85 Mondial sold at Mecum | FerrariChat

85 Mondial sold at Mecum

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rover1551, May 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rover1551

Rover1551 Karting

Aug 12, 2015
    Tampa, Fla.
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #1 Rover1551, May 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    black 85 was in pieces a couple months ago and discussed here several times. Nice to see someone got it back together, but I'm sure they did not make out very well. Someone got a complete car to tinker with and use for a good price...could be worse

5. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
  6. Milkyboy

Milkyboy Karting

Jun 23, 2015
    Think that was the 'low mileage' texas car that had been on the bay on and off for about6 months. Seems like it did better at a live auction than it ever did on a virtual one.

7. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua

you're absolutely right, thanks for the correction!

9. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    I have read in several car magazines, that at Barrett Jackson in Arizona, for example, if a out of state purchaser takes possession of the car in Az, they are required to pay the Az sales tax. If the buyer has the car transported to their own state, they pay the sales there. Wonder, does Indiana how a similar law? A side bar story about all the fraud/buybacks, at B-J, a few years, this was covered in some of the magazines; the Az attorney general got involved, and announced, that even if a consignor lived in Az, and bought their car back, THEY WOULD, pay Az sales tax. As the Az attorney general said," if the car stays in Arizona, SOMEONE is going to pay sales tax on the car". The car magazine gave one such example: the car got bid to $100,000, the consignor that lived in Az bought it back, $18,000 in buy back fees, AND $7,000 in sales tax, to put the car back in the garage it came from. So, the consignor spent $25,000 in fees/taxes, and sold......nothing! OUCH!!

10. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Ha ha,,, that's my Old 350HPMondial,,, Norwood Turbo.
    Ceramic ball bearing Turbonetics Turbo.
    Cooks two Gallons of Mobile One each month.
    Fast, fast,, fast

Edwardo

11. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Oh,, and, I sold it for a Few Thousand More back in 2003.

$26,000 was a Steal.

12. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    This car was sold out of TX on Ebay for about 16K early last year. At the time it was not running and the seller was rather cagey about why not. I was able to figure out that the clutch was slipping from posts on this forum. He had owned it for several years but had yet to register the car in TX. So in reality it was not on the road for a rather long time and was sitting in a garage. It also had overheating problems because there is no intercooler and the temp would climb alarmingly on boost, so you had to drive it with one eye on the temp gauge. Norwood, who did the mod, said no practical way to fix that. The modifications made it illegal to register and illegal to sell by Federal law (tampering with the motor specifically by adding a turbocharger).

From TX it then went to AZ and was more or less immediately sold at auction in CA middle of last year for about the same money that it sold for at this Mecum auction. The buyer was from the midwest someplace and seemingly tired of the vehicle rather quickly.

The Texas owner never mentioned that it burned oil when he sold it on Ebay. So at this point 3 people have broken Federal law by selling an illegaly modified car: the kid in TX; the Ebay buyer in AZ; and the first auction buyer in the Midwest.

13. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    This pisses me off, soon we will be criminals for waking up in the morning.

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    For real? So every backyard mechanic who adds a TC or a Supercharger to their car is breaking the law? Every multi million $ hot rod shop that builds a car from the ground up and adds one to an engine or modifies said engine in some way is breaking federal law? Is this akin to breaking federal law by removing the tag from the mattress?

15. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I don't understand this either. Steve Dinan is famous for doing just that to older (and now newer) BMW's. Such a big business that he sold the company a couple of years ago for pretty good $$$$.

As to the mattress tag, rest easy, the retail customer is allowed to remove it! :)

Regards,
    Jerry

16. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    #16 350HPMondial, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
    Hey all,
    As I recall,
    The only Smog Ecuipment modifications performed on that 308 QV motor were,, the pulse air injection was rendered not fictional,,, but, the equipment continues to be mounted on the car. And, the Catylitic Converters are missing.
    Dou....!!
    Note, on a 1985 QV the pulse injection is only active during engine warm-up.. Also note, This illegal act,,, didn't stop me from registering that Norwood Turbo car back in 1999,,, but, I was able to secure a Property in Park County, CO for this. And, back in 2000,, no Smog check was required in that county.
    (Whew)
    Back then, when I enjoyed it.. I put about 1300 mi on that motor,,, trouble free. Dallas to Pismo Beach, California was a fun road trip.

And please note, that Norwood Turbo motor did Not Burn oil. The oil would just turn brown from extreme use.. Needs an Intercooler.
    What I added, to the standard F car maintenance, was to Keep an eye on the color of the oil. So, When I checked the oil level,,, after every spirited drive, up the I-70, at 10,000' ,, to Chief Hosa,, with no car able to keep up except the odd Subaru WRX. The oil was fine..
    But,, That Turbo exhaust temperature was critical,,, you want to keep it below 1800 deg F. That motor has an exhaust thermocouple installed on it from a Peterbelt diesel.
    Also,, That motor runs a Haltech Port Injection system. And, with compression at 8.2 Ferrari Factory for a USA car,, the Turbo really doesn't need an Intercooler,, but, it couldn't hurt the oil to be a little cooler.
    The Clutch,,,,?? Aaaaa ha ha, I put two in it in two years. Why,,, That car has 350 Hp at the rear wheels.
    Ok,, How many ponies are on that Overstressed flywheel...??
    Thus,,, That car needs a 348 twin disc set up.

Other than that,, the laws for Turbo Addition vary from State to State,, and apparently, in Colorado,,, county to county.

Anyway,, that is a nice car,, $ 26,000 was a steel. Glad it is still Alive.
    :)

Edwardo