Mondial vs? Win, Loose or Draw! | FerrariChat

Mondial vs? Win, Loose or Draw!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Bell Bloke, Apr 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Well I don't know about you guys but come the weekend Emily and I often like to go hunting in Kato of an evening.
    There is a fair bit of game around our area, some of which is quite a challenge to catch with the old lad. So far we've had some very cool duels and just to take driving skill out of the equation we score most of our encounters on straight line shoot outs. The score to date is quite interesting.....
    Latest results are:
    Kato 3.0 with some tweeks and weight loss...
    Vs :
    Aston Martin mid 2005 V12 = A Draw...off the lights numerous times.
    Audi A8.... = A Draw...off the lights!!
    New Ferrari California = We Lost.
    Maxed up Mazda Rx7= We Lost.
    Ferrari 360 = A Draw....off the lights to a naughty speed.
    Anyway food for thought I think you'll agree..
    Regards Bell

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Interesting results, Bell - have you ever tried to do a measured 0-60 run using one of those free apps? I've been tinkering with the idea myself just for curiosity.

be safe my friend.

3. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Paul, no I haven't actually done that oddly enough, I suppose I wasn't sure if it was accurate.
    I recon that based on what we have raced and what we have been beaten by our 0-60 must be about 5.0 sec dead.
    It's interesting that even my friends Aston Vanquish is hardly any quicker. In a 0-100 sprint it maybe makes about 10 feet on us.
    I was amazed that we tagged that Audi R8 though. I mean that was from a 10mph rolling start off the lights and we were 2 up, he was on his own. It was Emily who said 'take him' to which I said he'll probably take us. Well he didn't!
    After a bit of blasting, we got up along side him a flashed him a grin...he was not amused.
    On returning home I checked out the R8 specs and can see why we kept up. Basically modern cars are very heavy....and we are not.
    Might go out hunting tonight, weather is dry, tends to bring the game out. ;-)

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Ouch.. the Mazda. That is a 1.3 engine. A wankel rotary engine, but still. Make meat of this guy next time unless it is the Turbo variant!

Watch out for the Omegas (If they are still driving those)! They've got heli friends :)

What happened to your avatar btw?

5. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey MvT, we are coming to see you soon :) in August.
    Yeah what has happened to my avatar?
    Yes that damned Mazda was very very turboed!!
    He was just a bit quicker than me down the straights but i was catching him on the brakes. I scrapped with him for about 10 miles but to be honest I would never have been able to get past him....bloody wankel!

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks for your response Bell!!

Drive in good health!

Cheers

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Kato is quite a bit lightened isn't he? I don't remember how much you took off?

8. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Yes he is, he looks standard but heat shields are gone, or are made of lighter alloy, even the speakers are gone! He's got 168lb taken off we both have a combined weight of 240lbs and I always run little fuel when out hunting, Kato also has tweeked valve timing which has changed the power delivery.
    Lots of little things but they seriously add up making Kato way faster than our 3.2, which is why we never go hunting with the 3.2. Mind you the 3.2 does have a better roll bar set up than Kato does, with better body control in the direction changes.
    Regards Bell.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    ...you devil!

:)

Good Job!!

10. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Chased a Lamborghini Aventador today his driving style revealed that he probably wasn't sure of the car, however he overtook a couple of cars and we followed through. We also went through a short tunnel, he changed down and we were totally drowned out by the sound of his V12, I have to say I think the Countach and Diabolo sound way better, with more tonal range and a cacophony of different sounds that the new cars don't have.
    Finally we got the jump on him and got passed him and the car he was going to pass, we then scorched down to a junction and flashed him on the way back te he.
    Was it a win? Er not really, in a straight line he would have been gone for dust, but it was fun and he was trying....

11. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    WE WANT VIDEO!! (But be certain to blur out incriminating stuff.)

12. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Yes you know I think I'm gonna keep my Gopro in Kato, trouble is that the speed is the issue as soon as one videos anything these days. I could take a series of stills from the video showing key moments but that sounds like watching paint dry......it's a problem...

13. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I am delighted at your street safaris but seriously, you need to get thyself unto a genuine 1/4 drag strip. Get some real numbers. You are a genuine Ferrari guy but street cred comes from timing lights.

Here are my speed times running the Heaven's Landing 1/2 mile shoot out this last May. Unfortunately they only did speed timing and had no 1/4 mile split times. I ran the series to test shift points. First run at 7,500 second run at 7,000 third run at 6,500 and fourth run at 6,000, and fifth power shifting at 6,500.

113.2930 112.9518 113.0085 114.6205 113.9818

As it turned out I was NOT the slowest car on the track. We had close to 200 cars total and it was all very informal. Get in line and run. Get in line and run. I had enough time to get two or three more runs in but I had my data. The fastest elapse speed was achieved by shifting at 6,000 rpms.

It was a perfect May day. There were no trophies or gee gaws. No national media or TV. Just lots of guys wanting to go fast in 1/2 a mile. The think the fastest car my day was a Lambo at about 200mph. He was parked behind me during a lunch break and there were just a few guys milling about chatting. The car was a marvel of simplicity and form follows function. Word was the turbos were turned up to 1,800 HP. As opposed to only 1,200 the day previous.

Now I need a mathematician who knows differential calculus. If I did 115 mph in 1/2mi what is my likely speed in 1/4 mile? One needs to remember that the last 1/4 mile of a 1/2 mile run is already being approached at significant speed to begin with. I doubt the second half of my run lasted more then about 5 seconds or so. But I had no stop watch.

14. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have owned 2 360s and corruptly have a Mondial T when you say a few updates I am interested in how you made a 3 liter Mondial equal to a 3.6 liter 400 hp 360. My T is 300 hp and not even close.

15. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi there, yes I know I wouldn't believe it either but next time I get the opportunity to video it in a non incriminating I will. Mods are camshaft timing and considerable weight loss ie all air con stuff, pumps, brackets , pipes spare wheel, heavy heat shields, steel undertray even door speakers are gone. The 3.0 car now absolutely thrashes our 3.2 in a straight line. It's true to say that after 100mph the 360 s I raced off the lights were starting to pull away but upto 100 we were the same. It's interesting that a weight lost here and there, coupled with more power above 5000rpm has totally changed our 3.0. Now I don't even drive the 3.2 anymore cos it feels too slow.
    The only thing the 3.2 has over the 3.0 is better body control in roll and general damping BUT that could be down to Old springs and dampers I'm sure.
    It's interesting though isn't it, that modern Ferrari cars now weigh 1,900kg over the old cars that weighed in at 1,400 and that's why they need nearly double the power to be only a bit quicker. Imagine the old F40 with the F12 cars power it would be insane!
    Anyway since this thread is useless without video, I have a plan for next time......Gopro is at the ready.
    Went fishing today but nothing fast to play with.....Kato is waiting.
    All the best Bell

16. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Trying to remember other mods, exhaust is non standard and very light unlike the original which weighs a ton, also the condenser radiator is gone.
    Another thing is we never run with more than 1/4 of a tank of fuel because fuel is weight also and there are plenty of fuel stations here in the UK so we never get caught short. I think that's it, short of putting helium in the tyres, there was no way I could sensibly get more weight out without it visually effecting the car.
    Regards Bell