Driving my Mondial 1100+ miles to FCA 2016 national meet in Ohio | FerrariChat

Driving my Mondial 1100+ miles to FCA 2016 national meet in Ohio

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by M. Brandon Motorcars, Jun 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    #1 M. Brandon Motorcars, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    As I've posted in another thread, I've decided to drive from Houston to Columbus for the FCA national meet next week. I've decided that I'm going to take my 84 Mondial QV Euro coupe. I'm judging at the Concours on Sunday, so I have to be there no later than Saturday night. I'm going to leave Thursday, to give myself 3 days to do a 2 day drive.

I've put almost 1000km on the car (hey, the odo is in KM), and while I haven't taken an out of town trip in the car yet, I've done a lot of sorting. The major service was done right before I bought the car. I've fixed the car running on one bank by replacing the plugs, extenders, and wires. A/C system was changed to R134a (new compressor, dryer, hoses, etc.), and Ron Frohock's A/C vent mod installed. Lots of little fiddling around with electrical stuff: windows, switches, etc. New tires all around (Michelin PSS on 17" 348 wheels). And, finally, I took the original fusebox out and cleaned everything with contact cleaner.

Gas gauge doesn't work right, of course, and I've already run out of gas because the gauge showed 1/4 tank remaining but the tank was empty. This isn't my first Ferrari from this era, so I know they jump around a lot, but I haven't had one just stick like this. And, yes, I've run a tank of fuel cleaner through.

So, my question for the Mondial board is: am I nuts? Remember, my fusebox is original, and while everything works, I do notice that it does get hot to the touch after driving for a while (and things like the windows really slow down, probably because of the increased resistance). I was planning on keeping the plastic cover off of the fusebox, to allow as much air to circulate as possible, unless it rains of course.

Otherwise, putting aside the fact that this is a 32-year-old Italian car, and old parts can just fail, I don't know what else I need to worry about. I'll bring tools, a tire inflator bottle, hose tape, the usual old car road kit. I'll also bring some extra relays and fuses. I'll use a Bluetooth speaker for tunes and audiobooks. I'm looking to have an adventure, write about my trip, and hopefully meet some other national meet-bound travelers along the way. I sell the cars from this era, and I figure if I talk the talk, I need to walk the walk. :)

2. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    AAA is worth it's weight in gold. Had my wife's BMW hauled 104 miles. cost 16 dollars. Had her Corvette hauled 71 miles cost nothing. Had her Jeep hauled 27 miles cost nothing. Notice my Ferrari has never been hauled. Never let me sit. Don't worry and enjoy your trip. I sometimes feel the cars that are run are less trouble than the ones left idle. You sound like me in a way. I bought my car to wear it out and start all over again. Ferrari are made to be enjoyed not stored

3. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Good advice. And, yes, I have AMEX Platinum roadside assistance. I figure, worst case, if the car breaks down, I'll have it towed to the next major city and either rent a car to continue the trip, or jump on a plane.

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    That seems like a nice trip! I think it is a good idea to leave the cover from the fusebox off. I do this as well when I am in Italy where it is usually bloody hot. The only thing I would do is to replace all the relays if you haven't already. On my first long trip some got sticky and gave me a headache to get my pods up. Try to get something in Italy in the weekend.. forget it.. All car shops are closed for 2 days.

Enjoy and have a safe trip! looking forward to your writings and pics.

5. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Michael,
    This sounds like fun!
    The only thing that I would add is to be sure that all of your fluids are where they should be, but if you did your major recently they should be all set.

I would like to do this someday. I'd bet that you will be reporting that your car will seem to run better after some excercise.

Cant wait to live vicariously through you. Keep posting!

6. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    When I purchased my Mondial, my wife and I drove it from central Florida home to northeastern Pennsylvania. 1300 miles total. No issues. A well maintained car should not have issues for such a drive. After all, that is what they are for, to drive! 😜

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Michael,

You figure out your route to Columbus?

Enjoy the trip!

Jeff

8. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    My car is not a Mondial - it's an '88 328 - but I commonly take 1,000 mile trips in mine. You should have a grand time!

9. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    The Mondial has been leaking brake fluid. I put it on the lift tonight to finally figure out what was going on. Turns out it's the clutch slave cylinder, apparently a common issue with these cars. I have a slave cylinder coming in tomorrow, and will have it installed.

I'm still worried about the fuse box. I'm thinking of doing the bypass wiring of the fuel pump relay and fuse, to get it separate from the fusebox. Is that worth it?

10. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    The Interstates take me through Texarkana, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, Lexington, Cincinnati, and then Columbus. But I'm willing to modify the route to meet up with others driving to Columbus.

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I put a SRI fusebox upgrade in the 3.2 Coupe. Made a night and day difference for drivability, reliability, and that's just for starters (well, and that too). ;)

12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    There will be a rendezvous point in Indy. You already know Greg McKibben in Chicago, Smitty and/or Joe Adams in Indy?

There may be groups in the more southern route but I am not aware of them.

Jeff

13. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What's a SRI fuse box?

14. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Scuderia Rampante, a/k/a Dave Helms. I have an 88 1/2 Mondial and I bought the other guy's fuse board (not the SRI board). They say confession is good for the soul, so here goes ... The board I bought is a complete POS. It never worked properly, was replaced for "free", and that one didn't work either. I had to modify a brand-new $1,000 fuse board to get it to work!! If I had known about SRI, I would have bought their's. And one day I may need to buy an SRI board anyway.

15. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1. SRI box is the way to go.

16. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Short term fix if fuse-box is running hot, put a small fan on it!? Like from a PC, though you need one that is 12v. Have the SRI upgrade on mine too.

17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    My understanding is the fuel pump and A/C were the biggest issues on The board. My fuel pump has been taken off and a/c is inop. Set up this way I've driven my 87 all over the country with the original board. I e seen a testarossa board go bad due to a/c on a road trip. We fixed it side of the road.

18. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Dirk, what do you mean the fuel pump has been taken off? Do you mean you circumvented the fuse board when you wired it up (or, essentially, rewired it)?
    BTW: what part of AZ do you live in? I'm contemplating an early winter Route 66 drive ...
    PS: how's the kid???

19. drfink

drfink Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    Roanoke VA
    Full Name:
    Dean Fink
    Scuderia Rampantes' solution to our fuse panel. $1500 - $2000 depending on the model car and if you get the ”The Source®“ option also

20. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Clutch slave cylinder has not arrived yet (was supposed to be here yesterday). Hopefully it will be here today. I'm starting to get a little worried that I won't have the Mondial ready for the trip. But, hopefully, everything will work out...

21. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Clutch slave cylinder has been installed and bled. Fusebox has all new relays and fuses, and the fuel pump relay/fuse circuit has been removed from the fusebox. A/C was recharged. I drove the car about 120KM today around town, and in traffic, the temp started creeping a little above the 1/2 way mark (90C). Then again, the ambient temp here in Houston today was mid to high 90s (F), with "feels like" numbers around 105F. So, tonight, I installed the foam piece above the radiator, which was missing. Hopefully that will help temps.

The car is ready to go. I'm all packed. I'll leave tomorrow morning. I'll be posting my updates here and on my Facebook page.

22. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Enjoy the adventure, I am sure both you and the Mondial will settle into a seamless team on the road..
    Sounds Like a great trip. :)
    R.

23. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Enjoy and be safe! looking forward to the updates.

24. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Good travels to you!

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    after getting my car sorted from previous owners/storage - I've put over 10K miles on it - only further issue was a bad alternator - but I got warning signs of this with the light blinking...

overall - much more reliable then I was scared into thinking before ownership!

Have a great time!