Is the Mondial a Sports Car ? | FerrariChat

Is the Mondial a Sports Car ?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by AUDIO RESEARCH, Apr 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi guys ,

Is the Mondial a Sports Car? Is it a Sports Car like the 308 GT4 , 308 & 328 GTB/S? What is the members of the Mondial's forum consensus ? Is the car a genuine 4 seater or 2 + 2.

audio research

2. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Yes, it's a sportscar, not a supersport, but a sport.
    And Yes, it's a 2+2, like the GT4, not a real 4-seater.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I think that GT (Gran Turismo) is a more fitting description.

"A grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a performance and luxury automobile capable of high speed and spirited long-distance driving. The most common format is a two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_tourer

"The Mondial might be a four-seat GT car on paper, but it's still a mid-engined screaming Ferrari at Heart." -Terry Shea "Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car" August 2014

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    No

I've always contended a sports car has 2 seats. One of the very few cars that defy that is the 911 which technically has 4 seats.

IMO Mondial is a sporty 2+2. It's on the cusp of being a GT, but in my book a GT is a front engine 2 or 2+2 car.

Mondial really defies most attempts to classify it. It occupies an automotive niche which has a little bit of every automotive classification, sports car, 2+2, GT, even sedan

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Your question is a very hard one to answer. The reason being is "Sports Car" doesn't have a formal definition.

So what is one man's "Sports Car" can be another man's Mini Van. What a one Man's economy car could be another person's rocket. It's just so relative and subjective. Throw in the fact that these cars are anywhere between 36-23 Years old and that only complicates the matter.

But you did make it easier by mentioning three other models, the 308 GT4, 308/328 as comparisons.

The Mondial out handled the GT4 and 308 and was on par for acceleration (especially subsequent models after the 8) - if you consider the other three cars sports cars, then I argue the Mondial is a sports car as well.

As for if it's a real four-seater or a 2+2, it's always been marketed as a 2+2. I would argue anybody but a giant will fit back there; they just won't be comfortable. For kids or petite folks - it's just fine for longer trips.

6. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Agreed. But here is one that I like:

Most of the time, it is a relatively light weight, good handling, good accelerating car with 2 doors and 2 seats. Often the 2 seats means 2 "usable" seats. As noted above, I think most everyone would say a 911 is a sports car, as is the older 944/968. How about the Lotus Evora? Rear seats, otherwise seems to qualify. I don't think many would say it is not a sports car. I am sure there are others.

So in that vein, I think the Mondial fits the bill as a sports car. It handle incredibly well, has good if not overwhelming power, can exceed 150 mph (fast), is quick (at least the t, 0-60 is in the 6 second range due in part to good gearing) and has 2 seats for most purposes (you can put someone in the back, but not many adults will fit and not for a long drive).

If the 328 is a sports car, the extra rear seats and 100-200 lb. addition in the similarly powered Mondial doesn't change that to me.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well said Jerry...well said!!

I think the performance of any Mondial would embarrass the owner when compared to offerings you can get in any walk up dealership today.

But even in faster cars I've owned - doesn't matter - still prefer the Mondial - besides...I'm waaaayyy past stoplight engagements.

Let me give another analogy. It's like comparing the joy you get from a roller coaster (the average speed is 80 mph for all coasters) ... not that quick - yet way funner then a plane about to take off at 200 mph+

I had my friends' two sons in the back a couple months ago, accelerated on the freeway - they were screaming in gleeful delight - in my brother' in laws P85D - yawned as they stared at their iPads while probably accelerating at twice the speed.

8. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick
    It is what you want it to be, although I'm quite sure your insurance company would say it's a sports car

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Good one!

10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I had a Porsche 944 before my Mondial, and that was definitely a tossable sports car, very neutral handling, and was a 2+2 seating arrangement. The Mondial is heavier, and not as quick responding, steering, shifting and tossability wise. But the engine sound and connectedness to the car's goings on is very sports car like. So hard to characterize, but I would say the Mondial is a drivers car, but would reserve the sports car moniker for cars that emphasize light weight and almost nervous responsiveness.

11. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    It's a Ferrari. Hell yeah!

12. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    #12 billh1963, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Mondial is not a sports car....my drive in the mountains of NC last Fall demonstrated that in no uncertain terms.

I'm more of a traditionalist in what makes a sports car. In my opinion, this is what a true sports car looks like....attractive shape, nothing extra that is not needed for the task of driving, small displacement/large fun factor.

