3.2 Mondial brake light switch wiring question | FerrariChat

3.2 Mondial brake light switch wiring question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by PBonneau, Aug 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PBonneau

PBonneau Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    #1 PBonneau, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have an '86 3.2 Mondial. Someone in the past inserted a 2 prong brake light switch where a 4 prong switch is required. They then connected together the remaining two wires so that my rear brake lights would work. (See photo) As a result the brake light warning system is activated every time I apply the brakes.

I have acquired the correct 4 prong switch (see photo) and wish to make the replacement. However, I do not know how to wire it correctly. The two small prongs are labeled "1" and "2", while the larger prongs are labeled "3" and "4". The wires I have are: one large red wire, two large green wires connected together, a small red/black wire, and a small green wire.

Can anyone please advise me which wire attaches to each prong? Thanks in advance!

Philippe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #2 Alden, Aug 8, 2016
  3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    #3 spicedriver, Aug 8, 2016
    I believe that I have the same switch (the new one) on my car. When I first got the car, the brake lights didn't work, but the switch looked new. I found that the adjustment was way off, and the switch would not touch the actuator. After I had adjusted the switch position, the system worked backwards. Meaning the brake lights were always on until the brake pedal was pressed. So I reversed the wires by putting the large wires on the small connectors, and the small wires onto the large connectors. The large connectors on the switch needed to be trimmed a bit. Then everything works. The console "STOP LIGHTS", and yellow warning light come on whenever you press the brake pedal, but I think this is normal. I'm guessing the new switches are different than what was originally on the car.

The connections I have are 1. large red 2. two large green 3. small green 4. small red and black.

Actually you can switch the 1 position with the 2 wire, and the 3 position with the 4 wire, and it will still work the same.

So what you can try is to put the large wires onto the large connectors on the switch, and the small wires onto the small connectors on the switch, and if everything works okay, you're good. If it works backwards like mine does, then just put the large wires onto the small connectors, and the small wires onto the large connectors.

I'm curious to see how yours works, so let us know, thanks.

4. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    Alden,

I am impressed by the schematic, do you happen to have the entire one for the Mondial?

cheers

braq

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #5 mike32, Aug 9, 2016
  6. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Yes, I have the factory wiring manual, shoot me a PM and I will see if I can help get some info to you.
    Alden

7. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  8. blownfuse

blownfuse Karting

Jul 16, 2012
    Campbell, California
    FWIW, I've used this book to troubleshoot my '88 3.2, and found many differences. Seems the factory changed the wiring scheme from year to year.

Still a good book nonetheless...

9. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    My manual is full of handwritten corrections, as I found stuff wrong, I noted it.
    Alden

10. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    Sweet, thanks for the link, downloaded the pdf. Now would any of you also have one for the QV?
    I don't know yet how much of the 3.2's I could assume to have been carried over from the QV (or 8)?

Cheers

braq

11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The QV workshop manual has some electrical info:

http://ferrari.cdyn.com/ferrari_docs/mondial8qv_workshop_281-83.pdf

12. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    The basics are the same, but the 3.2 has a more complex HVAC, ignition and injection wiring than the QV, so those sections would not fully apply.

13. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #13 afterburner, Aug 10, 2016
  14. PBonneau

PBonneau Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks for all the replies!

Does anyone who has changed their switch have any tips to share before I undertake this job? Thanks in advance!

Philippe

15. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    Yes, great stuff, thanks from my side as well.

You will appreciate having a 2nd person to tell you when the brake lights come on while you are adjusting the switch position OR mirror OR park close to some surface so you can guess the reflection,

cheers

braq

16. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Take the driver's seat out, 4 bolts and about 5 minutes to do and it will make access under the dash much easier.
    Alden

17. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Not under the dash, it's under the hood. No need to take the seat out.

Very simple, remove the wires, loosen the locknut, unscrew the old switch. Install is reverse of removal. Go easy on the plastic nut. See post #3 for wire positions. Don't adjust too much pedal pressure onto the new switch.

18. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    QV under the dash.
    3.2 on the pedal box accessible from the front trunk.
    I think.

19. PBonneau

PBonneau Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have installed the new brake light switch that I purchased from Super Performance. Here's how I wired it:
    pole #1: small green wire
    pole #2: red/black wire
    pole #3: double green wire
    pole #4: large red wire

I screwed it it about 3.5cm and snugged the nut. Now the "brake light" warning light in the center console no longer burns every time I press on the brake pedal.

Thanks to everyone who helped me!

Philippe

20. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong