Help-hood latch jammed! | FerrariChat

Help-hood latch jammed!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Eddie.h, Jul 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The hood latch has jammed on my 1983 Mondial QV, the cable pull will not release the hood. Any ideas?

2. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Try getting someone to push down on said hood while you pull said cable .. also you can try to squirt some lube in the general vicinity. Final idea, park in hot sun and try again with two people.

3. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks, got the wife to do the pushin while I did the pullin. Hmm. That didn't sound right. But no luck. Can't budge the cable.. Any more thoughts on how to get to the latch?

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Does your car have a push button to open the latch ? What happens when you push it ?

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You might be able to access the latch if you take the hood grill off. The one behind the pop up lights. Access through the weather stripping.

6. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The car does have the electronic latch. I can hear it clicking but does not release. Will try taking of the front grill. Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how this one plays out.

7. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    The front grill is attached with 4 to 6 screws that can be reached easily between the grill. Some cars also have 2 extra rivets attaching the grill to the bonnet from underneath the hood. I hope you don't have these...

I was more thinking of a small camera on a long flexible tube with an extra light to see what goes wrong under the hood. I wouldn't be too surprised if a low battery would play a role in it, so make sure the battery still holds enough power to engage the latch.

8. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Well, the front grill must have the rivets because it will not come off, the battery is fully charged and pulling with everything I have on the hood latch cable she will not budge. Next step is to take it to my trusty mechanic and see what he says. It's is such a simple mechanism. Pull the cable, latch releases???? Oh well....

9. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
  10. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #10 Eddie.h, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Was able to move the head light back by removing the bolts through the grill. That let my wife and I remove the bolts on the front hinge which allowed us to lift up the right side of the hood enough and slide in a 36" extension with a universal socket and loosen the bolts on the latch. Sweetie gave the hood a wack while I tugged on the cable and the hood popped open. Yipppeee.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The next step would have been a tin opener !!

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Good Job Eddie!

13. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009