Clutch Slave Cylinder? | FerrariChat

Clutch Slave Cylinder?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MaseratiMike, Aug 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Does anyone know if there is a cross reference part to another vehicle for a 1985 Mondial QV - clutch Slave Cylinder?

Such as from Alfa Romeo?

Ferrari part number is: 107867

-----
    I know there is a cross reference for the clutch master cylinder, to an Alfa Romeo and is about 25% of the price for the identical Ferrari labelled part...

Thanks
    Mike

2. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    In 2012 I paid about $75 for a clutch slave cylinder kit from AW Imports. Number was 07867KIT and this was for my 87 Mondial. Check with them.

CB

3. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I have the seal for sale...also for the master. For the 3 seals its 15 euro + shipping.

Guido

4. Mfoncerrada

Mfoncerrada Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    I got the seals from Guido a few years ago. Didn't need them at the time but figured if they were available and inexpensive why not?

Used them last year and they worked perfectly!

Thanks Guido!

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Why is the Mondial slave cylinder prone to failure, or at least that is what I hear, it is oft cited as one of the areas to be proactive with. Is it simply the seals perish, or is there some design flaw?

6. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    I would say location....it is between the exhaust manifold and the firewall. Ventilation in that area is probably less than ideal compared to the rear bank. I have a theory that the flywheel sensor for bank 5-8 (which is mere inches from the clutch slave) is more prone to failure than the one for either the tach or bank 1-4 because heat can degrade magnets...certainly the heat will play havoc on seals as well.

7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Ah yes, makes sense, there would be a lot of heat in there.

8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Also, I have noticed that the hose from the slave cylinder is a stainless braided one, covered with a black plastic outer cover (mine is flaking away so I can see the braided hose). This would also be subject to the heat, and mine is original. I think replacement hoses vary greatly in price as some just use a regular brake hose, rather than the braided hose? On the other hand they may all just use brake hose and charge different prices, so does anyone have a source for one that is confirmed to be braided and true OEM style?

9. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Lancia thema I believe but you have to switch out the pushrods

10. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    You need to replace the boot or your new seals will fail prematurely, if buying just the seals, and that's the catch because boot is not sold separately and there is no match

11. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock

My hose failed during an up shift and the car limped home in first gear. It was a rubber one and was obviously over cooked. I would recommend a SS braided replacement.

Brock

12. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok folks, thanks for the seal kit suggestions/offers.... However back to the.original question, is there a cross reference part available from another car?

13. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Brock, you have confirmed my concern re: a plain rubber brake hose, assuming you replaced the hose with the correct replacement, where did you get the ss braided hose?

14. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    Unfortunately when it busted I was still living in Las Vegas and the car had been moved ahead of me to CO. The gentleman who was storing it for me (and was driving it when it failed) had a hydraulic shop make a replacement. It isn't braided SS or rubber but is a thermoplastic combo of sorts....Sad to say, I don't have any further details other than it is holding up well after 5 years with no signs of degradation.

15. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Under NO circumstances use the Alpha parts. EYE did use them, for both the master and slave cylinder. It led to catastrophic failure of the entire system. At 90F and 8,000rpm I believe an hydraulic parasitic resonance did the following three things. 1) Scattered the clutch plate; 2) destroyed the slave cylinder; and 3) destroyed the master cylinder all at the very same time.

I installed rebuilt hydraulic F parts myself [an heroic effort in and of itself] and my local wrench did the clutch plate thing. All at reasonable prices. I also believe you CAN use Alpha parts if you intend only to do parades or GT cruising. Which, actually, is all you need to do!

Specifically, I ran my 1986 3.2 through a 1/2 mile speed trial four times. Each time shifting first at 7,500 rpm. Then 7,000 rpm; then 6,500 rpm. Then 6,000 rpm. The fastest time I achieved was shifting at 6,000 rpms at 115 mph. All the other shift points were slower. But not by much. All runs were within 1.5 mph.

I believe my Alpha parts would have held up with shift points at 6,000 rpms. Perhaps even 6,500. But clearly not at the red line. Which, it turns out, is simple theatrics anyway.

16. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I change that seal in the slave cilinder every 2 years....its easy to do and the seal is cheap.
    Also the brake fluid has no change to be contaminated with water.

Guido

17. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Guido,
    another kit left? While everything is out of the car. Mine is a 1982 Mondial 8 US model.

Best
    Jurgen

18. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Guido