Mondial Clutch Bleed nipple | FerrariChat

Mondial Clutch Bleed nipple

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by kitreid, Jun 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Hello all, so good to finally get back on this great sight....I was hoping if someone could help me locate the clutch bleed nipple. I got in the car this morning, clutch peddle went right to the floor....I check the master and the reservoir was completely empty....I filled it, pumped the peddle, and it did firm up....however spongy and can't get into gear. Fells like it full of air?

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    1st that should not happen. Sounds like you got a bigger problem. Iirc On the circa 1984 qv's it was on the clutch slave right by the bellhouse about 10 o clock when you look at the bellhouse with the drivers fenderliner out. It has been many years.

3. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    thanks....what would the bigger problem be?....

4. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    There might be a leak somewhere and that should be fixed first before driving. A common problem is a leaking clutch slave cylinder.

5. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    yeah....it must be. I'm an amateur with mechanics, but I tend to agree....it's gotta go somewhere right? seems dry around the master. I'm still however having trouble locating the slave....do I need to lift the car? just can't see it....

6. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #6 Alden, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Chedk out this post with clutch videos:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/440601-detailed-clutch-fit-video.html

In the pic below you can see the arrow to the black boot of the actuator rod that drops down from the clutch cylinder, and a few other parts to help you find it, this is viewed thru the left rear wheel well with the wheel and liner removed.

So, yes, it is pretty far up there, so you are going to have to get it on a lift or at least jack the rear wheels to be able to see it.
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    OK well you need to take off the driver side wheel, then take out the wheel well liner, and all will be revealed. Sort of. Because access to the nipple is almost impossible anyway.

However don't think it's just a simple matter of opening the bleed nipple while someone depresses the pedal. Oh no, Ferrari makes it difficult just because it's Ferrari. If you try that you will go through 2 bottles of fluid with no firm pedal. You need a bleed gizmo that goes into a little bottle of fluid, with a one way valve. But there is no easy place to put the bottle within reach of the tube. So you need to improvise something. Then you need to operate the clutch pedal by hand. Why? Because you have to pull it fully back each time by hand otherwise it won't bleed correctly.

Before you do this you will want to replace the slave cylinder. Why not just the seals you ask? Because Ferrari does not sell just the seals. You can get some fake seals from Guido that will work. But that does not include the bellows which will be shot. And if you don't replace the bellows all kinds of dirt will get into your cylinder and we will be having this discussion again in 18 months.

You can get a fake cylinder from the Lancia (Thema I believe) but it will not have the correct pushrod. So you will need to swap out the pushrods.

And while you have the whole thing dry you may as well do the master cylinder. Don't get me started on that.

8. ltoth

ltoth Rookie

Nov 20, 2008
    heidelberg,ont.
    Full Name:
    leslie toth
    Mine is an 87 cabriolet and to get to the bleed nipple you have to remove the cover located behind the passenger seats, in addition of course to the rear wheel and the wheel well liner. I also removed the fan, and I had no problem bleeding the clutch. I had a glass jar and foot or so long plastic tube between tha jar and the bleeding nipple. it is a bit more of a pain than on my other cars but it is still doable. fortunately I had no slave or master cylinder issues so far: a small miracle as the previous owner(s) never changed the clutch or brake fluid: it was blake ink.

9. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Thank you ....it looks like a tow truck to the mechanic for me.....it's fantastic help, however I don't wanna do more damage. But where would the fluid have gone? something must be broken? I can't see evidence of leakage...has it evaporated?

10. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    That's very kind mate, thank you

11. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Thank you all for your help on this...
    As it turned out, just bleed it from the master cylinda...worked a treat!....clutch feels better than ever. Go figure..

12. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    The reservoir was empty so the air entered the system there, so bleeding the master cylinder makes sense. But the main question is still valid: why was the reservoir empty and where did the fluid go? For safety reasons you have to find out.

13. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Yes agreed completely, I have to find out where it went....I was going to also ask, what kind of risk does it present? is it flammable?

14. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Managed to get hold of the cars mechanic today, he has reassured me that there is no chance of fire.....will be fine to drive to them to locate the leak....which is still a mystery. No leak on the ground, and no leak under the dash....thanks again all, this is a brilliant site. I'll keep you all posted on the location of the leak :)

15. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    #15 kitreid, Jun 21, 2016
  16. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #16 Alden, Jun 22, 2016
  17. redlightrich

redlightrich Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    north New Jersey USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Nice...Looks like 360 wheels. I am not sure if you car is anything like mine ( I have a 89T) and the clutch feed is part of the brake master cylinder reservoir. The clutch feed is purposely high in the container, to preserve brakes if the clutch hydraulics fail.

Perhaps your brakes have worn to the point that the fluid dropped below the clutch feed point and the MC had drawn some air.

I just went thru my system recently and this is fresh in my mind. Hopefully, it is that simple.

Please note, I am not familiar with your model year, so I only offer this as a potential idea. Ask someone to lay eyes on it. If my theory is indeed the issue, then check your brake pads for thickness, and top up the fluid and bleed ( or maybe you already finished with this).

The clutch system is very simple so a leak should be easy to find, either feed line, MC, lines from MC to Slave or the Slave itself. A fluid leak should be clearly evident even if it all dripped off.

Let us know what you find for the sake of others in the future

Good luck

Rich

18. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Yeah, in my opinion, its what they needed....bigger wheels

19. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Kitreid, I've not read this entire thread, so sorry if it's already been stated. The first place to look for fluid loss is weeping or damaged pipes to the slave or master cylinder. Next most obvious point of failure is the slave cylinder in the engine bay itself, any leak here would be hard to detect as a little fluid loss quickly falls to the road.
    Next is the master cylinder, when this leaks the fluid normally ends up on either your shoes or in the footwell carpet. Check the drivers side footwell carpet for an oily residue, if it is oily then there is your problem.
    Good luck hunting, regards Bell

20. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    awesome mate, thank you

21. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Fantastic...it's a bloody ripper. The wheels are just what the Mondial needed I reackon

22. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Thank you all for your replies. Turned out my Master was leaking under the dash, and so was my slave!....all good, and repaired now. Had a run of bad luck as last week a bank shut down while driving....was just a distributor cap which was great news ( still expensive ) but great news.....picked it up this morning and drove home ( 40km ) it has never ran so well......clutch feels fantastic, and I swear it sounds better....