My humble addition to the legacy of the Mondial... | FerrariChat

My humble addition to the legacy of the Mondial...

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by davemqv, Aug 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    A+++ Great Job Dave!!! I LOVE THIS ARTICLE

my only constructive feedback is I believe the Scent of a Women was a 't'

Cheers

3. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Paul!

Was it?! I'll double check and fix if I was wrong.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Excellent article - I can't say it enough- thank for this writeup. Honest, and a great introduction to the model.

(clapping)

5. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Really well written Dave.

6. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    We fixed it. Thanks Paul!

7. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks!

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Very nice!

Regarding the "proportional aesthetics", maybe the Mondial was the inspiration for the Lamborghini Portofino and the subsequent design trend at Chrysler (cab forward)?

That Time Lamborghini Made A Sedan That Became A Chrysler

Makes me wonder and would be an interesting question for the designer, Kevin Verduyn.

9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

Sorry to be the grammar police, but I think that should read "(now an accepted fact)".

Also, I don't think the later models had the metric wheels.

10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ha, you got me! That one slipped past the editor, too.

For the sake of brevity and article flow, we may have to let the wheel point be a happy surprise if someone buys a later car. ;)

Thanks!

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good God! And people give the Mondial a hard time?!?!

;)

It would be interesting if the Mondial proportions influenced other cars though. I always think of them as somewhat singular in their look.

12. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    #12 spicedriver, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

This was a design concept before the 348 came out. You can see the similarity to the Mondial. The actual 348 looks a little more stout, but I still think the 348 looks more like a Mondial, than it does a 308.

The Mondial was also the first Ferrari designed with a split frame, for easy power unit removal. This design also carried forward to the 348.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes you're right. Very Mondial like in the drawing phase. But I agree that the final design of the 348 had a different feel. The Mondial has an almost floating "barchetta" type of design. It sits low to the ground like a boat in the water. The subtle curve of the body accentuates that feeling, for me anyway. The 348 doesn't have that feeling at all.

14. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Very nice article!

Just a few comments:

Did I miss you mention a real trunk/boot that can actually hold enough luggage for a week long trip or two sets of clubs for the a golf outing? And the interior room is very generous, especially the headroom.

I tried to buy a 308/328 in 2000 and had to pass because my 6'4"/200 lb frame would not fit comfortably in the car. I actually raised the seats in mine 1" for easier ingress/egress. This also improved my view of the instruments and outward visibility.

You dissed the 3.2 because of the bumper re-design? I think it looks more integrated, well thought out and modern.

Don't forget about improved rust proofing post '85 and the availability of ABS on the '88 models. Also, a re-design of the clutch geometry made it less truck like and easier to use, they did the same thing on the 328, IIRC.

I did a lot of research before I chose which Mondial to buy and the '88 3.2 Cabriolet came up on top due to all the improvements incorporated by that time and the economy of service.

The "T" lost out in my competition because of the need to drop the engine for service and expensive add ons like power steering and adjustable shocks, more computer modules too, resulting in more difficult and costly repair when those (unnecessary?) features fail.

I guess I am a true "analog man." :)

Then it took me 3 YEARS to find one that I would be willing to purchase and I could not be happier.

In person, everyone loves the car, especially the gals. It really is a beautiful, sexy and appealing design, just retro enough to be classic, but modern too so that some folks think it is much newer model.

And everyone knows it is a Ferrari! The McDonuts being made today are sometimes identified by non-car folks as everything from Mustangs to Lambos.
    Alden

15. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Alden!

Yes, I did leave out a few of the points that make the Mondial different, including the trunk. Mostly in the interest of keeping things on point and flowing. I did try to point out that the interior and driving position are much more comfortable than the 308/328.

I also didn't highlight the 3.4 engine change specifically, other than reference the shape and to say the t costs more to service. And I didn't mention the Valeo at all.

I was trying to give an overview. Also, my personal prejudice is to see the Mondial more as a sports car than a GT, which certainly influenced what I highlighted.

