Mondial convertible top roof latch | FerrariChat

Mondial convertible top roof latch

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mfoncerrada, Jun 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mfoncerrada

Mfoncerrada Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    #1 Mfoncerrada, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well it's been a couple years since I had my Mondial but finally moved it up to Monterey and now fixing a whole bunch of small items...starting with a problem I've had for years:

The PO of my 84 Mondial replaced the convertible top latches with a different brand (perhaps Alfa as they sure look like what I had in a 91 Spider). As a result my convertible top is extremely difficult to put up. Buying replacements for about $500 each is not what I want to do if I can help it.

1. Can anyone verify from the pictures that these are indeed not the latches that an 84 should have? The original PN was 61252000 and was superseded by PN 61758500. I know it's not the 617 number as it doesn't have an adjustment screw...but could it possibly be the 61252000? I can't find a picture anywhere.

2. The distance between the center of the screw mounting hole and the lip on latch is 6 CM (about 2 3/8 inches) - arrows in pictures. Can anyone tell me what their latch distance is? I may try to find or engineer a suitable replacement.

Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I bet they are Alfa parts.

3. Mfoncerrada

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    I agree Ron. I had a 91 Spider and I seem to remember them being identical but it's one of those things one uses hundreds of times without looking carefully at them...and it's been years.

Thank you spicedriver.... It's rather difficult to see from the drawing but they could possibly be PN 61252000...

I' sure someone with an 83 or early 84 will say for sure.

4. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    My 1985 euro which I believe is actually a 1984. Had these same latches. Top was awful to latch. Even with two people. Spent the money to get the adjustable Ferrari latches and it is still awful to latch. Even with two people.

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  6. Mfoncerrada

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    #7 Mfoncerrada, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    Thank you Fred! Reinforces my reluctance to spend the money on new Ferrari latches...

Ron produces the pieces that break on the newer style roof latch. They don't fit what I have.

7. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    #8 srephwed, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just finished repairing the second Ferrari latch. This time however I made it about 1/4 inch longer. This should help tremendously because once you get one latched it is a piece of cake. Hope this helps.

8. felkind

felkind Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Nashua, NH
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Definitely not an 84 latch. I replaced mine when they broke with original type from a third party. Work like the originals - difficult at best...

9. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Put my altered latch on this evening. I have to admit that my wife has been telling me for 42 years that if something was 1/4 inch longer it could make all the difference in the world.

She was right!

10. Mfoncerrada

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    Glad you have a smart wife...you should have listened log ago.

How did you modify? make latch longer or shortened the arm? pic?

Cheers

11. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    See post number 8. You will see the broken part next to my new part. What I made is not u shaped but two individual links with a bushing in between. You can see that what I made is slightly longer from hole to hole

12. Mfoncerrada

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    That's what threw me off. I expected that the "arm" should be shorter not longer!!!

I guess it depends on what is difficult about latching the top.
    1. The first part is to hook the top to the the windshield frame - that would become easier with the longer arm....but not a big problem for me.
    2. The second part is snapping the hook back and in that case the longer arm would seem to make it even more difficult to do. i.e. by increasing the length of the arm you are making the top and windshield frame end up closer to each other...

lot's of people talk about it being difficult to put the top up but not sure if the difficulty is in hooking the windshield or doing the final close...my problem is the later so I believe I need a smaller arm... thoughts anyone?