Mondial QV Clutch low biting point | FerrariChat

Mondial QV Clutch low biting point

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Anthony bentley, Mar 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Mondial QV Clutch low biting point, does this mean worn clutch or slave cylinder problems?

Thanks in advance

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Could just be that the system needs to be bled. I'd start there.

3. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Hi,

Yes I have done this a couple of times.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    A worn clutch disc would give the opposite problem (high biting point).

5. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Is there any manual adjustment?

6. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias

This happened to me and it believe it was a worn master cylinder. I replaced both master and slave and if you have this system it is not adjustable to my knowledge. There are a couple of things to know about this stuff.

1) First and foremost under NO circumstances use the Alpha parts even though they actually work. They would be suitable for parades, perhaps. In my case I am convinced they destroyed my entire clutch system from hydraulic resonance at 7,700 rpms at 90 degrees F.

2) Second, the master cylinder is a real *****. You need to remove the front seat to access the pin that connects the master cylinder to the clutch pedal. You might need child labor to do this. Upside down on the seat rails needs a thick mat. And you will notice there is a simple drop pin that connects the master to the pedal mechanism.

This is a serious challenge. I finally bought a 12 inch 90 degree angle pair of pliers and simply man-handled out the cotter key AND the pin which did not clear the underside of the dash. There was no way in hell I could get that pin in again from the top so I put it in upside down and used a self locking cotter pin. It probably took me half an hour or more to line up the hole and the cotter key blind. But I did it twice.

Further, the front bolts are very near the cylinder itself and you need a thin wrench to get in there. And be certain to attach the clutch fluid line to the master before you install the master itself. There are alignment issues. I even broke off the brake light switch in my efforts. The parts manual seems to show a lock nut on both sides of the firewall for that switch but that is not the case. The switch itself is threaded into the fire wall. It is a complicated switch with four terminals. Be careful with that.

3) And bleeding the system was serious challenge. I do not know how one person can even do it alone. I suppose there is a way but even my local wrench and his henchmen took twice to get it correct. I could do all this again but I would pay a LOT of money for someone else to do it. However, I now am one of the few people on the planet that has ever done this twice. So, if need be again, it will be me again.

But in my case it has the happy ending since I have an entirely rebuilt clutch system from front to back. And that is a comfort.

7. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Turned out to be badly adjusted master cylinder rod. Had to replace the whole unit as they had cracked the pot metal and glued it together.

8. race

race Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2013
    Carrollton Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeffery Mead
    Had this happed to me on my 85 qv. The return spring inside in the master cylinder had broken. Replaced the master cylinder and works fine.

9. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Did you have similar struggles as above or is there a simplified method?

10. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Yes there is adjustment, check out my video 'thehelidoctor' on YouTube for correct actuation and travel. All the best Bell