Thinking about adding another horse | FerrariChat

Thinking about adding another horse

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by yangstein, Apr 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi,

I am a happy F430 Spider owner. Ferraris are my favorite as all of you. Our family loves cars and we have several toys. My wife drives her company car during the day but wants to have a smaller car to drive around the town, running errands when she gets off from work early in the afternoon. She's been driving an S8 and telling me it is too big and would like a smaller fun car.

I looked at this Mondial Cabrio near us and would like to know anyone knows about the history of this car.

VIN #: ZFFFC33A3K0082172

It's 89 Cabrio with 37K miles on it. I do not want a garage queen where I feel more confident that the car has been driven fairly.

My wife and I will drive the car on weekends together and would like to know if it is pretty reliable to drive around the town. You guys are the actual owners of Mondials so I thought it would be the best to ask you guys. My F430 has been super reliable and I am very confident driving it everywhere. How are Mondials?

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hello Brian,

I have no qualms about driving my Mondial daily if need be. But it's not what I consider a daily driver. The main reasons is the following.

1) It takes about 5-10 minutes to warm up - It works fine, you can just turn key and go - but I have to wait until the gear oil gets warm to use 2nd gear, and I can't rev it to redline until the oil temp gets to proper level...sometimes I"m already half way to my destination before I can really 'stretch' its legs.

2) The HVAC system is just 'adequate' - for a daily driver, I like being able to have efficient heating in the morning and cooling in super hot days. The Mondial just 'barely' gets it done - Modern cars are much more quicker to get to optimum comfort temp

3) Unless upgraded, the radio is pretty poor quality (many would say the engine is music enough) - I like to listen to news/music on my commutes in hi-fi...can be upgraded

4) The cargo space is great - but forget Costco runs! (though I've seen many awesome photos of what people have been able to stuff in their cars and back seats!)

5) Unless upgraded, the headlights lights are not as bright as modern day HIDs - I'm spoiled - can easily be upgraded though

6) I usually drive with the top down, it's a pain to put the top up and down "quickly" - so I hate having to park everyday and think of having to put the top up and down twice a day.

7) It's low - like any Ferrari - my daily commute usually has speed bumps and pot holes the size of small craters

8) It's dreadful in bumper to bumper traffic

9) It's loud (Nouvalari)- I try not to disturb neighbors since I leave very early morning everyday

10) The next is just personal - sometimes I enjoy being a wall flower in blissful anonymity...this car gets attention from everybody. Folks that know Ferrari, folks that don't know but due to it's classic status know it's special. When I would drive an NSX, only car folks appreciated it. People that don't know anything or care about cars even love this car due to it's special classic nature. Let me put it this way, an old lady wouldn't care less about an NSX, but see a classic Ferrari - they somehow know it's 'different' - maybe it's just my own bias.
    It's hard to deal with that kind of attention *everyday*....

As far as reliability - after I got it sorted from previous owner - I drove 10K + miles in the last 2 years - worse thing that happened was bad alternator. (easy fix)

So in a nutshell - Yes, it can be a daily driver - easily - but I wouldn't do it. To me it's the PERFECT 'weekend' car.

Cheers

3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Regarding the HVAC issue:
    The Mondial actually has a good AC system, I live in Florida and have no trouble staying comfortable in the summer, but you need to get Ron's vent wedge kit to get the center vent angled up enough so you can get some air on your face and chest. The heat will keep you toasty warm in the winter too. Make sure the vents under dash are closed off too.

Might as well get Ron's roof toggles (the OEM ones break) and B pillars too.

Someone else on the board ;-) also sells relay/fuse upgrade kits, W connector repair kits, seat riser kits (1" up makes a big difference,) fancy oil caps and tow eye extenders (your OEM is too short to use!)

They are great, fun cars, same drivetrain as the 348, reliable and easy to work on too although your T will require an engine out to service the belts in most cases.
    Alden

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks Alden! I too am a supporter of Ron's Stuff! I have all 3 of his kits! (Toggles, Vent upgrade and B pillars) - - might need to recharge my coolant!

5. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thank you guys... Ferrari's charaters are the same for years... I just want a classic one in my garage that would last for a long time... I am already itching for a 488 spider but not a fan of turbo's. Naturally aspirated engine is making me stay with my F430 for now but my wife wants a fun car when she returns home from work. I thought Mondial would do the trick. I lowered my 911 turbo so she can't get in and out easily and doesn't want to drive it. A "Mondial" seems to be a good fit.. I am going to test drive it this weekend. 89 Red with Tan (Very typical for a Rarri) with 37K miles for $49K. Is it a good deal? I am sure I will do the PPI with my mechanic before doing anything.

I am all ready for your suggestions to follow as I know how friendly, supportive and great to have chat members here to help out each other.

Thank you guys.....

6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Hi Brian, A Mondial is great and it is rock solid. Even your F430 has the same engine base ;) keep in mind in the beginning they are unreliable, but when you get passed the oh so often neglected maintenance they become the most reliable of the F family.

It's not really a women's car... many female friends who driven mine find it too heavy, not handy to park, a heavy clutch and for women awkward entering (wearing skirts) since the seat is more forward compared to the door then every other car. Not to speak about shifting. An old Porsche is way better to handle and I'm not the one saying it. There are exceptions of course.. They love the looks though!

Happy hunting!

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Sounds awesome Brian, I would shoot for 40-45 depending on condition and of course when last major was done!

Good luck! They are awesome cars, very visceral old school. If you like that you'll love it!

