in place, lower door panel black carpet installed, etc. In other words a completed interior w/ tan seats & door panels but w/ black carpet. It looked fantastic.

11. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    #11 DavidJ, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, those were progress shots, indoors under florescent lights.
    Here is one I took last week outside.
    I hope it meets with your approval.

DavidJ
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    If anyone is re-doing tan carpets, I need a small remnant, maybe 2'x4' or so to finish doing the backs of the rear seats.

The carpet was replaced right before I bought the car, but they did not do this part for some reason.
    Alden

13. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    #13 DavidJ, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017