As for the bumpers on the 3.2 and t, it wasn't really meant as a diss. I was just being frank about my opinion. I like all the Mondials. But I strongly prefer the protruding black bumpers of the 8 & QV. They root the car in a 70's look and feel, when many cars had those protruding black bumpers. To my eye they give the car an "eagle" like profile, and make it seem more aggressive looking. It's just personal taste. But if you're really 6'4" and 200lbs, if we ever discuss it in person - I say you're right! :)

ps- I actually really like the heavy clutch, and that the earlier cars are mechanically heavy in general. Adds to the "making you work for it" thing I was talking about. However, if we move back to CA I'm considering making it my daily driver. If I do that, I may add power steering. We'll see. I'm really torn on it.

16. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is why I didn't buy a 456. When I first came to Fchat it was to get PPI advice on the 456, because I hadn't owned a Ferrari since the 90's and was out of the loop. There were several for sale near me, all the mid 40k's-50k's range, including one beautiful Blu Pozzi car with Daytona seats. But I just couldn't get past the fact that the car looked too...I don't know. I'm trying not to say ordinary. It had elements that are nice updates from the Daytona. But it also has elements that remind me too much of a Camaro or other American car of the same era. I still kind of want one, but while I was thinking about all of this I started thinking about buying another Mondial. I found an 8 in black/red that i loved and made me forget all about the 456. But that 8 was $43k and still needed some work. Then I found a QV in the same colour combo. Needed a lot more work but was also a lot less money.
    I'm very very happy I bought another Mondial. They're such cool cars. I may one day buy a 456, or if I win the lottery, a dozen old Ferrari's, but I can't see myself ever selling the Mondial. It's got too big a spot in my heart.

17. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Great article. Although, I wish you hadn't rated them. To really know each model you probably have to own one. I would put the t first and you would in no way be able to change my mind. I know a few 3.2 owners who would argue all day that the 3.2 is the best. There is a lot to these cars that doesn't translate well in specs and photographs. There are a few owners on FChat who have owned all of them. Maybe to quote a collector as such would be more fair to the uninformed reader.

I mean last place and worst value for a Mondial t? Them's fightin' words! ;)

Dave

18. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I know what you're saying. But I clearly said there are many opinions, and that one is just mine.

Contrary to my own ratings, I actually think the t cabriolet is one of the nicer looking Ferrari's in general. It has the look of an elegant low speedboat sliding through the water. But the t coupe looks all wrong to me. Where with the earlier cars, I much prefer the coupes. Go figure.

The "rankings" are just my own, obviously. I don't think anyone who likes the look of the t or 3.2 is going to buy an 8 or a QV because I said so! ;)

19. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    Well done, thank you.

Please show me the door handle that is also to be found on the Daytona ;-)

(I scrolled through some Daytona images and could not locate it)

cheers

braq

20. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ha! God you're right! It's the 365 GT 2+2 that has the same style door handles. Jesus, that's embarrassing. I'll fix it. Thanks!

21. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    The Superformance wheels are Standard gauge I believe - which is the key aspect - if I'm not mistaken.

A VERY professional article!

22. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    MONDIAL is a beautiful car but under appreciated. Your article is spot on. Great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Dave,
    thanks for outing our big secret....it's a great, practical car.
    You love it or hate it, but those that love it go to great lenghts to get the best out of it.
    After all, it's a Ferrari, with all it's quirks and attitudes from an era I grew up in. Then I knew I had to have one....
    Best
    Jurgen

24. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Nice Thread!

However, the 3.4s are an entirely different animal for maintenance. Engine out for a water pump, for instance. The 3.2s are IMHO, the best of the lot. They are easily maintainable, and about as fast as the 3.4s. At least mine is. Consistently 115 mph in actual 1/2 mile speed trials. [And the best time shifted at 6,000 rpms!) So forget about the 8,000 rpm theatrics.

My 1986 3.2 Prugna Metallica scampers around my N. Georgia mountains with just about as much power that is useful. After about 15,000 miles I will shortly be on my third set of tires. I have had three supercharged Mark VII 5.0 in the same environment and while they MIGHT be faster in an actual 1/4 mile drag I am not entirely convinced.

Now I have contracted to buy a 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport, 3.6 twin trubo with 420 hp and will get back to report on it in a week or two after delivery.

25. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks David. I always enjoy reading about your adventures in your car! And I love the Prugna paint on a Mondial.

Funnily enough, everyone thinks the best version of the Mondial is the one they own! Including me!!! Lol.