3.2 Coupe losing power to dash intermittently | FerrariChat

3.2 Coupe losing power to dash intermittently

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by djs308, Jul 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    So…. I had my Mondial out this morning for my usual Sunday drive. Noticed my dash clock was reset to 0.00. Ok, normal weirdness. I reset it. After a few minutes, I noticed the time display was lagging significantly behind and not keeping proper time. NOT normal weirdness…

Then while underway, I noticed my speedometer and tachometer cut out for a couple seconds at a time and then pop back to life as if nothing had happened. This repeated a number of times. Going over bumps may have had something to do with it.

After stopping to fill up on gas, I restarted the car and the clock was completely off. No LED lights at all. Same intermittent cut outs for the gauges. Everything else (i.e.: odometers, turn signals, oil pressure & temp gauges, etc.) *seems* ok.

I definitely do NOT have the ability to properly troubleshoot this myself unless there’s a super simple DIY visual check I can do or unplug/replug connectors... Hoping it's something even I can handle, before giving up and bringing to a shop. (Similar technical threads turn up in search, but all were above my head!)

Any easy to do ideas? Thanks!

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Check all your fuses and white and two black/main connectors in the fuse box and any under the dash that you can get to.

Check all the ground connections you can find and your battery cut off switch, if you have one.

R&R all the relays too, checking them is more difficult unless you have spares to swap them out, but it doesn't sound like it is relay related.

I have found partially melted fuses that were still allowing current to flow thru the circuit.
    Alden

3. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    I had the same intermittent problem, seemed to affect most but not all of my gauges, and did not respond to any fiddling with fuses. I put it down to a loose ground wire (good luck getting to that, even the dealer was reluctant to go looking for it) and chalked it up to just another Mondial "quirk". Finally got tired of "quirks" and sold the car.

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You can unplug the dashboard connectors. Spray a little WD40 on the metal parts. Reconnect.

5. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    If you are going to go to the trouble of finding and disconnecting stuff there are better products than WD40 which may attack certain plastics.
    Something like CAIG's DeoxIT is a better bet IMO.

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I know it won't damage the plastic connectors in the Ferrari, or damage any wiring in the car from experience. And have not found anything better. But to each his own of course.

We found that WD40 worked better on some electrical equipment with metal contacts, than electrical contact cleaner specifically designed for that task. It also works well for removing stains from stickers, etc. And as general cleaner for mechanical devices, bicycles, etc.

7. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    #7 Cadillacbart, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^this

I also keep a Porsche 928 S4 running. The deoxit is the main tool in my arsenal:)

8. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    WD stands for Water Displacement. It's a light oil with other additives.
    Oil can be a insulator.
    Not a great idea for electrical contacts.

Deoxit 5 is the only thing I use on electrical connections.
    I have been using this stuff in the audio and video business for a long time.
    Along with a light scrubbing of contacts with a fine brush and possibly a slight squeezing of the female side of a connector to increase pressure of a connection, this should fix most minor electrical issues. Use compressed air to remove the excess fluid from a contact point.
    I would also check for a bad ground connection somewhere. This can cause a multitude of crazy issues in a Mondial and many other cars as well. Bad grounds can cause noise in the entire electrical system. If this noise reaches the main ECUs all hell can break loose, and usually does.

DavidJ

9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Oil is great for electrical contacts, because it helps remove the corrosion, and helps prevent more corrosion. If you have ever purchased bare steel, you may have noticed a layer of oil placed on it to prevent corrosion.

10. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
  11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    On Deoxit - it's hard to get the exact contents out of these companies, but when the directions say "dispose of as you would mineral oil", I suspect IT IS mineral oil, in a mineral spirits solvent. Which exactly describes WD-40. So maybe the only BIG difference is the price ?

http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~russ/MSDS/deoxIT.pdf

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Can we dispense with the Deoxit/WD-40 discussion and talk about how Armor All rots your tires instead?

How about oil choices, belt change intervals, fuel octane choices or something else equally controversial? :)

WD-40 and duct tape are cure all gifts from the God's for heaven's sake, this is blasphemy!
    :)
    Alden

13. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Great info everyone! Thank you. I'll start with the fuse box as it's the easiest thing to check. I do have contact cleaner that I recently bought. So can't hurt to do some of that anyway.

