Relay replacement and concourse judging? | FerrariChat

Relay replacement and concourse judging?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Alden, Apr 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    One of my relay/fuse set customers was concerned about replacing his old corroded metal relays with modern sealed units.

In fact, his dealer raised the point that it might hurt the "originality" of car.

I know that replacing the relays/fuses is considered routine maintenance and the old metal relays are NLA. Everyone who has done the swap has been pleased with the way all the electrical systems of the car function afterwards.

I saw this section in the FCA judging guidelines and wondered if it pertains to relays:

"Routine replacement items, such as spark plugs, filters, battery, window glass, exhausts, rubber wiper blades, water hoses, brake hoses and tires, need not be the exact original brand or type provided that replacements conform to the general appearance,
    characteristics, and size of the original."

I advised my customer that he could keep his old nasty relays for shows or re-sale but still enjoy the benefits of better and safer function of all the electrical systems on the car by replacing them with new ones.

Alden

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    This q-tip crowd always cracks me up !!!

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Who would that be?

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Larger, National events tend to be judged by more experienced judges than smaller local events so it depends what and where you are talking about. Also FCA has very different motives and standards than most any other organization.
    As always the owner needs to be an advocate for their car. It should be pointed out and the judges told it is part of maintenance and the old relays are NLA. It should be said that they are consumables and subject to that rule.

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Brian,
    Thanks for the response, I know you are a judge so that means a lot.

The opinion you expressed is what I thought was correct, but I was also surprised to hear that advice coming from a dealer.
    Alden

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

This 100%.

At the FCA PA/NJ, some of the judges are highly skilled and well versed in the vehicles they judge. Others, not so much.

They had me judge 550/575's one year. Usually I judge the Dinos, but we didn't have any that year.

I know a fair amount about Dinos, but bupkis about 550/575's. I tried to explain this to the guys but they were having none of it. So I had to rely on the honesty of the owners when I asked if headlights were correct, if equipment was stock, etc.

The national level judges who were helping out were a BIG help, but we didn't strictly adhere to FCA guidelines.

Brian. I've been told that sometimes these kinds of items are used for tie breakers for gold and silver cars, where there can be only one winner.

D

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The owners who worry more about the authenticity of the relay markings. Never mind that the fuel pump does not work because of the relay.

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #8 MvT, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    IMHO a dealer should advice new relays. Eventually you go to them for the "right" servicing and maintenance (advice) unless they earn a lot on towing :) If a dealer would say this to me I'm off to another.

Here in Europe there are not a lot of concours and if there are it would mostly be for the rarities of vehicles. Most common Ferraris here are runners anyway even F40ties. We drive them from one corner of Europe to the other one and your Ferrari gets hit by all kind of debris or animals what makes stone chips pretty common (there are exceptions). Sometimes I find it a pity that we do not have these concours, but it is soon forgotten when we drive with 10, 15, 30 or 40 Fcars on the road :) And as cherry on the pie.. when hitting the German highway you can blast yourself away (what most people do).

Ps. I think if all relays are replaced by "original" new Bosch ones a good judge can appreciated that more I think then having a car that is electrical not in order. Secondly it colors up your fusebox :)

And fun we have!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen

On the subject of relays Alden you can be assured that on the Mondi replacement is safe as they are 1) consumable and 2) have the fuse box cover so you cant really see the relays.
    Tjin,

Anytime your in Cali let me know we will get a group ride going, we have a similar drive in LA once a month for lunch with an F40 too! I drive my car and take pride in my showings as I know its a daily driver

Anywhoo my car is not "Pebble Beach Top Drawer Concours" but then again I drive it weekly to "blow" the dust off with a big ass smile on my face!

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Will do! and likewise! ..if it is not raining :)

Btw do you use any stone chip foil on the front?

11. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Unfortunately no.....I "fill" in every few months then buff it out