Strange Engine Noise | FerrariChat

Strange Engine Noise

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by NeedSpace, May 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    Last week, I was driving my 82 Mondial and it started to make a horrific noise in the engine compartment. I drove it home and thought "crud, not I have to fix it". My second thought was "cool, time to take this sucker apart!"

Here is the youtube video. Ignore the coolant leak. My son was helping me fill the coolant and we put too much in.

https://youtu.be/ff633Tgl5R0

What do you think it is?

Just so you know, there is a happy ending. I feel like the car is more mine now that I have taken it apart to tend to its wounds.

BTW, do you know what is just slightly better than saying "I finally own a Ferrari?"...."I fixed my Ferrari."

2. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I noticed that the noise does not speed up at the same rate at which you revved the engine. This has to be good news. My guess is that it's something rubbing up against one of the accessory drive pulleys or belts, but that's only a guess.

3. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Sounds like a loose heat shield.

4. Mondial_Switzerland

Oct 6, 2008
    Switzerland
    #4 Mondial_Switzerland, May 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had a similar noise, it was the timing belt drive (gears broken). very expensive 1'200 EUR each gear (without work) :(

i have also a video, i will upload it later today.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Besides the obvious water pump/coolant leaking everywhere, sounds like a bad bearing.
    I would try to pinpoint the source of the sound thru the engine bay and go from there.

Happy hunting!

6. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    A/C compressor if you have one.

If not, check water pump. If not that, when were the cam belt tensioners replaced?

Sounds like an external bearing noise to me.

7. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    #8 NeedSpace, May 13, 2016
    Thanks for all your feedback, you guys are great. I came to similar conclusions.

I took off the heat shield that covers the exhaust and it was quite loud there. At first, I thought it was this odd looking aluminum shield over the exhaust manifold. Never seen it look like that, mine is quite worn. When I dug a little deeper, it was a O2 sensor bung. Somehow, it had worked it way loose.

In my excitement to fix it, I burnt myself a few times before wising up and waiting for it to cool down. Afterward, tighten up, car back together and I am back on the road.

Also, while I was down there, I got a chance to inspect my coolant leak. It looks to be some bad clamps...well, hoping...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    glad to hear you back on the road! :)

9. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #10 soucorp, May 13, 2016
  10. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
  11. Mondial_Switzerland

Oct 6, 2008
    Switzerland
    No, by garage therefore I spoke about the cost.