Best shift is 6,000 rpm | FerrariChat

Best shift is 6,000 rpm

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, May 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    This conclusion is buried in my 1/2 mile drag race post. All my runs ended up with about 115 mph trap speed. However, I deliberatly tested four shift rpms in this order: 7,500; 7,000; 6,500; and 6,000. Each step was a bit faster then the previous test. The biggest speed increase was seen on the 6,000 rpm run. It was more then one mph faster then the 7,500 rpm test.

1986 Mondial 3.2 QV coupe

2. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
  3. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Very interesting.... Our 3.2 benefits little by increased rpm but Kato our 3.0 loves it, however Kato does have more overlap now.
    Regards Bell

4. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    For me, shifting prior to the redline would be like counting the licks to get to the tootsie roll in a tootsie pop. Kudos for testing the envelope, however, I'm not convinced it would hold true for a Mondial t. Unfortunately, the world may never know. ;)

Dave

5. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    what about the starts? Lots of variability from a perfect launch vs. stumble or riding the clutch etc...

6. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Agreed.

General rule (subject to laws of physics in the Ferrari universe) is to shift such that AFTER the shift, you are at the peak torque peak.

So, for example, if peak torque is say 4500, that is where you want to be after the shift. 6000, 6500 or 7000, depends on lot on gearing. If well set up, shift point in rpms should be around the hp peak.

Again, for maximum acceleration, not necessarily maximum fun!

Regards,
    Jerry

7. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I have a supposition on this and it has to do with stradling the torque curve. That seems to be what happens when I shift at about 6,000+ rpms which then drops down to about 4,500 in the next gear. I believe the peak torque is about 5,400 rpm.

Having always been delighted with red line shifts I was surprised when each lower rpm switch was a bit faster then the previous higher shift. Not by much. For instance, the 7,500 shift produced a speed of just over 113 mph and the 6,000 shift produced a speed just under 115 mph. That would only make a difference in a timed drag race. A 1.5 mph terminal advantage in a 1/ 4 race mile is not much.

However, I have always believed the 4,500 - 6,000+ rpm sewing machine smooth rush more satsfying then the full-boat 7,700 rpm cacaphony of mechanical torturer. Besides, I once scattered a clutch plate doing that!

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #8 Rapalyea, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
    A perfect start only matters in a timed race or for very high hp cars that can spin their tires in lower gears. Hell, I could stall the car at the starting gate, roll forward 15 ft, declutch, restart, and get the same end speed. The end speed is directly proportional to the total time under full power. For instance, I did a hard launch on my first run shifting at 7,500 rpm and that was my slowest run. However, if the run was timed that little leap forward couid have taken .25 seconds of my time. A full throttle dropped clutch burn out coud take off .50 seconds. AND - drum roll, the run would have half a second less of full throttle.

Its why older 911s were much faster on a drag strip then at stop light racing. All that rear weight bias just slung them out of the starting gate when you dropped the clutcH.

PS - I was tempted to try full throttle power shifts at 6,000 rpm and, assuming I did not miss a shift or scatter the engine would probably gotten a full 115 mph. I only needed about 1/3 more mph. But I may leave that goal for next year and using a full throttle drp clutch start and power shifting would almost surely get that extra third!