This is my youngest son home on leave driving one of my British cars...in this case a 1957 MGA. In mind a quintessential British sports car
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. MMT

MMT Karting

Apr 3, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    In my opinion, any two door car its regarded as sports car, and the Mondial is definitely sports car.
    That's what my insurance provider thinks anyway.

14. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    I would find a new insurance provider :)

There are many coupes (US name for a 2 door car) with no sporting attributes in the least

15. AUDIO RESEARCH

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    I myself am confused if it's a Sports Car , Coupe/Cabriolet , GT , or a 2+2 . I think it can't be classified like Ferrari's 400/412 , 456 , the FF and how about the 365GTC ? I hope someone can start a survey . Maybe that's one reason the Mondial is unique.

audio research

16. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    "I had my friends' two sons in the back a couple months ago, accelerated on the freeway - they were screaming in gleeful delight - in my brother' in laws P85D - yawned as they stared at their iPads while probably accelerating at twice the speed."

Ed Zachary - I get similar from my oldest granddau (13) when I accelerate..."Pop! Slow down please!" as I'm going into 4th gear...

17. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    Ill vote for 4 seat sports GT.
    2+2 is usually an apology of a back seat, anyone under 5'6" (1.70m) can get a comfy position.
    GT should also be average to great handling, which this is.
    Just because it is better at handling than the 308 does not mean it becomes a sports car.
    It has a more luxurious interior than BMW saloons (pay extra for a radio dammit) at the time but it is not a luxury saloon either.

But like most things, it is what you want it to be > my GF is not Christine Brinkley but she is definitely the most beautiful angel in the world.

BTW she sometimes reads my posts ;)

18. mistral95

mistral95 Rookie

Jun 19, 2015
    Paris France
    308/328 GTB/GTS were sports cars
    308GT4 and Mondial were Gran Turismo: GT

Compared to 308/328, the Mondial offers slighly lower performances, but higher comfort with much more room: it is designed for long trips: it is a GT

19. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I think the Mondial has many apperances and it is what you want it to be. One finds it a true GT and drives it for long journeys, while others speed it on a track. Some do shopping with it and others bring their kids to school. On rare occassions some use it to hunt for cars :D

Myself. A true GT. Still need to confince my insurance that it is not a sports car, but for some reason they say different :)

20. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Definitely a 2+2, not a 4 seater by any stretch.

I'd be fine if someone else called it a GT or a sports car.

But for me - it's a sports car. It's mid-engined. It's sexy. It's low to the ground. It howls. It brakes, steers, and corners like a champion.

2+2 Sports car. That's my vote.

Edit: I always considered the 400/412 the Ferrari GT of the era.

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's all so relative. Especially as others here have pointed out - one has to compare a car to it's time period.

In Japan - they have a racing league just for souped up dodge vans

In the end, to answer the OP's original question - it doesn't matter what the guy next to you considers it to be, what matters is what *you* consider it to be. That's pretty much it.

22. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I figure only Ferrari and Lambo build nothing BUT sports cars (Lambo make a SUV yet ?)
    Everybody else either has a four door something or an SUV.
    So Mondial is not only a sports car, but also has exotic looks.
    How many BMWs, MBs, Porsches and Audis do you see on the road EVERY day ?
    .....and how often do you see a Ferrari ?

23. AUDIO RESEARCH

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    I think the Mondial is similar to what Ferrari did in the past during Michael Schumacher's era . They built a Formula 1 two seater car ( riding in tandem) in order for ordinary people to get a feel how a Race car performs when it's at speed and driven by a race car driver. In the Mondial 's case , the Kids or members of the family that can fit in the back seat to experience riding a Ferrari.

audio research

24. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    #24 bencollins, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well you can argue for 2+2 or four seater, depends on definition and it is on the cusp..
    For me an MGB GT or 911 is a 2+2, and this is better. The article attached agrees.

As above poster points out, depends what you are stepping out of, if it is a Camry or SUV then it is sports car. Personally my other cars are sports cars, an Elise S1 and Frogeye/Bugeye and both are small and weigh less than 720kg / 1600lb so for me this is not a sports car but a four seat GT because it has a long wheelbase and is over 4.5m long which feels massive to me.

Once you say "GT" I dont think anyone expects Lincoln rear legroom.
    Ferrari Mondial
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    Just realised that modern 2 seat Fs are the same length so Im just behind the times.
    Perspective.

In other new I went to one of those put-your-key-in-the-basket-parties last year.
    I dont know who got my moped, but this Ford has given me 12 months of trouble free motoring.