Mondial QV engine transplantation | FerrariChat

Mondial QV engine transplantation

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Jun 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #1 stekkefun4, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So, I have this RHD Mondial QV with a rebuilt 8 engine that I am going to transplant to a LHD Mondial QV that currently has no engine, but which is in great condition and better than the RHD Mondial.

I ordered the TyreON TSC3000 scissor bridge and after a horrible delivery of it by the vendor, I managed to get in inside my garage on a crate. First step was to get this very unhandy and heavy thing off the crate (bridge weighs 550 kg). I managed to do this by myself with the help of my brains and an engine lift. Here are some pics.

Next thing is to get both cars out of storage and give a call to some friends for some help :). Anyhow, I'll keep you all posted on the progress.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    I've been looking at/lusting for a TyreOn lift as well. My problem is I have a low ceiling above. When your mondial is at maximum lift, could you at some point measure how far off the floor the roof is? I have 2m 25cm max. Any review of how well it works would also be appreciated.

Thanks

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    My ceiling is at 2m40, the max lifting height of 1m should be sufficient to drop the engine with sub frame. The cars are coming by the end of next week, I'm currently in the preparation phase.

4. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #4 stekkefun4, Jun 14, 2016
  5. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    That's seriously cool �� and so small too!

6. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    A low clearance two post lift may have been a better route. Sorry. They have the cable assemblies in a channel on the floor so you have a bump to go over but then you have four single lift points just like a regular two post. I think you need an 8 or 9 foot ceiling and may not be able to raise to full height but better than rolling on the ground. Good luck.

7. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Yeah, I have been thinking about that, but my ceiling is too low (about 7,6 foot).

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Neat!

Make a box that has equal height as the Mondial. Put it on the lift. (with rubber blocks) an see if it won't be crushed by the ceiling, next challenge is to lower it as it will go up to unlock. I have a similar lift and I have 5cm left when it unlocks.

9. caterus

caterus Karting

Dec 24, 2010
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I installed a second hand two post lift a few years ago and it has been invaluable for a full engine out service and general maintenance. Best garage investment I have ever made. My garage has 8'6" or 260 cms usable height which is just adequate for moving around easily under the car on an old office chair. I wouldn't recommend getting a two post lift with much less height than this but if you can fit one they make life so much easier.

10. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida

I am installing a MaxJax portable two post lift, goes about 44" and needs minimum ceiling height. Best part is you can move it to the side of the garage when out of use, very nice and rated for 6000 lbs.

I put together a group buy for Silver subscribers last month, check it out, I may still be able to get you the deal.

MaxJax Portable Car Lift - Home Garage Lift - Dannmar - MaxJax USA

Videos: Videos
    Alden

11. caterus

caterus Karting

Dec 24, 2010
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The MaxJax looks a great piece of kit and I considered it seriously when deciding what I should buy. There is a good comparison by a user of the MaxJax versus a mid-rise lift on the MaxJax website. There is now a UK distributor and I understand it is selling well into Europe because of the current low value of the UK £. However, when I purchased my two post lift off ebay it cost 40% of the current UK price of MaxJax. My system is older technology and is electro-mechanical rather than hydraulic but all parts are still available, its lift range is higher (if the ceiling allows) and it has been totally reliable. It's not as convenient as a MaxJax and takes up more space but it works well and is now an essential tool in my garage.

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    MaxJax goes to 44", 1.12 meters, you can go higher than that?
    Alden

13. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    #13 StuR, Jun 20, 2016
    Wish I'd had that facility.... Though the same can be achieved in a number of ways: we did have better safety than it looked!

Subsequently made the trolley stands for the chassis as per factory, they really help move the car around whilst the subframe and engine is out.

14. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    whow! and you were able to move the entire subframe and engine out of the car like this? Amazing, but doesn't look that safe if you ask me.

15. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #15 stekkefun4, Jun 24, 2016
    First attempt to raise the car with the bridge: unsuccessful, the vendor told me I should change some settings to the lifting motor to raise the power of the lift ...

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I think it is something else ;) your wall socket wires are 1.5 square (1,5 kwadraats) and you need 2.5 square (2,5 kwadraats) wire for a 3000 watts machine (it peaks). Make at least 30amp fuse in the fuse box of your office and wire it up with 2.5 square to the garage.

I needed to rewire the stuff here also and these fuses are not meant for houses so you cannot just buy them at a toolshop (at least not in NL).

17. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I'm not an electrical engineer, but I would think that the current fuse would just blow if it couldn't pull 3000 watts. So I'll have to find me an electrician who can do that.

18. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    1,5 Square is for the lights, 2,5 is for the normal elec sockets, so that should be enough. 3000 watts is less than the 20A x 230V, so the electrics should be fine.

19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    A 3000 watt motor using 230 volts is going to need 13 amps to run it plus a lot more for the starting load.
    I take it that this motor is driving a hydraulic pump ? So it will have some form of unloader on the pump until it gets up to its working speed- other wise you are trying to start it against hydraulic pressure.
    The 1.5 mm wiring will give about 14 amps but it is only for lighting circuits. The 2.5mm cable is rated about 16 amps on a single and 32 on a ring main . Normally sockets have 2.5mm cables have a 32 amp fuse on a ring main.

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Awesome setup!!!

21. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    The supplier of the bridge told me to raise the loading capacity by turning a screw inside a hole. Strange they say this, because such a bridge should handle at least 1500kg as a standard without having to change some settings to give more power.

Yes, the motor drives a hydraulic pump.

22. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #22 stekkefun4, Jun 26, 2016
  23. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #23 stekkefun4, Jun 27, 2016
  24. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi StuR.....I like it!!!....and it looks safe enough to me :)

25. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey Stekkefun, you should keep the other car and convert it to electric, it would be quite a curiosity and you'd probably get 400bhp 400 lbs of torque at 0.0 rpm!
    Also it's the future, brothers and sister's!!
    You heard it here first, regards Bell