Two plugged hoses? | FerrariChat

Two plugged hoses?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Pero, Jun 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    #1 Pero, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The plugged hose which connects to the upper level of the expansion tank goes to a fitting under the inlet manifold, looking at the drawing there is another connection on the expansion tank directly below the one in the pic, assuming this is the other hose it connects to the cool return line from the radiator- makes me wonder if this is some form of cold start arrangement with the wire being for a temperature sensor. Looking at my wiring book i cant find light blue and green, u sure of the colours ?

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Take a pic of the engine standing behind it and i will show you where the hose should go, chance is u will find it has been blanked

4. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

The wire is one colour, ligh blue-ish or light green-ish. I have the electrical scheme from Paul Bennet, but I can't find anything that fits.
    Peter

5. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Will do. Thanks!
    Peter

6. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    #6 Pero, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    That makes more sense on the wire colour as light blue is listed. On the expansion tank you show the upper blanked hose which should be connnected in the V under the inlet manifold. Look at the lower connection on the expansion tank and follow that, i think it connects to the main return line from the radiator(cooled water) , this supplies make up water in case of water loss. The upper blanked hose i think is a return and water comes back above the normal level- is this some form of air release from the top of the engine. Something very wrong way this is setup so be carefull

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Ok looking at the oil filter- the upper blanked hose fits underneath the big red airbox in the V of the engine block- if you put your hand by the oil filter and go underneath the airbox , by the 2nd air inlet trumpet you should feel a connection probably with a blank plug and hose clip -the connection points out from the midpoint of the engine towards the oil filter.

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Bit of a loss as to what the 2nd blanked hose is, i remember there was a hose that used to come down by the right wheel as it was in a clip attached to the wheel liner. Oil breather hose maybe, but it was open ended, take the plug out and see what is in it.

10. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    That little 1/4 " hose goes to the water system T between the heads.
    This removes air from that top T.
    Note, green water system doesn't connect to the vacuum system.

11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    #2 is the bleeder, overflow to the expansion tank. There is a hose bub under the air box/plenum that corrodes. They may have just plugged it with something. Ricambi sells a stainless steel replacement that should last longer. You will have to pull the air box off to fix it. I would also siphon out the expansion tank and look for rust.

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I was half way there then

13. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Edwardo is correct :)

14. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Great response! Thank you all. Will spend the monday in garage and will let you know of progress/new problems.

Thank you!
    Peter

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Might be an idea before you remove the air box, to take the oil filter off and see if you can get it with a long socket bar, its either a screwed in connector or a bolted flange. Deep sockets might work and save a lot of time

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If u get stuck i can probably machine u 1 up in stainless if u give me a drawing

17. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    That would be great!
    Peter

18. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  19. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

Sweet! I will pull the plenum anyway since I can see from the right side that the cooling hoses under there are bad. While you are in there.....
    Peter

20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    That fitting looks like 1 of those you put a flat bar down the centre to wind it in or out, note it does not have a hex to put a spanner on. At 40 dollars its cheap.

21. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Ok, so removing the plenum was a pita. No doubt. Since I have a convertible I remove the two center nuts on front bank lying in the rear sets. Sounds comfortable? It is not. Grinded two 13 mm wrenches to be able to reach all nuts.
    Good thing. I now have the T for cooling water between the cylinder heads out and will work on removing the inserted plug. I can also put in new waterhoses between the banks. It was very needed.
    Second problem is that I shold remove fuel filter and fuel accumulator. First one for being old, second one membrane has a hole in it. Now I can't get the fuel hose off on the acc., the one that goes to the fuel pump. It is really stuck. Have tried WD40 type overnight for several days, no result. Any suggestions?

Peter

22. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I know those nuts well. Sheesh.

Old hoses need to be cut length wise where they are attached.

STANLEY® FatMax® 10-780 6 1/4" Fixed Blade Utility Knife | Quill.com

23. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Heat??.........No I'm joking!!!!!
    Can you post a picture?
    Are they nuts or bolts, I can't remember.
    If nuts you could just cut them of with a dremmel.
    Replace everything with stainless steel fixings, even on the engine externals. However never use stainless on the internals or suspension.
    All the best Bell

24. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Exactly. The steelbraided that connects to the accumulator from the fuel pump. So stuck. Thinking that if it could be disconnected at the fuel pump, I can work it loose on in on a bench instead.
    Peter