CL vandilzed mondial | FerrariChat

CL vandilzed mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 002LM, Apr 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 002LM

002LM Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    1992 Ferrari Mondial T

What do you guys think? I like this car, owner says it runs strong. The body seems a little rough, but we could bondo it, I think maybe the owners wife drove the car so it is probably barely broken in..

Sound investment at $20k?

We are local Ferrari owners looking to expand our collection before the bubble bursts.

Thanks

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #2 Wade, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. 002LM

002LM Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    It is sad because it looks like an otherwise straight car. A few months ago it had green all over the hood too ,it was recently majored too....

Someone wrote CODY on the interior. I would fix this car but having trouble how to value it because of the extensive panel damage, I would most likely fill and repair all panels and keep the vehicle, because to replace all that sheet metal is way too expensive..

4. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Somebody got caught.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaSy8yy-mr8

"That I dug my key into the side
    Of his pretty little souped-up four-wheel drive,
    Carved my name into his leather seats,
    I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,
    Slashed a hole in all four tires...
    Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats."

Alden

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Damage if you have your own painter 3K. Assuming you want to do a bit of yourself.

6. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Is it one owner? Meaning the person selling it is the original owner?

Regardless of the recent "major" i'd have a PPI performed if I was considering purchasing the car. I've learned the hard way that not all majors are equal.

7. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I know this car.
    If you want some info PM me.

DavidJ

8. onefastman

onefastman Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    STL
    I just called, and he wants $35,000 for it.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think this car only makes sense if you own a body shop and can have your workers on it on slow times...

Just my $0.02. The amount of damage may seem small, but I think it will cost quite a bit to sort that amount of damage.

10. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    For $35K, it'd be easier and just as economical to buy a no-stories Mondial T.

11. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    No kidding!

12. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    As much as I don't think this is a $35k car, I'm wondering where you can find a no stories Mondial t for $35k?

13. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #13 Meister, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    One example, not exactly perfect but they are out there.

Ferrari Mondial T Cabriolet | eBay

older service

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=55811&endYear=2017&showcaseOwnerId=0&makeCode1=FER&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=0&maxPrice=60000&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=%5BFER%5B%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=425594598&Log=0

14. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I didn't say it would be $35K. But the purchase price on this one is just the tip of the iceberg. By the time it is sorted, it will be more. Probably much more, depending on the new owner's skill set.

15. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    $35k for a Mondial needing that much body work is too much. $20k sounded a lot more reasonable.

I guess he wasn't insured for this type of thing? Bummer.

16. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I am new to Modial... As you probably read my quest to find one to add another horse in my garage, I would like to know the reasonable price range for the 89 Mondial T Cabrio with 37K miles. The car seems to be in a good condition. 3 previous owners.. Dealer says he has all the service records... I looked at ebay, Caars.com and autotrader.com and am getting mixed signals.. What I am looking at is priced at $49K and thinking that is a bit too much?

What are your thoughts? I could find ones from Low $30K's to even $70K. Is it a wild west for this market?

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I would say 40-45K range (assuming full service has been done) ... Just my $0.02

Cheers

18. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Brian, its a great question and can be applied to nearly any Ferrari. In particular the Mondial has a wide range due the perception of it being a somewhat less loved Ferrari and or more of a lower priced way to get into a Ferrari. Therefore there are scenarios where people purchased them who really couldn't afford them and they skip services and major maintenance. As a result you can see a $30k car that looks like a bargain but might need $10-$20k in work. OR you can pay top dollar for a pristine version with all maintenance records. Many on these forums will give you the same advice. No matter the price, condition or mileage, do your homework, ask for service records, call the shop who did it and
    get a good independent PPI. You might find a great example at $35k that only needs odds and ends. The car you looking at for $49k I would peg in the nearer middle top end of the market I would expect would have had a recent Major that is able to be verified and would need very little work to make it perfect. Just my 3 cents! One thing for sure, is you'll love the Mondial t on the road and enjoy having a enough space for your family and or friends.

19. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    $50 k isn't far off, and honestly the downturn to $30-35k a few years back had me scratching my head. And even more so now as the price is more like $47-60k [don't get those prices either]

my feelings are a truly sorted model, is near the $50k+ but only a Valeo would be higher as in also newer.

Not sure about the OP's posting. looks tempting but ONLY at or less than $20k. Looks mostly superficial and therefore depending on what you want [presentation car] or a driver [I prefer the latter] I'd be tempted, albeit black has me out....but, IF needing that much body work I'd even change the color to say, Silver blue etc.

tempting.....IF one want NOS parts, then the price even at $20k jumps to easily a sorted ready to roll $50k car and that means skip this one.

IF you spent time just fixin' the cosmetics you could get it under the $40k thinking.

PS: On the older '89, that is a nice car too as in bigger rear seats and no 'mice', but betting even with 'perfect records' you'll be fixing many things [as expected] so, perhaps you are correct in I would want the older one at the no more than $40k mark..unless it's black or some off color and then the price lowers [prugna, fly, red etc. are more a premium to me]

20. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    This could be the same guy that had the 348 with salvage title because of a golf club.

21. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Love the ad, "No Roma please," I wonder how many get that? LOL

22. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Never heard that before, had to look it up:

Acronym Definition

ROMA Results-Oriented Management and Accountability
    ROMA Robust Open Multi-Agent Systems
    ROMA Rental, Owners and Managers Association
    ROMA Results Oriented Management Assessment
    ROMA Radix Omnium Malorum Avaritia (Latin: Root of all Evil is Greed)
    ROMA Right Out of My A**
    ROMA Representational Oligonucleotide Microarray Analysis (genome study)

Alden

23. redlightrich

redlightrich Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    north New Jersey USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    The car will eat up 7k plus in body and paint. If you want to do it, do it properly. The right body man will straighten the panels to use only a speck of plastic. Nice paint work is expensive. The interior will add to the cost.

28k is probably a correct price for someone who is willing to take on a project. Even if you have no body work ability, you can do some disassembly for the body shop, which will reduce the cost, and will produce a nicer result. The less they have to disassembly and mask off, the nicer it will be.

This is not a bad car. There is however, no deal here. It will end up costing what it is worth. All you are getting is a lower entry price and the ability to pay as you go.

Good luck on whatever you decide

Rich

24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    From the sound of the seller's ad, "the right body man" is NLA. So expect to have the work done twice, unless a reputable and renowned expert is commissioned first.

25. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Roma is the proper name for gypsies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people