Windscreen Washer Bottle Assembly Renovation | FerrariChat

Windscreen Washer Bottle Assembly Renovation

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MaseratiMike, Jun 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 MaseratiMike, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm just in the process to sorting out a few little bits on my 1985 Mondial QV, thought I would share some photos where I am trying to put right a DIY disaster done by the previous Swiss owner of my car.

The windscreen washer bottle and assembly such as pump, level sensor, bracket were far from perfect....

Previous owner didn't bother replacing the washer pump when it failed, so took it out and filled the motor hole in on the bottom of the tank. Then drilled a hole in the tank near the top, then put a hose through to the bottom and stuck an inline generic pump in place. Also I noticed the sensor was completely corroded, missing the float and rod. The tank metal frame bracket which holds it to the car was also badly rusted, where the tank has been leaking and detached from the chassis.

So I bought a donor car washer tank from eurospares, with a pump. Also a brand new float sensor and a new tank bracket from Ferrari.

After some cleaning of the donor tank, the assembly looks a lot better than before. Ready to be refitted back.

Strangely though the washer light still comes on, on the centre console warning light array by the gear shifter. The car had a brand new fuse board and some rewiring done before I bought it, so not sure if it's a wiring issue somewhere as I know the sensor is branch new... another little job to do at some point.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Try disconnecting the battery and let it sit for a few minutes or do a "hard reset" where you remove both of the terminals from the battery and touch them together for 10 seconds, reconnect and your fault detection systems will be reset to factory settings.

Did you disconnect the battery before working on the assembly? Good advice when doing any work on the car.
    Alden

3. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Alden for the advice, I will give it a try later in the week.

No I didn't disconnect the battery, but had the ignition off. Yes I will in future disconnect the battery,

I will report back later just the week if the reset worked.

4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #4 afterburner, Jun 13, 2016
    Below is how it needs to be wired at the sensor end; purely 12V, no electronics involved. If you disconnect the sensor, the light needs to be out. If not, there is a problem upstream.

5. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great diagram and keeps it simple - thank you. I disconnected everything on the washer motor and level sensor end - the light still stays on on the centre console. Plus I did the reverse i.e. the washer bottle sensor upside down so it closes the circuit and motor plugged in.

I also disconnected the battery and put both terminal leads together for 10seconds, to perform a reset and no joy.

So I would assume there is a wiring fault further up the chain.

However it would not surprise me as the previous owner had a replacement upgraded fuse box fitted and there is evidence of a lot of wiring being modified....

My next test is to work out which of the several wires from the 3 plugs, which go into the centre console is the feed to the sensor and trace back...

6. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #6 afterburner, Jun 15, 2016
    You are welcome.

So the problem is upstream.

I have never heard of that "trick" - resetting what exactly? That light is a simple 12V circuit...

Below how the electric board situation looks: In U3, out K7; test to make sure that happens correctly and no ground is on that line.

Original mostly works best...

Below to the best of my knowledge what wire is feeding what at the display.

Drewbdo likes this.
  7. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    The "hard reset" works on a lot of newer cars because it resets most of the sensors and computers to original settings. Wipes out the memory, if you will.

The fact that it doesn't work on this simple circuit doesn't mean you shouldn't try it when you have strange electrical things happening in any car, it is simple to do and sometimes solves problems by resetting the systems.

Also, disconnecting the battery before ANY service, is good advice on any car, new or old, but especially newer cars with lots of computers.

Our Mondials are on the cusp of computerization of vehicles, older ones have none or a few simple primitive modules and can be considered analog by most standards, newer ones have more monitors and processors for stuff like electronic suspension, engine monitoring, etc.

My newer Jaguar has something like 9 computers on board that are each more powerful processors than the NASA Apollo era stuff we went to the moon and back with , I am very careful with the electrical system on that car.
    Alden

8. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    **Solved**

AFTERBURNER - Using your very useful diagrams I was able to trace the fault and confirmed some of the following in the process :-

(1) Orange wire on pin 2 of the bottom red plug from the centre console unit, is the corresponding feed to the terminal where the washer bottle float switch plugs into

(2) Using a multimeter the wiring was confirmed to have no break from the plug end of the washer bottle float switch plug lead to pin 2 on the console connector

(3) From one of the fuse box plug terminals, where the same orange wire goes into, to the same washer bottle float switch plug end = Wiring is fine. Also from fuse box to centre console = Wiring is fine

(4) Doing a test from the centre console terminal 2 to the other end of the float switch terminal, with one end of the sensor switch plugged in to loom (i.e. float sensor switch is in series) = Circuit is closed when float switch is full/adequate liquid level detected. When bottle is empty the switch is open

(5) So with the other ground (Negative) end of the washer bottle float switch, wired directly to the car chassis (bypassing) final end of the wiring loom = Bingo.

Conclusion between the final part of the circuit from the washer bottle float switch to negative ground of the chassis= there is a break in the wire somewhere .

Facts I clarified too=

(1) Unplugging the washer bottle sensor from the loom, opens the circuit permanently and the centre console light will always be on
    (2) The centre console light will only turn off when the circuit is closed i.e. float switch is closed when adequate liquid level is present
    (3) No fancy electronics involved for the washer bottle liquid level, just basic on/off switch and indicator lamp.

Thanks for all the help AFTERBURNER & ALDEN. Final warning light to sort out is the brake warning light, on my other thread....

---
    I also have a fully restored 1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Coupe (V8, 5.3ltr 324 cubic inch) and the electrics are so easy to work on, i.e. no complex electronics.

Meanwhile my other car is a 2010 Maserati Gran Cabrio = That is seriously packed with electronics, sensors and gadgets everywhere. Including electronic suspension and electronic exhaust gate valves... That would be something would need a laptop to diagnose/fix/repair.

It's funny seeing the vast differences in electrical/electronic usage between my Oldsmobile, Ferrari & Maserati....

9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Great Mike good to hear - you are right, the washer bottle breaks the ground to activate the light. Mine was also permanently on when I got the car. It was the ground wire between the sensor and the motor that had corroded off...

10. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Note the pump is held in with a "push nut" in the interior of the tank, which is just a fancy name for a washer. This push nut will corrode causing your pump to leak or fall out. Problem is the push nut is unobtainable. So you might need to epoxy the pump into the tank. I tried using silicone of various types but it does not stick to the plastic tank. I think you need to use that "plastic repair" epoxy.

11. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #11 MaseratiMike, Jun 25, 2016
  12. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Nice job, Mike,,,,,

Hey, what are you going to do with Old bottle.....?

I need one for my Cheep Ferrari.

Edwardo

13. Brian Marks

Brian Marks Rookie

Feb 24, 2018
    Cincinnati, OH
    Full Name:
    BMTopSpeed
    Where did you source the WASHER FLUID LEVEL SENSOR ?? I can't seem to find this part anywhere and mine too was rusted away....

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.