Issue when shifting in 1st | FerrariChat

Issue when shifting in 1st

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Apr 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hey,

I'm having this little issue with my 82 QV: when shifting in first, 50% of the time the gear is not engaged. When I press the lever down (like you would do to put in reverse) and then shift in 1st, it works 100% of the time!

Does that sound like there's a problem with the shifter itself, with the rod that goes to the gearbox and passes through the engine, or is that an issue in the gearbox?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    A friend recently had to replace his 308 gear lever and on closer inspection it was worn halfway thro against the gate and this was throwing out 1st (& reverse) alignment - might be worth checking

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Could be something worn indeed. However, if something is worn in the shifter you feel it (awkward movement) when you shift.
    When do you have this problem? Cold or warm transmission, perhaps both?

Oldman's trick when synchros do not lign up.
    First put it in reverse and the shift at once to 1st gear.

Seems you are doing this, that might indicate to a (worn) synchro problem or alignment.

4. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    The problem first appeared when my car left the maintenance shop to have the oil pan gasket fixed. Maybe they hit something while removing it. I can live with it, but of course, it's not ideal.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Did they replace the shift shaft seals as well? Is so, then it's definitely a linkage adjustment issue.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That would be the first thing to check. I am not a mechanic, but inside the gear box, there is a stack of three 90° brackets (“renvois d’angle”, in French) on one vertical axle, one above the other, that convert the LONGITUDINAL movement they receive from the shifter shaft towards the gear axles, that are TRANSVERSE, to select the gears.
    Usually when the shifter shaft is not perfectly aligned, it cannot select the correct gear because its extremity inside the gear box is not pushing on the right bracket (= you get a gear, but a wrong one…) or pushing on the right one, but not “truly” (you get the right gear, but cannot engage it.) ?

Rgds

7. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    It looks like that's something I can't solve without opening the gearbox. It's not that it's selecting the wrong gear, the gearbox just stays in neutral when the shifter is in 1st.

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I'm with Wade. They must have done more then just changing fluids. Unless they changed to a very different lubricant. I'm thinking it is a linkage problem. If so don't drive too long with it, because if it scrubs to much against the forks.. they wear out before you know it. Not sure what forks cost these days, but it is a lot.

9. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    My feeling is they drop a little of the 3 balls and put all back together without it...

Guido

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Upss! That would be a very easy, but at the same time a stupid mistake. Or switched the spacers. �� Not sure if the ball hold the lever in gear to be honest. It's true that these little balls tend to fly into every direction if it is your first time taking the pan off ��

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #11 Wade, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hey, it's not a 'balls' problem, all 3 of them are in there. I had that checked by another mechanic because that was my first thought.

13. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #13 theunissenguido, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Its the little ball that keeps the lever in gear...with the pression of the spring under it. Maybe they put the spring first and the the ball...or an other ball with other diameter.
    Can be also that the hollow space in that lever is'nt put horizontal so that ball has'nt enough space to pass.

Guido

14. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I had this issue after I changed my shifter shaft seals.
    It's all about allignment.
    tricky job but doable. The problem is when you tighten the bolts the shaft could move.

I redid the alignment and all troubles were solved.

15. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Makes sense!

-----------------
    Just in case.
    Ferrari 308 and 328 gearbox alignment

16. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    thanks guys for helping me out... Guido, wecould do this together when you're here in May :)

17. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    just find the time....more then 20 owners waiting for fuseboxes !

Guido