Reverse lock out? | FerrariChat

Reverse lock out?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Alden, Jun 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #1 Alden, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am going to teach my Wife to drive the Mondial and I would like be able to lock out reverse, at least temporarily, until she gets used to the shift pattern.

The OEM lock out tab on the bottom of my shift gate is a bit worn and you CAN go from 1st to reverse without much effort, I guess I could build the tab back to OEM specs and see how it works then.

Anyone have any ideas short of jamming a Sharpie (black marker for non USA folks) into the slot or shelling out $160 for the lock-out shift gate sold by Hill, UK?

Don't get me wrong, I think the Hill gate is a great product and looks good, but this would only be a temporary use item until she learns the pattern. Also, the Hill gate doesn't seem to be available now without the 4-5 gear lockout plate and mounting holes, see pic below.

I am inclined to fix the reverse tab and see how that goes first.
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would take the shift gate off, make a pattern using: Perspex, Aluminium or similar sheet.

Then trace and cut out the gearshift pattern, except for reverse.

Once done you can screw the temporary 'guide pattern' over the original shift gate......

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I would do actually the same as Mike, but I would only make the reverse cut off and place it on top of the original using longer screws since it is temp anyway.

4. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Good ideas! Thanks!
    Alden

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Thank God my wife is not interested in driving my cars....