Bank 5-8 stays in Closed Loop! | FerrariChat

Bank 5-8 stays in Closed Loop!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Roc, Jun 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    !989 Mondial T with Motronic 2.5 ECU's. We have switched everything that can be switched. Bank 1-4 idles smoothly and appears to perform nicely. No matter what we do, Bank 5-8 will not come out of closed loop. New O2 sensors have been installed. All wiring has been checked per the workshop manual. All visible vacuum lines are sealed. The next step may be to remove the intake manifold to see if one of the lines underneath is amiss. I'm stumped! Any help will be deeply appreciated.

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Very strange! when you say switched everything that can be switched - can you itemize what those are? There might be a part that was missed that can help diagnose.

Cheers

3. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Not sure what "we switched everything that can be switched" covered. I am going to assume that means plugs, wires, coils.

Not coming out of closed loop means the computer thinks the car is not warmed up. What temp sensors go to that bank only?

There is also a discussion on here somewhere about rigging up a switch to get the computer to "blink" fault codes. That might be helpful.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    Thank you Paul & Jerry! So far my indy has switched the following items with no change:

ECU's
    MAF's
    Ignition modules

I'm not sure about the separate temp sensors that Jerry mentioned. I asked about that and am waiting for their response. We did install new plugs but that shouldn't affect the closed loop issue. If I knew where the temp sensors, and I do believe that there are separate ones for each bank, I'd go down there and change them myself.

5. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Closed loop is where both banks should be when the is warmed. We start in open loop, with preset parameters...and as the engine warms up, we go into closed loop. Time to find a new tech, as the basics are clearly not being understood. The temp sensors are just one of several parameters that tell the ECU what to do.

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    from what I understand there is just 1 temp sensor at the bottom of the radiator right? Your ECU should just take into account MAF (which you said you switched) engine temperature (should feed both Motronic ECUS - which you said you switched as well) and O2 sensor (which you said you replaced)

How are you determining that the 5-8 bank is in closed loop on startup?

Cheers

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    First of all, you really mean that it is stuck in OPEN loop where the car ignores the input from the O2 sensor.

Secondly, it determines that the coolant is not hot enough by reading its coolant temp sensors. I would measure the coolant signals at the ECU to see if there is a broken wire or something similar.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #8 johnk..., Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    Since there seems to be confusion of whether it's stuck in open or closed loop, if it's stuck in either it could be a bad coolant temp sensor (CTS) for the 1-5 bank making the ECU think it's either always warmed up or always cold.

You can measure the resistance of the resistance of the CTS. It should be around 1000 to 2000 ohms when cold; a few hundred when the engine is hot. If it measures very high resistance when cold, like 100,000 ohms or more, it most likely bad.

9. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    Thank you David, Paul and Mitchell! I'll meet with my indy this afternoon and report back.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I believe there is just 1 temp sensor at the bottom of the radiator, but I could be wrong - the good thing is it's a cheap part I believe $25.

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I believe that is either a water temp sending unit for the temp gage or the fan switch . CTS are located on the water manifold on the engine. Parts list calls out 2.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #12 paulchua, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    thanks John for correcting my ignorance...is this it?

Part #: 125769
    125769 SENSOR/WATER TEMPERATURE $32...

If so the OP may want to try swapping this part? See if it's a bad sensor?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    That's it. Drawing shows one, parts list call for two. I assume one for each side like the 2.7 system no a 355No need to swap parts. Coolant will leak out making a mess. Better to check resistance with an Ohm meter. Also, the part can be had for about $15 is you look around for it.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    There you go Rocco...John, thanks for helping out and educating me as well.

15. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    Thanks all!!! Now all I have to do is get my indy to work on her. I'll report back.

16. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Just out of curiosity what is the visible symptom that bank is not working properly? Does the car stink? Does it lope along hobby horsing when moving from a start in first gear when it is cold? How does it drive when warmed up?

My 3.2 routinely lights up the check engine light because I set the K-Jet to run just a little bit rich. Interestingly it does not stink of rotten eggs. Which it did a little bit when I first got it. I believe that is because the cats were clogged up. I THINK the O2 sensors are in front of the cats and if so they could see a perfect mixture that the clogged cats would not process properly.

I wonder when "Italian Tune Ups" became obsolete?