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    $49K ? That seems rich to me. But what do I know, I don't have one.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    they are going up...for better or worse....I think gone are the days of the 30K Mondi T....

at least until the next recession perhaps...

Good to hear from you Mitch, attending FOG this weekend?

10. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I love my QV mainly because I could fix anything that goes wrong without a computer and I have.

11. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    PM sent. Howie.

12. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    I know a 550 owner who's bride drives a GT4 - loves it - I'd pick Mondi or 911 myself. Can't see a downside if you do your diligence. My bride thinks our 87 3.2 Cab is hers anyway...

13. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #13 Alden, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    The 89 will be a T model with power steering and adjustable suspension, that should make it easier on the gals.

Heavy clutch? I don't think so, but most folks have never driven a gated car so they think it is hard to push.

Someone on the forum added a vacuum driven booster to his clutch hydraulic system to make the pedal easier, if I can find the thread, I will post it.

Goldie Hawn, the late Nicole Simpson and lots of women have driven the Mondial as a DD and who can forget the Lampoon "Vacation" movie with and older Christie Brinkley as a "Mom" in a Mondial!

And $49K for a perfect T is not a bad deal. With 37K miles it will not be a garage queen with lots of sorting to do, hopefully.
    Alden

14. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I see now that it is a 89 (didn't notice or read it) The T is more female friendly indeed. It also has a way better driving behavior then the earlier models. Not that the earlier ones are not good.. I drove the T and you have less feeling that it is a big car, everthing goes much easier.

It's merely the feedback I got and do an Echo here. It's my personal opinion, but the clutch is more heavy the normal commuters, but I think that is because most cars here are not more then 1800cc, 4 cylinders and you do not need a bigger clutch for example as for a v6 or v8, which is more common in the US.

And women do buy the earlier ones. The first owner of my Mondial was a women.

15. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have an 89 t coupe.

The AC is not bad, but on real hot Florida days, it struggles to keep up. Prior owner did do an R134a conversion. I have Ron's vent kit, which does help redirect air. As a weekend car that is not an issue, but I wouldn't want to take it to work every day during the summer.

The clutch is a little heavier than most cars its size, but by no means is it "heavy". The gearbox does take a firm hand, even when warm. Like most, 2nd gear does not like to be engaged until temps warm up. I find that once my oil temp gauge starts to move, 2nd gear becomes cooperative. Shifting from 1st to 3rd until it warms up is not a problem, the motor has a lot of low end torque for its size and its rev range. Knowing how to rev match/downshift not only relieves wear on the synchros, but is a lot of fun!

Power steering is excellent. Once moving you won't even realize there is power assist and in tight places, you will really appreciate it.

Adjustable suspension is helpful. Comes out of a Corvette, so repairs (most need) are relatively cheap and last a long time (plastic gear goes bad, replace with metal, problem solved).

It is reliable, although it would never be my only car. Only time it let me down was when one of the ignition modules went bad. Took a couple of days to figure out the problem. Part from Ferrari was over $1000, similar Porsche part looked promising at $350, until I found a replacement on the internet (new) for under $100!! (at that price, I bought a spare!) But that took a week of searching, so car was down until part arrived.

The seats are far forward, with a long door. Best way for your wife to get out is probably the "pivot" method. With both feet on the ground, just stand up, using left hand on body to help.

It seems there is no depreciation left, so the only costs are maintenance. Look at recent discussion about dropping the gas tank instead of the engine for belt service.

Based on your usage, I think you will be very pleased with the car.

Good luck with your PPI.

Regards,
    Jerry

16. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I kept my R12 system because it cools much better than R134.

R12 was getting expensive and hard to find although some say there is more out there than needed now and the "hoarders" will start selling off soon before demand drops to nil.

I would say that the Mondial is on of the few mostly analog exotics left that you can buy, drive, service, sell and still be mostly ahead if not too far behind in cash. And it has the room most gals appreciate.

Just sayin'.....
    Alden

17. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have all of Ron's stuff too, but, how about the "other guy" who sells upgrade stuff? No love there? lol!
    Alden

18. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Hi Brian, just checking that you got my PM? I have been thinking about selling my 92t, 25k miles, and lots of goodies. Talking about original owners,Janet Gretzky was the original owner of my car. Howie.

19. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yeah, the "other guy" is pretty easy to work with! :)

Agree about R12 conversion (although current pricing is high), but once converted, it makes no sense going back.

Regards,
    Jerry

20. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Wow.. Thank you guys... As expected, lots of useful information to know the model. Yes. it is a "T" model where they replaced the engine configuration. I will try to grab some pictures..
    Hold on...

21. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
  22. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    My wife takes my 911 turbo out when I am not around and tears it... I caught her few times... She loves driving and is not a shy to drive... I think she can definitely handle heavy clutch for sure.. I gotta see how it really feels this weekend... Hmmmm I am already dying to take it out for a spin...

23. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Very nice looking T and a classic color combo too. No doubting that it is a Ferrari.

Re: The bra. You probably know they do more damage by trapping anything, dirt, sand, etc. against the paint which rubs on the car as it flaps in the wind, never understood the logic behind those.

And they look ridiculous too, lol!
    Alden

24. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Ok ok ok

It's just a bra. I was just hyperventilating....... I thought it was someones personal interpretation how a Mondi front bumper should like. Where are my betablockers goddammit.

25. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Nice car.
    Get rid of the bra, but wait until the second date ;)

Best
    Jurgen