A definitive on wheels & tyres | FerrariChat

A definitive on wheels & tyres

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by petrolheadjeff, Apr 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #1 petrolheadjeff, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Hi all. It’s time for me to be looking at new wheels and tyres for my car and I’m hoping I can get some correct info as to what I need to order on the phone.

I can only look for wheels when I know exactly what I need. The measurements I need and any extras (spacers and bolts ect) I also need to bolt the boots to the car.

Looking through threads on this subject, here and other sites I don’t see one single complete thread and conclusive “call to action” or “do this”. I have not found enough detailed info for me to have total confidence to lift the phone and order a set of rims and tyres.

There’s lots of chatter and opinions which are of no interest really when you’re looking for a recipe where you absolutely need to know the tyre will fit the rim and the rim will fit the car right away.

Along with the chatter there’s little or no mention of spacers and/or use of extended bolts.

If you we’re me and not wanting to mess with speedo accuracy and looking for a 17” rim front and rear. A slightly wider rim on the rear seems popular so I'll go for that. What rim spec (off set, inset, upset, this, that and other uninteresting stuff but important nuntheless) would you be telling the guy in the shop down the phone that you want. What tyre would go on that rim?

I’m sure there are many tyre options but a few will do. I just don't want the car too low as we have speed bumps growing outta the ground on a weekly basis around here.

Many have changed their wheels in the past so there seems to be a vanilla recipe out there.

Perhaps this thread can be the “go to” thread for those in the future needing a “go to slice of vanilla” for a 17" QV wheel conversion recipe that works.

Thanks!
    Jeff

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #2 Wade, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #3 MvT, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    My favorite :D they look very good. And also what is under the rear hood ;) A Mondi carburater if I am not mistaken!

4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, quad Weber downdrafts. I wanted that car so bad a few years ago but, at the time, Russ wasn't selling...

It belongs to Diz now.

Not many hot rod Ferraris out there. :)

5. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    sure I know the link. But is that the whole enchilada? Spacers? Bolts? There are a lot of parameters to this. Is there not?

6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    For the 17" Speedlines, they're a direct bolt-on and I almost bought a set for my 3.2. There was no mention of alternative bolts required (I doubt there is), and definitely no spacers needed.

7. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Did I mention speedlines? They wouldn't be my first choice. Soz, I was talking about rims & tyres but I guess I've got all I'm going to get on the subject so thanks to all.

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.