Steering rack making noise | FerrariChat

Steering rack making noise

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by drbruno, Aug 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Hey Group,

The steering rack on my 1989 Mondial t makes an occasional noise over some bumps and at a standstill when I turn the steering wheel left and right. Mechanic believes the bushing is worn and recommends a rebuilt of the rack at some point. He states that the car is very safe to drive, it's more of an annoyance.

I understand there is a company in the US that rebuilds racks. Any advice on this? Any thoughts on the noise? I'll likely address this when I do the belt service in the future.

Thanks,

Bruno

2. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Track rod ends most likely, unlikely to be the steering rack. The rack itself might be moving in it's mounting points and just needs nipping up. How mant miles on the car?

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    The noise coming from you steering rack could be one of a few things Bruno.

And I have seen all these issues happen before in a lot of different models of cars. Including Ferrari.

1- Worn tie-rod ends.

2- Worn inner rack ends.

3- Worn bushes inside steering rack.

4- Worn bushes that bolt rack onto body.

I will go out on a limb here and go with #3 and say the steering rack bushes are worn out inside the rack. **Well, one bush is worn out on whichever side is knocking**

That is probably why your mechanic said the steering rack needs to be rebuilt.

If you're keen, jack the car up on whichever side it is making the noise and have a look, listen and feel for yourself.

Be sure to place a chassis stand under the car when working underneath a car that is jacked up and have someone wiggle/turn the steering wheel for you with the engine switched off while you listen and look for the noise from the steering rack.

It's very easy to diagnose and I wish you all the best with it.

4. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Hi Bell,

Thanks for your response. The car has just over 25,000 miles. Any advice on how to get to the track rod ends or how to tighten up the steering rack mounting points?

5. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    My advice would be to leave the front wheels loaded by putting the car on a ramp and get a friend or your mechanic to locate the noise as you turn the wheel back and forth. This will give you the solution.
    All the best Bell Bloke.
    Ps. 25,000miles it's not likely to be a worn out rack, my money is on movement between the rack and the car or track rods.

6. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I just repaired this in a 3.2, but your model is the one w/ power steering ... correct? I'm afraid any advice I could give would merely add confusion, but if anyone thinks it transfers to a T, let me know.

7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    My 348 has 27,000 miles on it and the LH rack bush *inside the tube* was gone. It had crumbled away to nothing a few thousand miles ago.

If the mechanic is talking about a steering rack rebuild, I assume it's because this bush is worn also in Bruno's car.

If it's a worn tie-rod end, inner rack end or bushes that bolt the rack into the car, the steering rack doesn't need to be rebuilt.

But again, if the mechanic states he needs the rack to be rebuilt one day then it's obviously an issue inside the rack.

That or the mechanic is trying to take Bruno for a ride.....

8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    My bet is on the passenger side inner bushing. Very very common on these racks. And a easy fix. Look for DeTomaso Pantera bushing on the net. Don't try Ferrari.

9. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #9 PAP 348, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is an example of what I am talking about to make a little more clear for those who are not sure which parts are which in the steering rack.

Circled in red is the inner steering rack bush, which is what I think has failed in Bruno's car prompting the mechanic to make mention of a steering rack rebuild in future.

All the other circled parts can be replaced without rebuilding the steering rack.

Circled in blue are the outer tie-rod ends.

Circled in green are the inner rack-ends.

Circled in yellow are the steering rack mounting bushes.

Hope this picture makes it a little easier to understand.

*This generic pic is of a steering rack with NO power steering I got from Google*
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Wow! Thanks everyone. A lot of great information. I really don't think the mechanic is taking me for a ride. Really honest guy. I've deal with Rocco at Rock's Auto and Tom Bakowsky from Cross Auto was the individual who looked at the steering rack while he corrected my shifting problem. Both are stand up guys.

11. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That is great to hear Bruno, take care and enjoy. :)

12. Jh348

Jh348 Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jesse Heinola
    #12 Jh348, Dec 1, 2016
    Sorry to revive old thread, but im doing rack rebuild on my 348. its the rack bush that had play on it. I dont know can u get rebuild kit for it but i made my own bush. Only notable thing is that trw oe bush has locking tabs to prevent bush movement. I made press fit bush so you need to make breathing slots to it, otherwise it would balloon the gaitor. And use suitable fluidgrease.

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #13 Wade, Dec 1, 2016
  14. Jh348