Window Motor Repair | FerrariChat

Window Motor Repair

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by NeedSpace, May 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    #1 NeedSpace, May 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My drivers window doesn't go up. After some diagnosing, I determined it was the motor (not fuse or switch). I took it apart and was able to pull out the motor fairly easily. I left most of the window cables in the car, however, given previous posts I feel this was REALLY a bad move not to leave it alone, but I'll cross that path when I get the motor fixed. The wires were incredibly tight so I suspect this wasn't repaired properly by the PO.

The motor wouldn't budge, not by hand or with 12 volts. Finally, with pliers, I got it to move and now it runs (slowly) with 12 volts in both directions. Yay...sort of. I feel it is just a matter of time before it happens again. Therefore, I suspect I should clean out the motor. I haven't repaired an electric motor since my slot car repairs in the late 70s, so I am curious how this will go.

I review this post and it doesn't look too hard. Wish me luck! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/96564-mondial-window-motors.html#post139427289

Here's a pic of the offending motor.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    #2 NeedSpace, May 24, 2016
    All done. That was pretty easy and it is working nicely now. You can see that there was some corrosion on the inside. Also, the magnets had some crud on them. The biggest offender was the shaft had some corrosion. I sanded the corrosion, cleaned everything, and added some silicon lube to the shaft. Spins like a charm now.

Looking forward to getting it back in the car and seeing my window go up!

3. Brewman

Brewman Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2012
    NC Mountains @ Boone
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Looks like a nice table under the cardboard. Wife must not be home.

4. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    #4 NeedSpace, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    :) No, no wife in my house...Just me and my son. Although when she was around, she was very understanding. I even used the dishwasher to clean some of my car parts.

BTW, this post was just put up. It is for the 308 but really looks similar.
    Power Window Service, Ferrari 308

I'll be using this (hopefully tonite) when putting the window mechanism back together.

5. Formula_1

Formula_1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2016
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Ruud
    Did the wife eventually asked for a divorce though?

6. Formula_1

Formula_1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2016
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Ruud
    Did the wife eventually asked for a divorce though?

7. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    #7 NeedSpace, Jun 11, 2016
    I finally got my window working. It took longer than expected. The path the PO had for the window wires was incorrect, the path that I found on the internet in the diagram below (1st pic) also didn't work. It wasn't until I took apart the passenger door that I figured it out. The 2nd pic shows the path I had in the passenger window and what ultimately worked.

You will also note, the motor assembly must have the motor on the bottom, not the top like the original diagram. If you put the motor assembly with the motor on top like diagram, the window hits the motor.

I mostly followed Journiacois posting on installing the window. http://www.birdman308.com/service/windowservice/index.html This helped tremendously. Here are additional suggestions not in his post that helped me...

1) I couldn't figure out how many times to wrap the wire..wrap it all the way around until almost all of it is taken up, just like Journaiacois did. I did it so the wires both wrapped about the same amount. You can twist the gear to get it to fit exactly or just raise or lower the window.

2) I liked the idea of the zip tie. I would recommend putting 2 zipties, one for the top wire one for the bottom. Cut one ziptie at a time and keep the wire taut and wrap around spools. See 3rd pic.

3) the wire doesn't have a lot of slack, so to get the wire on, I tried a few options but finally was able to get the wires on by having only the 1 top bolt screwed in a little. Then I twisted the motor assembly toward the rear of the car to give more slack. This allowed me to put the wires on the spools. Then, using the motor assembly as leverage, I twisted the motor assembly forward to get the other 2 screws through the holes and bolt it on.. See last 4th pic for reference.

And now my window finally goes up and down (however slowly)!