Are T and 3.2 steering wheels interchangeable? | FerrariChat

Are T and 3.2 steering wheels interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mondi88, May 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Looking for a bit more chunkier steering wheel than my 3.2 but don't want to drift too far from something authentic. Eurospares seem to have a good stock of T steering wheels.

I'm sure I've seen a thread on here with a 3.2 owner who bought the car with a T steering wheel already on it but can't find the thread/remember who it was.

Does anyone know if these are interchangeable without the need for new hub kits? Can they simply be swapped over? Or, can the 3.2 owner with a T wheel please step forward!? :)

2. JimboMondial

JimboMondial Karting

Dec 26, 2005
    Portsmouth UK
    Full Name:
    Jim
    As a fellow 3.2 owner I can't comment on whether a t steering wheel would fit but it would sound very lightly as momo steering wheels are fitted as standard to Ferrari and have a standard fitting my car came with a ridiculous small oblong race wheel and I swapped if for a bigger momo from a 911 Porsche.
    Jim

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Mine is the 3.2 that came with the T wheel, I put on a Hill Engineering hub extender, and that was designed for the stock 3.2 wheel, so I can say the bolt patterns are identical. Having only had the T wheel I can not comment on whether the larger diameter 3.2 wheel makes for easier low speed maneuvering, as the T wheel was presumably smaller as a result of its power steering.

4. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks both!

I'm thinking (hoping) that the chunkier rim will outweigh the smaller diameter and make static turning a little easier.

I'm not a great fan of pulling anything original off the car (and will safely store the original wheel) but it's just a bit too thin for me.

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #5 moysiuan, May 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The smaller t wheel looks and feels very good, and has the advantage of the extra horn buttons on the 3 and 9 o'clock spokes.

Also noting that depending on the angle you have the wheel at, the gauges may be obscured by a smaller diameter. And do save your old wheel, they are hard to find in good shape, shared with the early TR's I think. That said the T wheels are priced similarly, if the leather is not scuffed up, albeit there does seem to be more nos t wheels around verses the older style.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Andy. Yes my 3.2 wheel is in great condition and I will certainly pack it away carefully to refit if I ever did sell (not in my lifetime I hope!).

I did read about a smaller diameter obscuring dials but although I love the period look, the feel just disappoints and I think I'll bite the bullet and go with the Eurospares offering, an "as new" T version.

Thanks so much for picking up on the thread, my wildcard "call out" for you worked!

7. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My beautiful brand new T wheel arrived and was easy to swap over in terms of fitment of the wheel itself, but getting the horn to work wasn't so easy (at least to the un-technical me). It seems depressing the horn doesn't make a connection to the mount on the steering column which completes the circuit. With so little time at the moment, I quickly got despondent and gave up.

I'm considering taking it to my local shop for them to have a go (based on Andy's car, it can clearly be achieved somehow) but I'm loathed to really spend anymore $ on this.

If any T or 348 owner out there who wants a brand new replacement wheel, PM me with an offer (I'll look into postage to US). It cost me $600.

8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    This seems odd. Some have swapped to Nardi wheels with adapters and seem to have no horn issues. I don't recall anything noteworthy when I put on the Hill spacer years ago, just disconnected simple wires to the horn button. I hope you get this sorted.

9. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Andy. Yes, the wiring appears very simple. I have a single black wire coming from the steering column which joined a single connector on the 3.2 horn button.

On the T button, there is an earth connector (and earth wires too). But the issue seems to be making a circuit - if the black wire touches the metal ring on the steering column, the horn sounds. But when I connect up to the T wheel, depressing the button doesn't complete the circuit.

This is based on me bolting the new T wheel onto the existing 3.2 hub. Maybe I need the T hub in too (but this appears longer than the 3.2 and I don't have the correct tools to swap it out).

Nothing in my life is ever simple.... :(

10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I wish I was close, I'd be happy to make it work for you. I'm sure it's a very simple problem.

11. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Bless you Claude. I'm sure I'm doing something very daft. Its in for a service in a few weeks, may ask the garage to embarrass me into my shortcomings and take a look.

12. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Are you using the old 3.2 button on the t wheel? Many momo made wheels have the same 2" button hole size. Perhaps you just use the old button on the new wheel? Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but I think they are both momo wheels.

13. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, tried that Andy.
    It all seems related to a metal ring that sits between the steering wheel column and the steering wheel which appears to connect the circuit when depressing the horn.

When placing the T wheel, I think the horn button "doesn't reach" that metal ring. All a bit confusing to describe without some accompanying pictures (and car stored away from home).

14. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
  15. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Andy - success! :)
    The garage managed to get it all working (just needed some electrical fettling with a new earth wire). The hub that comes with the 3.4 T wheel will not fit in the 3.2 column. My set up now is the same as yours - 3.4 wheel bolted onto the 3.2 hub.

Thanks for your help! I love the more sportier feel with the thicker 3.4 wheel.

16. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    That's great! Welcome to the very exclusive t wheel club!