ferrari market | FerrariChat

ferrari market

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by EMJAY, Jul 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EMJAY

EMJAY Karting

Nov 20, 2012
    curious on your thoughts on basically the Ferrari market, seems like not a lot of cars for sale unless you're looking for a 360 f1 .. which almost impossible for find a 360 manual trans which would be the only one that I would want. mondial seems to be in the high 30's to 40k range for a decent 3.2 or T .. couple years ago I had my eye on a couple 360's w/ manual trans in the high 60's to 70k. now from the 360 model on down prices are sky rocketing !!! ( almost dbld in 2 yrs) think I may have missed the boat on purchasing another car at reasonable price...don't see the Ferrari market ever softening...

btw love my mondi and its close to being in A+ condition ...

2. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Your observation might have been true earlier this year but not now. 3.2 cabs are struggling to fetch $35K even with recent majors. Dealer asking prices are still high but cars not selling. The infamous Simpson 3.2 cab did not make $30K when it finally sold on the 4th try on Ebay, with recent major. T cabs I see asking $50K but not selling. I saw a T coupe sell for $35k in Oregon last year, represented as clean but it had some latent issues. The one recent exception to the soft market was that Rosso Rubino cab, extensively restored and unusual color, I think it made $42K. Coupes seem a little harder to come by and may be fetching more money but hard to tell as very little data.

With regard to the market in general, I think the GT4 frenzy is over with several cars sitting unsold; 328GTS realistic price now $60K for a good driver. TRs back down to $100K. 355s as low as $50K but for that you get a can of worms. Sorted 355s offered at less than $100K probably selling for $90K.

There is still strength in the unusual cars ... 348 SS, the early glass 308s, 328 GTB, 355, 360 and 430 manual coupes. 348s in general seem to be scarce right now which is a bit of a head scratcher. Bottom line the market is becoming picky.

This against a background of strong real estate and stocks, and peak summer weather. If you are in the market, I would wait and see.

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    That's the feeling I'm having too for the moment. At least 25 Mondials for sale in Belgium at high prices (from 30K - 100K euro)... none have been sold for the last 6 months.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    What you've observed has been a combination of general price appreciation on the marque as well as inflated prices for hard assets in general.

The economy is cyclical, and we are at a relative 'high' point. Wait until this wave is done, and you should be able to acquire your 360 for more reasonable prices.

As for when? Well if you can answer that, you wouldn't be in a position of price sensitivity in the first place.

;)

5. EMJAY

EMJAY Karting

Nov 20, 2012
    ive just been scrolling ebay and autotrader, seems like all the prices have gone up and not much for sale..328's are all in the 70's -80k , 348's not much out there but 50-60k and 355's seems to be 360 prices and TR's are all over a 100k...and I haven't seen many mondials up for sale...maybe i'm missing something but from internet it looked to me as they were up...thanks for the feedback...

I'm not looking to sell so all good...

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Seen lots of Mondials, the range I've seen is as follows

8 = ~25ish
    qv = 35ish
    3.2 = 40ish
    t = 50ish

I would say the majority also need the major service so add at least 3-6K do proper acquisition.

I think the 348/360 will experience deeper hits in our next cycle. If you have your eye on a 360, I would wait until next recession (just my honest *opinion*)

I believe the 355 - will do well being the last 'fully' analog Ferrari 2 seater.

I don't think Mondial price appreciation will truly come until another 10 - 15 years...which is fine by me

Prices go up - I win
    Prices go down - I win (cheaper parts)

Cheers

7. EMJAY

EMJAY Karting

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree, I think in the next 10 plus years the mondial will go up 50 to 60k range for the elite..

I think if you have a clean 360 manual trans you have a good investment, most enthusiast want to shift....

miss the boat on the 328 market,, clean ones are 80k !!!!!

355 will hold strong ,

the people listing the mondial on autotrader must be off-base then,, they are all priced over 40 k????

8. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I see 360s from dealers for 69K. Which is a lot less than what they cost new. The 360 had relatively high production numbers for a Ferrari. I really like the cars large engine access panel from behind the rear seats. Should make belt changes a snap!

9. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I just did an expensive major on my 8, with lots of extra things done.

My conundrum though. I love driving it, looking at it, and hearing it. But I probably have little justification in owning one right now at this juncture. Sometimes it makes me think I'm being dumb and should just go buy a 911. The quirks on the 8 are expensive. The market might bring $25-30K. But then I'd have no Ferrari...a vintage one at that!

I don't think in 10 years they will be worth $60K +, but kindly make me eat my words if I still own mine, and I'll be cashing out :)

10. WilD

WilD Karting

Jan 20, 2011
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Matt
    My feelings as a watcher of the Mondial and 3X8 market is that prices are in the process of pulling back from their highs. There are still a lot of cars out there with relatively high asking prices, but I don't think they are selling. I think sellers of Mondials in particular have been very optimistic and most will be disappointed if they really need to sell the car in the short term.

I don't have any skin in this game, but I am sorry I didn't buy a car when they were dirt cheap. I don't think prices are going to fall all the way back to 2009 levels for 308s for instance, but I selfishly wish they would.

11. EMJAY

EMJAY Karting

Nov 20, 2012
    seems the 328 and the TR have made the most dramatic price increase last cpl years,, and the most desirable 360's are still 80k plus..

mondials will stay between mid 20's to high 30's for another decade...my opinion...

seems I may be wrong with my observation on the values from what I read from you guys..maybe people are overly optimistic with selling their cars on Ebay..

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #12 paulchua, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    I think that's the beauty of my Mondial is it's at a juncture where it's in a 'sweet' spot. (it was definitely better 3 years ago, got my for just 27K)

I drive it as much as I can..once I got it sorted, it has been relatively trouble free. I plan to drive it into the earth. If prices go up - great. If prices go down - great...I'll be happy to buy another one if this one goes kaput.

...that's one of the great things about this particular Ferrari. If I sell today, I make a profit (even taking $$ spent on maintenance/insurance)

Not very often in life one was 'paid' to drive a Ferrari. No such thing as an affordable Ferrari? Hogwash - I'm living proof it can be done. If I sold today, the fact is I got paid to drive my car....many Ferrari 308 GT4 (another car unfairly maligned) owners know first hand what I speak. (skip to 9:51 for summation)

Let me say this, if the Mondials go back to 2009 levels - I'm backing the truck up.....if for anything else then the parts value alone (same exact drive train as the 308/328) would put you ahead.

Some people still ask...Why the Mondial?

...this is why

13. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Oh man... That exhaust note! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO