Audible Guages, calling all Electrical Guru's | FerrariChat

Audible Guages, calling all Electrical Guru's

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Bell Bloke, May 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Folks, I've been meaning to add some guage alarms to Kato for a while now given that the guages can be missed in the event of a problem.
    Now please forgive me but I am old school when it comes to electrics, so here goes.
    1. Oil pressure low buzzer
    2. Water temp high buzzer
    3. Brake fluid low buzzer.
    OK, so would it be possible for someone here to create a circuit that would connect directly to the voltage feed in the back of the guages that could be adjusted for a voltage high or low scenario and would sound a buzzer accordingly.?
    All the best Bell
    There you go, short and sweet :)

2. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    #2 braq, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
    Excellent,

would you be willing to establish the "good" levels with a voltmeter first?

This here is pretty much what you describe for the low voltage (oil pressure down),
    Battery Low Voltage Warning w Buzzer Adjustable Lithium NiMH NiCd ion Phosphate | eBay

This appears to be adjustable for high or low, just need a piezo buzzer.

5 x DC 3 24V Black Piezo Electronic Tone Buzzer Alarm Continuous Beep DB | eBay

Don't remember from the top of my head, but is the brake fluid low going to the LED board in the center console? If so, just a relay with a buzzer will do.

A final note, apart from their original mission to alert you about whatever they are supposed to sense, especially over time, they also have a tendency to come on with an alarm although everything is in fine order.

If an alarm sounds it actually means up to 4 things:
    a) the pattern actually has been rightfully sensed (i.e. oil pressure low)
    b) the sensor itself failed
    c) the wiring failed
    d) the contacts (connectors) failed

Even though it is counter intuitive, I usually run sensing circuits with an on-off switch, so they can be turned off if identified as faulty for the rest of the trip,

cheers

braq

3. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Braq, excellent stuff but I kind of fancy getting a circuit from someone here and then testing it and doing a simple install video for others here.
    An alarm sounding when the ignition is keyed ie no oil pressure would be a good thing I think....but as you say it could be turned off or even a time delay circuit from when the ignition is first turned on.
    However that li-po low warning indicator is a great place to start. :)
    Cheers Bell

4. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    This is the one I wanted to post (instead of the piezo buzzers)

DC Digital LED Voltmeter 0 20V Limit Alarm 2 3 Wires Universal Voltage 12V 24V | eBay

You get to choose between high or low voltage alarm.

Here are the steps:

Get yourself a potentiometer (2K Ohm )

Connect + and minus to the constant resistance of the pot, wire the output (slider) to the gauge, set to "alarm" level(turn the pot toward the + side until the gauge reads what you consider the alarm level), read out voltage vs. ground.

As a result you should have values for high water temp (100C) and a voltage (i.e. 10V)

Next step is to set those voltages (i.e. the 10V high temp) with the pot and program the board, then some vibration safe install

cheers

braq

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I know someone on my Jag forum who builds an excellent, well thought out kit for our Jags that converts the idiot temp gauge to a real gauge and includes a high temp alarm. I sent him an email to see if he is interested in putting together a kit for our cars with other alarms built in for water and such.

I will let you know what he says.
    Alden

6. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Oh that would be excellent!

7. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida