Fuel tank repair price | FerrariChat

Fuel tank repair price

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by redlightrich, Apr 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redlightrich

redlightrich Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    north New Jersey USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Hello all, my car sat dormant for many years. After sorting it out and cleaning out the old gook and gas that turned to a grease like substance, a few of the seams on the right side bottom of the tank began to seep.

I my employee ( dressed in his mechanic clothes) to a radiator repair shop ( after I thoroughly removed all the fumes making it safe for welding) and told him to say he didn't know what car it came out of. " Just one of my bosses old cars". One welder came over and said " Which model of Ferrari does he have?

So my little plan to avoid the Fcar tax failed.

Anyway, after pressurizing it, he said there were many pinholes on the right bottom, and said he would replate it ( taking and 1/8 sheet of aluminum) and go directly over the current bottom.

His price was 650 plus tax.

I felt this was expensive, and told him I would decide over the weekend. The materials are near 90 dollars retail ( I looked at a sheet of aluminum 24x48 incles)

Does anyone have any idea on the repair cost? Is the 650 reasonable? Is there a better easier way? Should I simply aluminum braze it ( cold melt rods?) Should I use an epoxy sealer? That kind of makes me nervous?

Any ideas will be welcome. I hate to sound so cheap, but 650 is way more than I expected.

Thank you

Rich

2. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  3. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    try the same trick with a different radiator shop.

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Rich, for that kind of money you will have a good used tank. It's too much for welding even for welding aluminum, unless he welds with gold. 200 USD at most for welding.

5. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
  6. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Some shops will offer you a slouch method to seal the leaking tank.

DON'T DO IT !

The sealant will age and flake, and clog up your fuel system.

7. redlightrich

redlightrich Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    north New Jersey USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thanks for all the input and links. No, I will not weld a tank that was freshly removed. There are a few "safe" methods to make the tank safe enough to weld. You can let it air out for many weeks. You can wash it out thoroughly using water and dish detergent then let it air out. You can attach a hose to a late model car's tailpipe, and run the exhaust thru the tank ( if this is done properly it will allow the fumes to flash from heat while circulating an inert gas thru the tank. If using any of these methods, time is still required for all fumes to go away.

There is a difference between a residual smell and vapors that can ignite.

If you ever wondered why a car doesn't explode from an in tank electric pump or even the fuel tank sending unit ( both have 12V and the potential for a lot of amperage if a short hapened) it is worth looking up.
    2 years ago, an employee of mine ( one of my mechanics) asked me " why doesn't the fuel explode from the fuel pump or sender"?

One of the things that make you go hmmmm.... I understood his question and thought process, especially thinking of old time fuel level senders, which are a variable resistor which can absolutely spark during it's normal life span. I did my research and answered him.

Hint: it has to do with needing the perfect amount of air to fuel to explode, which the fuel tank in service can't provide.

At any rate, I appreciate everyone's input and concerns that I don't go kabooom!!!!!

Rich