This reminded me of a similar situation I had about a year ago when my turn signals did the same intermittent fail. I pulled the fuse, blew out some crud with compressed air, popped the fuse back in, and the signals have worked fine since! Hoping this will be a similarly easy fix.

If not, I'll check under the dash. Just simple connectors under there?

My car does have the battery cutoff switch, FYI. Not sure how to search for ground connections, but I'll hold off on that in case I can resolve this checking the other items first.

14. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    #14 spicedriver, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That's right. From WD-40's official website:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    marketing at its best!

16. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    DO NOT SPRAY WD40 it acts as an isulator cause it attracts ****!

Only use Electrical Contact Cleaner

PS Protecting metal from rust is way different than a reliable LOW RESISTANCE electrical contact! but hey its your Ferrari

17. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    most likely the white connectors connected to the fuse box

18. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

Those low resistance electrical contacts are made out of metal. WD-40 cleans AND lubricates, and protects the metal from rust. Most electrical contact cleaners won't lubricate, or protect the metal. The problem is 2Fe + O2 -> Fe2O3.

And WD-40 is not an "insulator". That is some internet myth, and can be easily verified with an ohm meter.

If it was good enough for the Atlas Rocket, it's good enough for a car. Even a red one !

19. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    If you want to use WD-40 on your classic car electrical connectors, no one will stop you, it's not illegal.

But... it should be.

If you want to use a multi purpose petroleum product that was designed to penetrate rusty bolts and nuts, remove crayon from fabrics, lube bicycle chains, and thousands of other lubrication and solvent applications, have fun.
    Just please post your VIN number so none of us will purchase your car in the future.

I prefer to use a product that has been specifically designed for ELECTRICIAL contacts on my classic Ferrari.

DeoxIT, Stabilant 22, Cramolyn, and others; any of these are way better to clean electrical contacts than WD-40.
    Oil is an insulator. Period.
    You do not want a coating that remains behind and prevents electrical signals (digital) or voltage (analog) from successfully passing through a connection.

I agree that WD-40 was indeed used to protect the Atlas rocket....on the LOX and Hydrogen tanks to prevent corrosion, it was NOT used on electrical contacts.

And, I might add, I do not believe in using the electrical "grease" either. Unless it is conductive, using metallic additives, it is worse than than using nothing at all. In fact, if it is petroleum based it will absorb water and make things worse. If it is silicon based it is only slightly better, still NG in my opinion.

Posting this for all future FerrariChat searchers so they don't get bad information.

DavidJ

20. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Okay smarty pants. Look up the contents of Deoxit, and WD-40, then post them here.

21. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    And FYI, electrical signals can be either digital, or anolog. And they are both comprised of varying voltages. You obviously don't understand electronics.

22. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Spice not to start a war here but I actually worked on Atlas / Delta/ Kistler/ SSME plus all the Mars missions ... wd40 was not used on electrical connections per the drawings and specs (actually to be specific those contacts were Military Grade Gold Plated contacts)....now if you were one of those guys that introduced FOD so be it

besides the Ferrari contacts are not Fe (iron) that would be stupid as iron rusts way too quick

Unfortunately most are tinplated alloy...and tin has its on share of issues!

If you choose to use WD40 so be it but its not recommended

23. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Whiskers!

24. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Congratulations on the Mars missions.

Ferrari chassis (at least the metal ones) are steel, which is mostly Iron. Therefore, the electrical ground connections will have Iron Oxide to deal with. The other metals used will corrode as well, and will respond favorably to WD-40.

The company website includes electrical contacts as one of the products' automotive uses. If WD-40 caused some sort of problems with that use, you can bet there would have been a multitude of lawsuits already.

Protect Car Paint & Polish Chrome - WD-40 Uses & Tips

Yourself and some others have mentioned DeoxIT as an alternative. Please study the MSDS, and you will see that the contents are very similar to WD-40.

http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~russ/MSDS/deoxIT.pdf

https://www.cla.purdue.edu/polsci/documents/safetydocs/msdadocs/wd40.pdf

25. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    The original subject was about the dash lights and what connectors to clean , you are correct that the grounds should be checked too

Ive never used deoxit cant speak to that .......only electrical contact cleaners that have similar qualities to trichloroethelyne....but we dont talk about using that anymore;)