Mondial T gauge cluster | FerrariChat

Mondial T gauge cluster

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by redlightrich, Jun 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redlightrich

redlightrich Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    north New Jersey USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Hello all, in my effort to rehabilitate this neglected horse, I am trying to get the motor running well. The car in question is a 1989 Mondial T 3.4. This set up has dual motronics, and appears to act as 2 four cylinder motors tied to a common crank. Almost everything is redundant in regards to the fuel and ignition system.

I suspect that someone at some point ( car sat for 10+ years) removed the "check engine" bulbs. I don't know for sure, but according to the manual I found on line, there is a check engine bank 1-4, a slow down 1-4, and all the same for 5-8 bank. So there should be 4 bulbs altogether showing the motronic condition.

When I turn on the key, with engine off, no check engine lights illuminate at all. This leads me to believe the bulbs have been removed. I doubt they all burned out. I realize that this is an early fuel injection system, before OBD2, but there should be some diagnostic indicator.

At any rate, this leads me to the question, How do I remove the gauge cluster assembly. I do not see any screws visible and I don't want to tug on anything without knowing what is needed. I really need a full service manual ( which I thought I purchased on flea bay, but it turned out to be some data, but not all).

If anyone can help with this, I offer many thanks. Yes, I did try to search with no luck.

Thank you and Happy Fathers Day!!!!!!

Rich

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #2 Alden, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Start with this:
    The plastic surrounds for the speedo and tach pop off. Easily once you try. Then undo the 4 small slotted head screws on each one. They will pull out and you can disconnect their harness at the connector.

Then more if you need it:

Post 24 & 25 at:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/419886-digital-clock-replacement-2.html

Entire pod:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/233649-mondial-t-intrument-panel-removal.html

Pic below, from Guido, shows the four posts holding the surrounds in place, purple X's. You can usually just pull the surrounds off with your fingers.

Good luck!

Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    Good information Alden. One problem is that the photo is from a pre T car. Rich's car is a T with 2 Motronic 2.5 ECU's. The 2.5's do not show a CEL condition. If I remember correctly, I Googled Motronic 2.5 and was informed that none of the cars with a 2.5 were connected to the CEL. You could get the flashes required for diagnosis by hooking a bulb to pin 2 or pin 11, but I don't recall which. I'll try to located the info and post it here.

4. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    He asked how to take the dash apart that's all the information I was trying to provide

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I seem to remember that as well.

Found it here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/202872-1989-2-5-motronic-mondial-348-folks-do-your-check-engine-lights-appear-when.html

6. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    Thanks Wade! I knew that I saw it somewhere. In fact, my indy, who had not worked on a Motronic 2.5 previously, tore my dash apart before I gave him the schematic and the thread.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Rich,

Welcome! I've done this removal process myself a few times - it's actually one of the more easier things to do!

People here have posted instructions. It's not hard at all. Just a reminder to make sure you label with some tape all the wires - there ends up being so many that you will get them mixed up if you do not properly label them when pulling it apart.

Getting the engine codes is very easy as well and you can get full instructions on how to do that on my348.com. If the bulbs are broken, you can find out for sure when you try to pull the engine codes. They will flash if they are working correctly.

Once you've confirmed that the bulbs are working or replaced , I would pull all the codes and write them down. Clear - drive around and then see if any new codes come up - record those and fix/diagnose issues as necessary.

Cheers

8. redlightrich

redlightrich Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    north New Jersey USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thank you Alden, and thank you everyone. Even though the dash is different than my T, I think the speedo and tach bezel will pull of as described.

However, I am receiving conflicting information regarding the CEL. My copy of the user manual ( from questionable source on flea bay) clearly shows

Check Engine bank 1-4
    Check Engine bank 5-8
    Slow down bank 1-4
    Slow down bank 5-8

That being said, people who have Motronic series 2.5 state there is no CEL

I am not certain if my Motronic is series 2.5 or 2.7..

I need to do more research. If I have 2.5, then I guess I have no CEL to worry about.

I am unable to find anything that appears to be a data link, and my service book shows the use of a "break out box" as the diagnostic tool. For those unfamiliar, a break out box is basically a complex jumper lead series, that plugs in between the motronic harness and the actual motronic box. It has a lead for each wire involved, and allows measurement of sensor input/output as it is actually occurring. Yes this is an archaic method, and OBD2 has made quick work of this, but unfortunately, this is what I have to work with.

I will post my findings as I go along.

I appreciate any and all input

Kind regards

Rich

9. redlightrich

redlightrich Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    north New Jersey USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    After doing more research, it appears that the manual I have covers Motronic 2.5 AND 2.7

I still do not know for certain which version I have, but I do know that my car has catalytic converters, and my car also has the temp sensors that are in the cats, along with a seperate "black box" for each cat sensor....

This is making me think I may have version 2.7.. I will look directly at the Motronic boxes and write down any numbers that I can find. Perhaps this will help me find a absolute answer as to whether or not I should have a CEL

Again, thank you

Rich

10. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
    I am quite sure that 2.7 has two push buttons in the trunk (for reading fault codes from the CELs), while 2.5 does not have any. See the diagram "Engine Ignition - M 2.7", part number 145810 ("Tester push") in the Mondial t Repair Manual parts index. The corresponding diagram for 2.5 does not show push buttons.

11. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    So do I understand that my personal diagnosis on 2.5 vs 2.7 is that the 2.5 had only one throttle position sensor and the 2.7 had two throttle position sensors (one on each throttle body) is not reliable? Cheers

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #12 Wade, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. redlightrich

redlightrich Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    north New Jersey USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thank you all, So it now appears, that according to my new knowledge that I have the Motronic 2.5 as I only have one TPS.

Along with this info, I now believe that my car has no provision for a CEL, which will leave me to guess that everything is OK.

If it runs well, all is well? I see that the owners manual shows a break out box, used to diagnose the system, and in my flea bay purchased CD service manual, there is a flow chart to use to diagnose.

After a 10 year slumber, and 3 months of preparation, including new fuel pumps, timing belt, fuel filters and so on, the motor is starting to run well.

I may change the plugs and wires as a precautionary measure, although, no miss is present at idle. I have not tested it under a load or stressed. That will come.

In the end, I don't need to remove the gauges to gain access to lights ( that are not there)

I would prefer having a CEL.

As a fun note, in the Porsche world, people seem to prefer the early 993 model which has a less finicky CEL. The early 95 and earlier cars use OBD1 ( which is a step up from what I currently have) and it is useful, especially when doing modifications to the motor.

Thank you all for your help

Rich

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Ah! This explains a lot. As you mentioned, you may need to get some computer to plug into your Motronic if you want to have piece of mind.

The engine codes came up for me for Mass Air Flow Sensors. The car still drove okay, but it was not as smooth.

Good Luck!