Side Badges | FerrariChat

Side Badges

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MauroV, May 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Apologies if this is a really lame post but I would welcome your opinions.

My 1983 QV is due out of the body shop in the next few weeks after 7 months of having the rust cut out and returning it back to it's original colour. Blue Azzurro metallic from Yellow. Its been good having the car in a dry place over the winter but now I want it back.

So I am at the stage of replacing the badges, where for example, the Ferrari script on the boot was rubbed down and painted black, presumably because someone thought it would look good on the yellow.

Anyway, I have decided to put Ferrari shields on the front wings and bought a pair from Superformance along with some other badges. However, I hadn't really thought this through and when I got them home I realised the side shields I had bought are raised or quite thick. I was expecting thin vinyl shields.

So here is the really lame question, its not whether I should have side shields at all but whether you think raised side shields would look good or would I be better off with flat ones?

2. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    There no stupid questions, only answers & people. ;)

I think everybody has the raised shields on his wings. I haven't seen others....
    So, go ahaid and stick them on. Please show us some pics of the blu car!

3. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    #3 srephwed, May 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I like the idea of doing them the way Ferrari did it back in the day. Painted on. :D. I don't know anyone who has done this but I like the idea.

Stickers may fade. The pieces you have I believe to be high quality.

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #5 Alden, May 21, 2016
    Just a suggestion:

Buy some cheap, vinyl stick on shields, install them and see if you like them and their positioning before you install the thicker ones. Easy to remove if you don't.

They look like flush mounts or painted shields from a distance and that will give you some idea of the difference between the thicker and thinner options.

BTW, I have the thin vinyl shields on mine and I like them. If they fade, I will simply replace them.
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    Sorry,

I vote for going without additional side shields.
    You are bringing your car back to the very elegant blue, especially handsome together with a crema interior. Why go back to "flash" with the extra shields? The maker is already mentioned on the bonnet(s), steeering wheel and wheel caps ;-)

cheers

braq

7. JimboMondial

JimboMondial Karting

Dec 26, 2005
    Portsmouth UK
    Full Name:
    Jim
  8. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    #8 Leighton360, May 21, 2016
  9. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would keep it original as much as possible i.e. no stickers.

10. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    I'm with Maserati Mike. Don't put shields on it...it's so beautiful without them.

11. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    I would second the motion to go with the magnetic shields, easy to remove, and if you really like the look, you can always upgrade to the heavy metal shields. And with the magnetic units, you can move them around on the fenders to see what position looks the best.

12. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Sorry, but until 1999 the fender shields have been a sign of the scuderia cars, the race cars only, not the street cars. So there has never been any Mondial with factory mounted shields. That is the reason, why I would vote for "never ever mount them"

just my 0.02 $

13. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Can of worms opened? Check.

When we get done with the shield debate, we can discuss the proper motor oil to use in our Mondials, OK? :)

Bottom line is that it is your car, do what you like, but make it temporary at first in case someone else changes your mind for you. ;-)

Alden

14. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have the magnetic ones as well but they are still on the refrigerator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    Whilst we are opening worm cans.....that lower pic on Alden's post where the shadow merges with the black painted areas on the sills/under door and front lip really sells the idea of keeping the areas dark. Until now I was erring in the paint them red camp.

16. Stef65

Stef65 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    reg Antwerp Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #16 Stef65, May 22, 2016
  17. Stef65

Stef65 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    reg Antwerp Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #17 Stef65, May 22, 2016
    Are you sure about this ? I'm almost sure mine are factory mounted. (Mondial-t 1990/01)

18. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Yes, I'm sure.
    They first came with the "Carozzeria Scaglietti Program" at the End of 1998, available to order from 03/1999 on.
    Only the 288GTO , the F40 and the 348 GT Competitione (Competition cars) have had them before that.
    That fact does NOT mean, that it was impossible to get them from the factory. We all know, that the factory has done (and still does) ANYTHING for money - if it's enough of it.

19. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    IMHO the side badging adds nothing to look of the car.

20. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ditto.

21. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    How does the refrigerator look with magnetic shields? Can we see a picture, please!

Cheers, jamtans

22. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    Personally, my thoughts are that it's entirely down to your own preference .

If you want to fit them it's fine , or if you want to leave them off its also fine !!!

I do love a good debate though ..... :-}

23. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    At first I was not a fan of the shields; but they were allready on the car when I got it.
    They grew on me and now I can't live without them anymore. ;)

Originality doesn't interest me that much. Don't want a 100points trailer queen.

24. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    My personal opinion is that it fits only on particular colors. I am so unlucky that it fits mine :) it's up to you really. One likes a red Mondial and others blue with or without batch. I go for snow white and tricky yellow, but Grigio I fell in love with. Perhaps if the green T comes around for sale again I will fall in love again, but then without badges.

Alden had a good suggestion, buy the cheap ones first and see if you like it.

25. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Thanks for all of your opinions. I think I'll decide on whether or not to fit the side shields once I see the repainted car. But at least I'm ok now with the idea of having the thicker shields.

I'll post a photo when the paint job is done. The car is close to being ready for paint but the guys at the carrozeria work on the car only when they haven't got much else to do. It works out cheaper that way but now I'm getting impatient.

My other issue is the colour; Azzurro Metallic 502/c. Its actually the lightest blue for that model year. It could look really great but it seems to be a rare colour and I've never actually seen a Mondial in that blue. Does anyone out there have an Azzurro Metallic Mondial? Given the choice would you paint it that colour again?

Thanks.

Mauro