Air box stencil- anyone have one? | FerrariChat

Air box stencil- anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Cadillacbart, Jul 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I can buy the one off of ebay- thought I'd check if anyone had a reusable one I could borrow instead.

Thanks, just doing a bit of engine detailing.

John

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I bought one a few weeks ago, I have not used it yet.

The trick is to trim it as close as you can, glue it to the box with the correct craft adhesive, spray black thru the stencil first to seal the edges and then do 2-4 light coats of white.

Since mine is an '88, I only have the "Ferrari" logo on my airbox, not the rest of the small print to the right of the logo, so I will only be using the "Ferrari" part.

Also, the stencil is in two parts that overlay each other, so you have to install and paint the first one, then do the same with the second one to get the fill ins and details right.

It may not be "reusable." If it is, I would be happy to send it on in exchange for modest compensation.

FWIW, I have researched this on the forum ad nauseum, there must be 100 posts about the subject. Some have tried to have silk screen stencils made, that is the way it was done originally, but the cost for a one off stencil is too high.

The decals/transfers offered are too large, the wrong font (oval dot on the "i" instead of a slash) and I don't think they will lay flat on the textured airbox cover. They also do not include the small detail script, only the "Ferrari" part.

You can send the cover off and have it done professionally for about $200 or so.(!)

Some folks report they liked the stencil and it did an acceptable job for them, others were not happy with the result. I think it comes down to skill, patience, knowledge (like the tip to spray black first, then white,) and not expecting it to look OEM unless you are willing to send it to someone who has the silkscreen rig and pay for the perfection you get.

The cost for the stencil was about $25 shipped.

I plan to take my time and try to get a good result.

If it is not perfect and anyone looking at it closely says anything about it, I will quickly slam the engine cover on the back of their head.

That is my plan and all I know about it.

Alden

3. Cadillacbart

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Good info Alden,
    I also have an '88. Did not know that we only have the Ferrari script and not the ufi info.

Looking forward to your results.
    John

4. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I used a sticker. No muss, no fuss.

5. Cadillacbart

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Picture by chance?

6. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    I ordered the stencil on ebay

here is my post

Stencil Air Intake Cover

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/484524-stencil-air-intake-cover.html

its plastic
    precision cut
    its two piece

took me couple tries

Tips
    use light coat 3M glue to create tackiness to hold stencil (spray on wait about minute before use)
    1 very light coat of paint
    wait for paint to dry before removing stencil
    repeat
    once dry use blade to "scape" away bleeding

7. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    #7 srephwed, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    PS As soon as I get mine back from the guy I lent it to I can send it to you, gratis......we're family you know

9. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #9 Alden, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not a concourse event here but this is what the size and placement should look like.

In the case of my '88, it only has the "Ferrari s.p.a." part others have the UFI stuff too.

I would be happy to loan my stencil out too, once I get around to finally using it on my car. This is the push I need to get it done.
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Alden getr done! haha

And Fred wins the "size" contest!