Antenna Question | FerrariChat

Antenna Question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by felkind, Jun 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. felkind

felkind Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Nashua, NH
    Full Name:
    Fred
    My antenna would go up part way, down, get stuck. Issues seemed pretty similar to window motor problems. I decided to replace the antenna with a new but not oem model. I thought I wired it the same as the original. Now it is stationary in the down position. Even in that position, I can pick up a station - if its within a mile. The new antenna had some cryptic comment about working with radio's on/off switch, which is what I assume the problem is. Any thoughts about wiring to make it work off the Mondial's antenna switch?

2. drfink

drfink Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    Roanoke VA
    Full Name:
    Dean Fink
    #2 drfink, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I refused to buy an aftermarket "Ferrari" antenna until I found a knockoff out of China on eBay I think I paid $15. I had to open it and remove the relay inside and solder directly to the motor wires
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. drfink

drfink Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    Roanoke VA
    Full Name:
    Dean Fink
    Sorry I wasnt clearer in my last post. Three wires were coming out of mine. I removed the relay inside and soldered the red and green wires directly to the motor inside, the two wires for the original antenna merely switch polarity.

4. felkind

felkind Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Nashua, NH
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks for the info. Your antenna looks surprisingly similar to mine - but I paid more. After you "adjusted" the wiring did the antenna work off the antenna switch alone?

5. drfink

drfink Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    Roanoke VA
    Full Name:
    Dean Fink
  6. docvb

docvb Rookie

Jun 6, 2010
    That's a lot more elegant than my solution--to cap the car's wires and to run a new wire pair to my stereo head unit for antenna operation

7. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    Thanks Dr Fink. Just completed this replacement tonight, works perfect after removing the relay and direct wiring. Took about three weeks for the antenna to arrive from China, and then installed in less than an hour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    why are you guys getting stuff from china...? Any place that supplies hot rod parts or aftermarket performance parts like www.summitracing.com and even probably a place like autozone have universal power antennas. I got mine for both the 348 and mondial from summit.

9. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    Where does summit or autozone buy it from? I'm ok with hacking a $15 part in case it doesn't work, but not going to give a premium to a US retailer for something a need to hack to make work.

10. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I have a coupe, so my antenna may be different than yours.

My power antenna was dead. I pulled it, took it to Autozone, and found an replacement for 65$. Almost an exact clone and it fit perfectly.

sid

11. drfink

drfink Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    Roanoke VA
    Full Name:
    Dean Fink
    Yeah I'm good with a $15 dollar replacement, rarely does it get used and it looks relatively similar to my original.

12. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You need to periodically lube the antenna mast. I usually do it every time after I wash the car. Raise the mast, spray some WD-40 on a rag, and wipe the mast down with it. The mast moves much easier when lubed, and won't put as much stress on the motor, or other components. Also prevents rust.